FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

View your posts & Mark all topics read

sonam
I am often using "View your posts" link on right side of fourm index. This is, for me, the best way to see are someone reply in same forum like me.

When I open any forum I can see option "Mark all topics read" what is very useful if I don't want reply on any new message but there is not the same link on "View your posts" page.

My question is:
Can we make the similar link like "Mark all topics read" for "View your posts" page. Many time I don't want to reply in some forum where I was post before few years but I must open it if I would like to remove new message notification (orange bell).

There is enough place on right side for link and only question is are this too complicated for coding. Question

Sonam
deanhills
I don't know why, but it happens most of the time that the highlights of my unread posts just disappear - i.e. they have the appearance of all been read, even when I have not read them. So even though I see it as a great suggestion, there must be something in viewing them that seems to automatically mark all my posts as read. Don't know whether it is a browser thing. I use Mozilla Firefox 13.
truespeed
In phpbb version 2 once you log out all your posts are marked as read,its different in phpbb3 as they still show as unread even after logging out and in again.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
its different in phpbb3 as they still show as unread even after logging out and in again.

Unless server-side tracking is disabled and you clear your cookies.
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:
truespeed wrote:
its different in phpbb3 as they still show as unread even after logging out and in again.

I am not sure what you mean by that,i don't think i made my point clear,i mean all posts that are unread will remain unread once logged out and in again,naturally the ones you have read will stay read.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
truespeed wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by that,i don't think i made my point clear,i mean all posts that are unread will remain unread once logged out and in again,naturally the ones you have read will stay read.

But phpbb3 keeps track of that using the database... unless the admin turns that feature off to reduce server load.
In that case, it keeps track of that using client-side cookies... Which means it would lose track if you cleared your cookies.
sonam
deanhills wrote:
I don't know why, but it happens most of the time that the highlights of my unread posts just disappear - i.e. they have the appearance of all been read, even when I have not read them. So even though I see it as a great suggestion, there must be something in viewing them that seems to automatically mark all my posts as read. Don't know whether it is a browser thing. I use Mozilla Firefox 13.

I don't think this is in correlation with browser. I am using Chrome and sometimes have same problem. Sometimes this is because browser (for some reason) log me out, sometimes without any reason.

@ocalhoun and truespeed
I don't know nothing about phpbb but I think Bondings will not upgrade this forum so quick. For this reason I am asking is it possible to insert link "Mark all topics read" in egosearch page or this is limitation of phpbb version.

Sonam
ocalhoun
In this forum, you can mark all topics read just by logging out.
sonam
ocalhoun wrote:

Yeah, I know this solution. But it is more easy if we can install "Mark all topic read". I think the members what using few times daily this egosearch page need something like that. You can look in this image below where I am copy/paste link "Mark all topic read" (red bordered) from one other forum in my egosearch page. Sometimes I have more then five new posts but I would like to answer only one. Then I need to open all other posts or log out like you are suggest if I want to have clear egosearch page. The both solutions for clearing are little bit unnecessary clicks if we can solve this with one click on "Mark all topic read" link.

Sonam
abhizz
sonam wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Yeah, I know this solution. But it is more easy if we can install "Mark all topic read". I think the members what using few times daily this egosearch page need something like that. You can look in this image below where I am copy/paste link "Mark all topic read" (red bordered) from one other forum in my egosearch page. Sometimes I have more then five new posts but I would like to answer only one. Then I need to open all other posts or log out like you are suggest if I want to have clear egosearch page. The both solutions for clearing are little bit unnecessary clicks if we can solve this with one click on "Mark all topic read" link.

Sonam

yes that box can make the topics all you read already! I thnik you can make some changes also in profile page