FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A Venus Transit

zimmer
Hello everyone,
If you are interested on Venus transit this is the best time to discover because if you missed it then it will happend again in 2117. here are the facts..

A Venus Transit occurs when we can see Venus passing directly in front of the Sun. This is similar to when the Moon passes in front of the Sun on a solar eclipse. Unlike the Moon, which covers most of the Sun, Venus appears as a small dot crossing the face of the Sun. A transit (sometime called a passage) can only occur with the inner planets--Mercury and Venus--because they are the only two that can lie between the Earth and Sun during their orbits.

We are in the midst of the first Venus Transit of this millennium. The Venus Transit presently upon us comes in a pair, with each transit in the pair spaced eight years apart. There will be one transit on June 8, 2004 and one on June 6, 2012.

This is a rare once in a life time event. In one 243-year Venus Transit cycle there are two pair spaced 121.5 ±8 years apart. The last Venus Transit (pair) occurred 129.5 years ago in 1874 and 1882. The next pair will occur 113.5 years from this one, in 2117 and 2125. Although the transits currently occur in pairs, this is not always the case, sometimes there is only one transit, as explained later in this article.

This article explores the eight-year pentagonal cycle of Venus; how the retrogrades of Venus are created; the 243-year Venus Transit cycle; why the transits in this cycle come in pairs for a while and why they then become singular; the drift of this cycle through the zodiak; the star alignments of the 2004/2012 transits in the sidereal zodiak; the psychophysiology (mental-emotional-physical facets) of Venus in our lives; and the astrophysical resonances of Venus in light (color), sound, and brain wave frequencies.

Related information link: http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/transitofvenus/
johans
zimmer wrote:
Hello everyone,
If you are interested on Venus transit this is the best time to discover because if you missed it then it will happend again in 2117. here are the facts..

A Venus Transit occurs when we can see Venus passing directly in front of the Sun. This is similar to when the Moon passes in front of the Sun on a solar eclipse. Unlike the Moon, which covers most of the Sun, Venus appears as a small dot crossing the face of the Sun. A transit (sometime called a passage) can only occur with the inner planets--Mercury and Venus--because they are the only two that can lie between the Earth and Sun during their orbits.

We are in the midst of the first Venus Transit of this millennium. The Venus Transit presently upon us comes in a pair, with each transit in the pair spaced eight years apart. There will be one transit on June 8, 2004 and one on June 6, 2012.

This is a rare once in a life time event. In one 243-year Venus Transit cycle there are two pair spaced 121.5 ±8 years apart. The last Venus Transit (pair) occurred 129.5 years ago in 1874 and 1882. The next pair will occur 113.5 years from this one, in 2117 and 2125. Although the transits currently occur in pairs, this is not always the case, sometimes there is only one transit, as explained later in this article.

This article explores the eight-year pentagonal cycle of Venus; how the retrogrades of Venus are created; the 243-year Venus Transit cycle; why the transits in this cycle come in pairs for a while and why they then become singular; the drift of this cycle through the zodiak; the star alignments of the 2004/2012 transits in the sidereal zodiak; the psychophysiology (mental-emotional-physical facets) of Venus in our lives; and the astrophysical resonances of Venus in light (color), sound, and brain wave frequencies.

Related information link: http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/transitofvenus/

In a few hour now the transit of Venus will appear... i have seen in the news today that here in the Philippines observing the transformation in PAGASA observatory..
Ankhanu
Rain, rain, rain... no Transit for me Sad
mazito
i set up my day to have one hour to see it in my Celestron Nexstar 114 and solar filter, but the clouds never open
SonLight
There are some nice pictures and description of the transit available at:

http://news.yahoo.com/transit-venus-explained-stages-todays-rare-sun-crossing-114501461.html

I see that the path of Venus across the Sun was failrly close to the edge. I don't see the transit as very visually exciting, although the fact that it happens and the exact way it happens are important for our understanding of the heavens. The article does link to space.com which doubtless has some good p9ictures and videos.

Maybe later I will find time to get more technical explanations about the paired transits (eight years apart, every century or so) and the overall mechanics of the transit. They do mention that a black image follows Venus like a trail as it enters transit and precedes it just before it leaves. This apparently interferred with efforts to find the Earth to Sun distance back in the eighteenth century. It seems that if they accurately measured the time the "trail" disappeared in different locations they would get the same result, but would have to rethink the calculations and would not be as confident about the result.
GuidanceReader
I got to watch it online... way too many clouds and rain to watch it any other way here.