FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FTP Program of choice

Huhnteufel
What is your favorite FTP program?

My first FTP program and favorite for years was WS_FTP, it's easy to use, but it lacks some functionality and is pretty aged. In recent years I've been using Filezilla, which has been an excellent program, and I have only had one time that I had issues uploading. Within the past couple weeks I've found an FTP program called Novell NetDrive, which makes FTP connections as mapped network drives, treating your FTP like another drive on your computer. I've been very happy with this, and might end up switching to it off of Filezilla.
Grimboy
I use filezilla for editing permissions and Dreamweavers built in thing for everything else. If it wasn't for dreamweavers ftp I would be using php designer.
m_furquan36
I agree, WS_FTP and WS FTP Pro are very good ftp softwares. I think theyre just plain easy to use! Smile Especially on Linux servers

The only this that lacks in WS_FTP is correction of previous bugs. I mean, whoever thought that cancelling file transfer to a server meant DISCONNECTING from it! Confused
dark_one
well, I use Core FTP... it was the only one i could find ages ago when I first started... and is really easy to use...

I have only ever tried one other FTP prog. I can't remember it's name and I hated it...
mike4652
http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
FTP Commander is a real easy ftp program to use and the basic version is free. The pro version is only about $30.00 US.
It has a real simple innerface, and is real easy to set up.
fearnot
The perfect ftp prog is Total commander, known as Windows commander. I have been using it for more than 6 years with no problems.
Peace
haris3
I thing the ftp server in dreamweaver is pretty good. I also use windows ftp, it is also very useful. Sometimes you have to refresh dreamweaver's ftp server to get it to update files. But still an excellent program. I use dreamweaver and frontpage together for my websites.
haris3
I thing the ftp server in dreamweaver is pretty good. I also use windows ftp, it is also very useful. Sometimes you have to refresh dreamweaver's ftp server to get it to update files. But still an excellent program. I use dreamweaver and frontpage together for my websites.
Arcath
i use Filezilla for evryhting, i dont use the one built into Dreamweaver.

I personally hate WS_FTP, my dada uses it for the FTP client in his bussiness, now i have "taken over" the website section i put filezilla on the PC of course he doesnt have the pwords written down so i still have to use WS_FTP Sad
Travis
I use the smart ftp it is simple and good
he has everything that I need

another that I already used is also the cute ftp 7.1 that also and very good
Cool
haoys
i think Flashfxp is very easy to use and i like it
boho999
WS Ftp is an excellent choice. Especially if you need to set up special links it supports scripting which is a great feature.
For simple tasks the Windows command ftp is great.
friscofrankie
I use gFTP in Linux and ws_ftp in windows. The FTP protcol hasn;t changed so why should I? For many functions I think the command line ftp is best. For updating from a development/testng area to the production site when you are not logged in locally to either machine, I've found that scripting the function in Perl and then using the installed versions of ftp on both win and *nix platforms works best for me.
mustaq
i dont want to stuck with paid service which make worst my registry so i am using coreftp which is free version there have paid also

and i belive filzila is best since its open source software

and preaty fast than cuteftp
misterdimiz
I use FILEZILLA.
It's very easy to use.
It's freeware and is has multi-langs support.
Motif
I've used FileZilla before, and I must say I didnt like it.
Many hosts just didnt load, resulting in timeouts and such.
Now I use SmartFTP, and I have to say, its one of the best I've used so far.
Its both easy, and powerful Smile
win66
Huhnteufel wrote:
What is your favorite FTP program?

My first FTP program and favorite for years was WS_FTP, it's easy to use, but it lacks some functionality and is pretty aged. In recent years I've been using Filezilla, which has been an excellent program, and I have only had one time that I had issues uploading. Within the past couple weeks I've found an FTP program called Novell NetDrive, which makes FTP connections as mapped network drives, treating your FTP like another drive on your computer. I've been very happy with this, and might end up switching to it off of Filezilla.

I perfer CuteFTP Professional .
yoryenathan
FlashFXP
is pretty nice...
i dont need to much justquick and easy... comfortable

Just like so I can put stuff and take off stuff.. I mean - thats FTP right? ^^
snowboardalliance
I use Core FTP Lite. Works great and I haven't had any problems.
ammonkc
on my windows box I always use CuteFTP pro. its really good, simple to use, and stable. but when I need to ftp updates to a website, I just use the built in ftp feature in dreamweaver 8. dreamweaver makes it really simple to upload updates to a site while coding. and what comes in really handy when working on a team is the cvs like features. it has a checkin/checkout system that can help manage version when working on a team. on my mac I usually use transmit.app
bigdan
I've pretty much always used WS_FTP...pretty simple to use, quick and simple.

Mind you, it's crap when it comes to downloading off FTP servers...
ammonkc
the nice thing about ftp on my mac is the new transmit widget. you just drop a file on the widget and it goes. no need to connect, or even type in an address and password and all that crap. its really handy if you have a ftp location that you upload to all the time.
Evil Homer
Well, i use Cute FTP professional and i think it΄s really easy to use, easy on your system and all, it works great (for me Razz )
edallica
it has to be filezilla.

opensource programs are the way forward.

is dreamweaver any good? i prefer to hand code everything. does no one else find that its much easier to solve cross browser problems when hand coding? when using a WYSIWYG editor like dreamweaver im sure it must be nearly impossible to pick out problems when it randomly inserts code all over the place!
mtoni
I use flash fxp too...

easy to handle and you can fxp too (from server to server filetransfer)
It goes a lot faster then first downloading the files to you pc and then upload them to another server

before flashfxp i used leechftp