FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The 10 most painful stings on the planet

simplybrar
[MOD MODE]
The material here is cut-paste and I would normally spamcan it. The topic seems to be of interest, however, so I have fixed the quote/citation and let the posting stand.
Bikerman
[/MOD MODE]

Quote:
Most of us will have felt the pain of a bee sting. Luckily most of us will have avoided the dreaded pain of a tarantula hawk or a fire ant.

Justin Schmidt felt all three of these - and 147 other horrible, burning sensations - after a dedicated life-long career devoted to insects.

Quote:
COUNTDOWN OF THE TOP 10 STINGERS: HOW SCHMIDT RATED THE PAIN

10) SWEAT BEE (RATING: 1.0)

SCHMIDT SAYS: Light, ephemeral, almost fruity. A tiny spark has singed a single hair on your arm.

9) FIRE ANT (RATING: 1.2)

SCHMIDT SAYS: Sharp, mildly alarming. Like walking across a shag carpet and reaching for the light switch.

Cool BULLHORN ACACIA ANT (RATING: 1.Cool

SCHMIDT SAYS: A rare, piercing, elevated sort of pain. Someone has fired a staple into your cheek.

7) BALD-FACED HORNET (RATING: 2.0)

SCHMIDT SAYS: Rich, hearty, slightly crunchy. Similar to getting your hand mashed in a revolving door.

6) YELLOW JACKET (RATING: 2.0)

SCHMIDT SAYS: Hot and smoky, almost irreverent. Imagine W. C. Fields extinguishing a cigar on your tongue.

5) HONEYBEE (RATING: 2.0)

SCHMIDT SAYS: The sensation is like a matchhead that flips off and burns on your skin.

4) RED HARVESTER ANT (RATING: 3.0)

SCHMIDT SAYS: Bold and unrelenting. Somebody is using a drill to excavate your ingrown toenail.

3) PAPER WASP (RATING: 3.0)

SCHMIDT SAYS: Distinctly bitter aftertaste. Like spilling a beaker of hydrochloric acid on a paper cut.

2) TARANTULA HAWK (RATING: 4.0)

SCHMIDT SAYS: Blinding, shockingly electric. A running hair drier has been dropped into your bubble bath.

1) KING OF THE STINGS: BULLET ANT (RATING: 4+)

SCHMIDT SAYS: Like fire-walking over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch rusty nail grinding into your heel.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2148089/The-10-painful-stings-planet-self-sacrificing-man-tried-150-different-varieties-science.html[/quote]
Josso
simplybrar wrote:
Justin Schmidt felt all three of these - and 147 other horrible, burning sensations - after a dedicated life-long career devoted to insects.

*ARRRRRRRRRRGH*

"Justin, you OK up there?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine I'm just doing some new research"
ocalhoun
^.^
I've heard the bullet ant was so named because being stung like it feels like getting shot.
eden288
scary 0.o
Dennise
What about the intense pain from a cone snail sting? A stingray hit is no picnic either.