FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

phpList and hosting questions

inoshi
Hello Everybody,

I've semi successfully used phpList to send emails to my community as set up on Frihost.

However, it seems that I've got some extras I need some identification on.

1) When emails go out via phplist from Frihost I have a new header that and a new email, being: inoshi@host.frihost.org instead of inoshi@[my.dom]. Does anybody know about this?

Also I set up a list-bounce@[my.dom] email in phpList, however everything bounced comes back to inoshi@[my.dom]. Not sure why, but something to do with above.

2) Since AOL didn't like batches of emails coming from an unrecognized domain (host.frihost.org), I got a bunch of bounces repeatedly, which sent me over my sending limit and stopped my email from going out to all members of the list. As stated above, those emails didn't go to my list-bounce address, but to my inoshi@[my.dom], which is somehow linked to header address inoshi@host.frihost.org (I think). They all read "Unroutable address".

Here is a copy of the header of one of those returned emails, w/ some substitutions:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

EXAMPLE@gmail.com
Unrouteable address

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <inoshi@host.frihost.org>
Received: from inoshi by host.frihost.org with local (Exim 4.77)
(envelope-from <inoshi@host.frihost.org>)
id 1SaTV5-0005Mx-UF
for EXAMPLE@gmail.com; Fri, 01 Jun 2012 17:10:52 +0200
To: EXAMPLE@gmail.com
Subject: Example Event: June 8, 2012
X-PHP-Originating-Script: 714:class.phpmailer.php
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:10:51 +0000
Message-ID: <8922e408528b2479c355aafd8de166a2@localhost.localdomain>
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: PHPMailer [version 1.73]
X-Mailer: phplist v2.10.18
X-MessageID: 9
X-ListMember: EXAMPLE@gmail.com
Errors-To: list-bounce@[my.dom]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="b1_8922e408528b2479c355aafd8de166a2"
Sender: <inoshi@host.frihost.org>

--b1_8922e408528b2479c355aafd8de166a2
Content-Type: text/plain; charset = "UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Any ideas here?

3) To the side, if php IMAP 3 were installed on Frihost system I could use phpList to autotrack bounces. Enhancement request list suggestion (thanks).

I think that covers this experiment for now.

Cheers All,

Inoshi
inoshi
Hi - I did another mailing, and this time added AOL users after the mailing when out, and still got this message:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

EMAIL@aol.com
Unrouteable address

So, can Frihost provide the content of what AOL is sending back that causes the mail server to keep on retrying?

For example this line, able to retrieve something based on the reference at the end:

Jul 7 19:39 list-bounce@u.nu news@u.nu 176.9.110.136 15.6 KB myriadmil@aol.com retry 1SnYuC-0000tF-N5

I don't seem to have any control over how frequently and how many times the mail server will retry. Is there a way to configure the amount or timing of retries, and then fail the email address?

Clearly there is a problem with AOL and they are difficult to communicate with.

Thanks for Your Attention,

Inoshi
inoshi
Oh, and a PS - when I email from my desktop client and gmail account, in batches of less than 100, the AOL addressees seem to be delivered to (no error messages returned).
Bondings
@inoshi, emailing to AOL used to be extremely hard. We used to have the text "don't use an aol email address" at registration because the activation emails never arrived at AOL. I'm not sure if it has changed by now, but I doubt it. And I think this was the case on all the servers we had.

Anyway, I think the control you wish to have over your emails is more than what a shared hosting account can offer. A VPS would be better suited.

The reason why it works for you, is because you use a gmail account. They can hardly block gmail - one of the largest email providers.
inoshi
Hmm, yes, at one point before I had a formal list management software I had problems with AOL and I sent all of the AOL users a note about it . . . at that time AOL was also easier to communicate with and I provided them with information that they seemed to respond too.

We'll stick with it and see how the next mailing turns out. This one had actually improved, a no. of AOL emails went through, however it appears it might be linked to retries, and that was why I was asking, because those retries (I think ) count on my daily email quota!

Thanks @bondings!