FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

E3 2012

memno
Trying to watch this has been a whirlwind with work, and catching the re-airs after on G4, but here of some of my thoughts on what I've seen so far.

Microsoft press showing:

blahblah espn, mlb, nhl, machinima (exclusive? no more on youtube?) ; sequels, new Forza (I don't have an xbox, and GT is weak lately, so how good are these games?); your xbox connects with "glass-something" to your ipad/smart-phone, so you can be a **** looking at your phone while watching a movie.

PS3 press showing:

missed this, but EP Daily tells me there are sequels coming, on Vita is a sequel-something-or-other tactical shooter; as well as a new game from Heavy Rain/Indigo Prophesy developers. No Guardian info, as expected.

Ubisoft press showing:

I missed half of this, but I'm guessing (without internet searching) that Nintendo Wii-U (or U-Play) stands for Wii-Ubisoft, with Far Cry 3 coming on Wii-U's new console. (The tigers unlocked from their cages by the player to attack the enemy was pretty great.) Again, "I" don't know the details of this, but it looks slightly better than ps3 graphics--and these are the launch games. (Also way better-looking than ps3 launch games) This brings us to the understated show-stopper, Watch Dogs.

At first glance during the gameplay,(Watch Dogs) you'll immediately notice a parallel to gta4 but with more dynamic clothing animations and an overall advanced AI dynamic with npc's. This is a world in which every electronic device is accessible through hacking. (Cell phones, street lamps, etc.) And you have the master control to access averything from everyone in the world. Most exciting was the ability to apparently highlight anyone's electronic device and hack into it to listen or trace the person's call.

The demo they had showcased one person walking down the street, coming upon a club where the "target" was last seen, with the player walking up to the club, malfunctioning the bouncer's cell-phone, and walked in. . . no loading from street to detailed interior. Multi-bleeped cut-scene followed, along with the spectacular crash/shootout gameplay concluded. Once your character escaped via car, control seemed to go to another person watching it all on top of a building,, along with others scattered throughout the city map, with new objectives to ensure that first guy's safe passage through the city (the cops are on him, with helicopter) hence, the Watch Dogs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSmYVu6tjbw

Other thoughts:

Elder Scrolls Online --
-Graphically looks like very high-end WOW, not nearly Skyrim-quality graphics
-seems like combat will be much the same as Sky:blocking, etc.
-they want to incorporate player-on-player synergy, like someone throws oil down and and another uses fire spell
-initial class choosing, (mellee, magic)no more blademaster/necromancer, apparently
-PC/Mac

-New Black Ops has piercing bullets: Shoot through concrete barracades/vehicles/buildings (a "strength meter" appears that seems like the more strength bars you get, the heavier the bullet that comes out to pierce the object. (shows up as 5 bars that slowly fill up) More Michael Bay-like helicopter 'splosions, too.

What are your highlights??
memno
wow, so a cloned topic with links to some other site is all you guys got, huh? Anyway::

Here's info on some gameplay demos I saw during day 4 of G4's E3 coverage.

Crysis 3 - Just saw more gameplay and looks pretty good. Contrast from the monochromatic grey-scale tones of most new FPS games.
It took place inside NYC with rain-forest overgrowth. . .tall buildings act as mountains, with vegetation growing along it.
Overall feel is a forest valley with half-destructed buildings scattered throughout.

Hawken - An amazing-looking PVP mech game that will be free to play (open-beta) on December 12th of this year.
The demo had a very jumpy/touchy camera for looking around, seemed like it was on one of the lighter mechs. The Heavy, Heavy mechs
can transform into a gun turret that others can use. Includes customizable camo and weapons systems. Graphics are very good on this.
(waayy better than the new Armored Core.) Register at playhawken.com now for the closed beta, starting before the open-beta. Can't see them keeping it free for long. . .

Outernaughts (Facebook/Insomniac) - Blatantly Pokemon-style game with some dark-haired bearded guy capturing and training
monsters for use in NPC and PVP battles. There's also co-op dungeons. Said to be released by the end of this month.

XCom: Enemy Unknown - Futuristic tactical turned-based game with base-building and FF Tactics-meets-old, old Tom Clancy squad battles,
(the vibe I got, anyway) with dynamic cameras and strange enemies. (In the demo, the enemies were alien torsos wearing jetpacks and holding big guns.)
Looked fun, but not sure on the depth of strategy involved beyond finding cover and not letting the enemy surround you.

Battlefield 3 DLC - Never played any of these games aside from Bad Company, but they said the DLC here contains the largest map
ever for this game. I think it was 4-8 square kilometers. Some crazy, mad action was goin' on in the demo,, with tanks, helicopters, jet dogfights;
and a bomber-type of plane that basically sits up there, over-looking the entire map, raining droves of missiles down onto the battlefield.

The Last Of Us - I didn't expect this one at all. Saw it on day 4 and apparently it's a sequel. They said it was going into a survival horror direction,
and umm. . . This FPS is looking like an absolute must-have. The bleakest post-apocalyptic landscapes you've ever seen, filled with terrifying hordes
of creatures you've never seen. The demo I saw had the player happen upon what looked like some kind of random creature battle between what I can only
describe as a pack of insect-hyenas (maybe) and a swarm of giant werewolves. It was breathtaking and I felt the tension the developers were looking for,
just by watching it. Oh, and you have a watch you can look at, which shows how much time you have left to live. (I think it has something to do with finding
oxygen cannisters to prolong this.) This game might trump Watch Dogs for the best of E3 this year that I've seen, but it's close.

Notes:
-Sim City 5... cartoony with guy-in-rubber-suit to cheesily destroy your crappy town.
-Halo 4... I thought Halo was finished. oh, I guess it was Bungee is finished with Halo (new trilogy imminent)
-some MMO to be released simultaneously with a TV show in 2013... online player actions
affect the outcome of the show. futuristic Halo-like continuous battling in an open world. zzzzzz
Dementei
Hawken and Watch Dogs and of course the BF3 DLC all take the cake of this years E3.
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
weableandbob
Watch Dogs was certainly the most interesting for me, and it's coming out for PC Very Happy
LostOverThere
weableandbob wrote:
Watch Dogs was certainly the most interesting for me, and it's coming out for PC Very Happy

Yep, Watch Dogs looks magnificent. As far as the conferences went, everyone was a bit meh all around. Nintendo, I was especially disappointed with. They had so much going for them with the Wii U and they blew it...again. Very disappointed with that one. Sad

With that being said though, Rayman Legends blew my mind. For those of you who haven't seen it, check out this game-play trailer of it. I promise you won't be disappointed. Ensure your volume is turned right up:

memno
My last entry up there was mislead: from googling most of the game names after the bombardment
of E3 titles I seen on TV, so the description of the Last of Us (above) should have been for
Metro Last Light. I missed The Last of Us at the time, but having seen the gameplay
demo since has me stoked about playing that;; if the gameplay mechanic of killing people
changes your character, and if you can choose how to deal with each "bad guy" by maybe shooting
them in the legs, and then talking them out of being a threat. Either way, I'll buy both of these.