FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ASDL

mathew
I was thinking of investing in ASDL. Does anyone know what sort of speeds are average and haw big a limit I would need. Im a medium user. I dont want to go buying it unless I have a bit of knowledge to fire back at the sales rep! Thanks in advance
Donutey
I'm guessing you meant ADSL (Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line)

Where do you live? and what sort of speed do you want?

Most company's offer a high-speed line usually 1.5Mbps down/ and 768K up.
and
A lower speed line for half price ( usually 768Kbps down/ 128Kbps up)

because many providers are local it's best to ask around, and look up reviews on the internet

good luck.
gh0stface
The average speed for ADSL also depends on how close or far away you are to the CO (central office) and the quality of the line. The closer you are, the higher the speed. The farther away you are, the speed will drop a bit.
n0obie4life
Donutey wrote:
Most company's offer a high-speed line usually 1.5Mbps down/ and 768K up.

I'm stuck on that and I'm getting line drops. It's better to get cable. Unless you don't mind getting line drops.
Donutey
ehh... i have verizon, i've only had two line drops over a year, so i'm satisfied and its ALWAYS at the maximum 1.5mbps
nntien
I think the ADSL is very good due to using telephone line. So we can use in the same telephone line, but we can dial to any one normal!
Arin
I agree with nntien.

ADSL uses existing telecoms infrastructure, thus it's awesome in countries with lower level of such infrastructure development.

With wise approach it is possible to squeeze veeery much from 128kb line Wink.

Cheers,
Arin.
SoftStag
I'd agree that cable is more reliable if it is available. Although ADSL is normally great.

In the UK, you can get up to 8Mb download on ADSL. If you are in the UK check out http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and http://www.ispreview.co.uk/ They give great info on ADSL and ISPs to help you make the right choice.