FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Chrom

Tony The Tiger
I am unable to get Google Chrome installed correctly. I have been able to download a curiously small (723 KB) installer file from https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/. When I open the installer, I never get to a point where it asks me to accept any terms. However, Chrome now appears in my start menu and taskbar. Nonetheless, if I click on it at either location nothing happens.
silverdown
weird, it works for me.. Shocked
SonLight
I think all of Google's installers are designed to fetch the actual program from the site, so there's no mystery about the installer being small.

I use Chromium, the completely open-source and non-proprietary fork of Chrome on Linux, so my experience may not be too relevant. I think it also has terms you have to accept, but they're not quite as onerous as Chrome's.

I would suggest you uninstall Chrome or any related item if you can find them, then try again to download either Chrome or Chromium. They do seem to work well for most people, so I hope the problem was just a fluke. If it still fails, you might get more information by starting the installer from a terminal window, and post the result either here (we're probably all clueless, since it works ok for us) or on the Google site (if they have time to deal with your one-off glitch.
Tony The Tiger
silverdown wrote:
weird, it works for me.. Shocked

It is working now.
andro_king
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I am unable to get Google Chrome installed correctly. I have been able to download a curiously small (723 KB) installer file from https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/. When I open the installer, I never get to a point where it asks me to accept any terms. However, Chrome now appears in my start menu and taskbar. Nonetheless, if I click on it at either location nothing happens.

to install chrome..google for chrome installer download the pack from some file servers if the automatic installer(that 700+kb installer) dint work...the chrome setup file will be around 27mb i think..!!
google it for rest..!! specify your operating system in your search..!!
all the best..!!
mukesh
you have only crome installer not complete setup. Installer provide facility to download crome directly throught the internet.

so you have no crome software you have only a small download manager Smile
jasonmilsont
Google Chrome is a web browser which is very fast and advance. It is launched by google and so many people like to use this browser.
Da Rossa
If on topic, I still prefer Firefox over Google Chrome, and still use Chrome only because it's faster to load (the program itself, not rendering pages as far as I know). So, when I need quich information, then I type my hotkeys and launch Chrome. When I'm browsing for real, I use Firefox. I think it's more flexible.
Tony The Tiger
Da Rossa wrote:
If on topic, I still prefer Firefox over Google Chrome, and still use Chrome only because it's faster to load (the program itself, not rendering pages as far as I know). So, when I need quich information, then I type my hotkeys and launch Chrome. When I'm browsing for real, I use Firefox. I think it's more flexible.

Whenever I want to play video, I end up using Google Chrome. However, I prefer the certain functions of Firefox. Their history menu is far superior when I want to find closed tabs and closed windows. I also prefer the customizable search engine bar. Additionally, I have been unable to install Forecastfox on Chrome.
mgeek
Install chrome while connected to internet
hakaner
Google chrome offline installer: http://support.google.com/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=126299
johans
really? installation is very straight forward.. i guess you need to check your anti virus

Very Happy
Tony The Tiger
johans wrote:
really? installation is very straight forward.. i guess you need to check your anti virus

Very Happy

Above they are saying that you have to be online to install Chrome or use a different installer file. That is not straightforward to me.
Da Rossa
But why would you want to install Chrome while offline in the first place?
pauline5765
Try to re-install chrome. If it doesn't work, they restart computer, uninstall, download again and re-install.
Da Rossa
I've heard lately Chrome is "censoring" some legit sites, by pointing to a false positive of malware and displaying frightful red-alert messages. Turns out those sites are coincidentaly either right-wing and/or Christian-oriented. Some people said this is about some pro-gay propaganda supported by Google.

The last part is more difficult to believe, but the blockage is real. Also, Blogger has frozen an anti-gay, conservative blog hosted in there.

Any comments?
nepalstar
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Currently I'm also using Google Chrome.. When I'm trying to install Google Chrome, I also got surprised by seeing the size of Google Chrome installer file.. because that was in the size as you mentioned but when I run that installer it downloaded from internet required files and installation completed successfully...! so don't worry about that the size of that downloaded file that will automatically download other necessary files...!

All the best...!
andro_king
Google chrome is my default browser.Its awesome! Very Happy Install the installer while connected to internet that might get you out of this trouble! Very Happy best of luck!
lingku
you can try to use chromium!
zaxacongrejo
google chrome uses a lot of unnecessary ressources i recomend firefox
if you dont agree check for yourself install both and open your process manager or task manager
even with plugins adons whatever disabled/uninstaled chrome will open at least 3 process with long times of cpu utilization 3 and sometimes 4
mgeek
zaxacongrejo wrote:
google chrome uses a lot of unnecessary ressources i recomend firefox
if you dont agree check for yourself install both and open your process manager or task manager
even with plugins adons whatever disabled/uninstaled chrome will open at least 3 process with long times of cpu utilization 3 and sometimes 4

I agree. I hate those additions.
nirav07
i don't know why people prefer firefox when google chrome is the future. it can be used by multiple accounts and saves per user settings and bookmarks on the cloud. which can be operated even in mobile chrome browser
blueray
hakaner wrote:
Google chrome offline installer: http://support.google.com/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=126299

I found that this url was not worked as expected already !!
this also too: http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?standalone=1
blueray
I just found this link for downloading enterprise version of chrome(offline version).
It is still not clear the different between both typical and the enterprise one.

(~ 30mb in size)

http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/products.html?section=more

Reading the description text on google web site ...
manfer
blueray wrote:
I just found this link for downloading enterprise version of chrome(offline version).
It is still not clear the different between both typical and the enterprise one.

(~ 30mb in size)

http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/products.html?section=more

Reading the description text on google web site ...

The link you are pointing out is not chrome, it is google apps which is a totally different thing.

-------------------------------------------

About chrome getting more resources that firefox I doubt. And it is not easy to do measurement in the task manager. What is sure is both firefox and chrome nowadays get a lot of resources, modern browsers are really a pain in terms of resources consumption which is the price they make us pay to make their software work faster.

Really the huge resources consumption is the same in all modern software. It seems most developers hasn't the minor care on making their software be as less resources consumption as possible, something years ago was a priority. Now the priority is make software fast and with less consumption of developer resources (hours of development).

Just as an example Notepad++ memory usage is a little more than 7MB even with various files opened. Sublime Text 2 memory usage without any file opened is 17MB.

Since years ago when has been considered HD space and RAM and powerful CPUs where chip enough so there were no need to have a lot of precaution on resources consumption, software development has become that way.

---------------------

And about the question of the starter of this thread, there are always available the full package installers to install chrome without an internet connection. Someone previously already answered with one link to a full installer. But just in case, the best way to find them is search on google for "offline chrome installer" and you will get the support from google as the first result:

http://support.google.com/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=126299
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
About chrome getting more resources that firefox I doubt. And it is not easy to do measurement in the task manager.

test them and you will see
ist-olga
I always have some problems with Chrome: some home depot products are not displaying correctly and also some sites. I don't know exactly what's the problem and wondering if somebody else had the same problem.
zaxacongrejo
I never had that kind of problems maybe you need the reinstall windows
Do you know how to clean windows registry by hand?