FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone ever scammed you?

lightwate
We were almost scammed today.

Earlier today someone called my phone asking for my mom (she mentioned her full name). It sounded serious (hence scary) so I made a joke telling my sister it was because I won the laptop raffle. After around 10 minutes of talking, my mom told us that it was something about winning a 3 day accommodation for her and my dad to either Bangkok or Bohol. I remember that raffle! I signed that two days ago after buying shirts at this sports sale event!

I was excited because it was the first time I actually witness someone close to me winning a raffle. Anyway, to claim the prize, they said my parents have to go to a certain restaurant and eat the free dinner and listen to a 90 minute presentation to 'formally award' the winners.

Everything sounds legit and no one in our country would want to waste so much load/credits to scam people (because usually the scams are for tricking you into sending them load). The hotel reservations also last for 6 months. The only downside is that we can only claim the prize until tomorrow night.

The whole time pressure and the formality made my parents decide to go. But as soon as we got home, eager to use my dad's new iPad, he researched for the company. He found out that they have been giving those 'prices' since 2009. and those weren't really raffles - more of picking their 'victims' because a lot of people apparently win them. The free dinner was legit though, but they say that once you're there, they will offer you irresistible stuff like cheap and 'good' investments, etc which later turn out as a big scam and you lose all your money.

whew. that was close! they called me around 3 times after that trying to confirm if we really weren't claiming the prize haha!

anyone else have scam-related stories? Smile
standready
Well, at least there 'free' meal.
Insanity
Yeah, my girlfriend got scammed when she gave away her social security number to some telemarketer (dont' ask me why she did it), and she ended up losing a lot of money in her bank account as well as some personal information. It's good to be cautious at all times, and never give away sensitive information unless you explicitly trust the person on the other end. This usually is best if you don't give them the information if they are calling for you; instead, you should call them, that way you know who you are talking to.
Josso
Well thankfully only once as far as I know. Was an ebay related thing and I'm still not sure whether they knew what they were doing. Safe to say we ended up couple of hundred quid down on it. Bought an analogue synthisizer on ebay - would seem fine to anyone apart from people who know about synths thats the major issue with the whole thing. It was like the resonance on the master filter was permenantly up... basically it turns a incredibly flexible machine into a beep machine.
pauline5765
Yes. I was on my 1st year in college in a new city when I was scammed. When I was on my way home from university, an innocent woman in her 30s (she seriously looks pretty and innocent) asked for some change enough to get in a cab, coz she accidentally left her wallet on a previous cab. She said she's new in the city and doesn't know anyone and asked if I could spare a small amount of change. Since the woman didn't really look like a beggar and has decent clothes and good looks, I didn't thought that she's a scammer. But then, actually that time, I honestly left my wallet at home, so I couldn't help her. But she insists that she will walk with me home so I could get my wallet and give her some money. She's a good conversationalist as well, so while we were walking I never thought that she's a criminal. When I was home, I got my wallet and gave her some small amount of money enough to ride a cab back her home, but she asked for more saying she'll pay it back soon. She said she already knows my home, so she'll drop by the money she borrowed soon. So I gave her additional money.

Then when she's gone, I realized that she's a stranger and I was actually scammed. She never came back to return my money.
menino
I got scammed once.
I was looking for cheap laptops online and found this site which offered it, and when I paid by westrn union, I was expecting a reply, but got none.
I was totally flabberghasted, and then realised I was too greedy to get such cheap laptops.
I learnt my lesson of course, and the amount was about $250/-.
I remember emailing the guy before getting the laptops and he asked me if I wanted more for a cheap price, and I said, maybe after I get these laptops, I woudl consider it.
The offer came from Romania, so I should have guessed somethign wrong at that time, and also for such a cheap price.
Cosmoslayer
I have maybe when I'm still a child and on online games. Very Happy
spinout
every women an this planet is a SCAM! Laughing
deanhills
I think I've been gullible with friends who have tried practical jokes on me as I generally trust them, but for the public I'm always alert and wary. For me if it is too good to be true it is definitely too good to be true. I only use my mobile phone so can pretty much see where the phone originates from. If it is not one of my friends or the number does not make sense I very rarely answer it.
silverdown
I knew someone who got a check in the mail it had all the security features on the document such as water mark and a heat disappearing logo. It was for 4,000 USD after it was cashed and spent she had some bank official at her door asking for the money or to deposit funds into her account to be settle. She end up going to court and they settled for half since it wasn't her fault and the bank didnt use secure methods to make sure the check was valid and funds where available. Exclamation
johans
yap, I have been scam with online job application before he promise to give me work abroad in exchange of money as faster transaction with a big salary and a promising vacant position based on my experience.. and the second one is an online business giving me opportunity for only one payment of a life time.. i this time i used the system for only 2 months ... wasting of money and time..
Hello_World
I got cold call from a solar power company and as I had been thinking about getting solar for a long time I said ok send a rep and we'll listen. So the guy came and did the whole sales pitch and then the whole 'if you don't get it now you'll miss out on the great deal' thing... we just had to put a $500- deposit on it...
But we insisted on thinking about it and then going to the office.. luckily. He said they didn't have an office right now because they were in the middle of moving...

We would never have seen that $500- again. We were pretty lucky that we were cautious.
Josso
pauline5765 wrote:
Yes. I was on my 1st year in college in a new city when I was scammed. When I was on my way home from university, an innocent woman in her 30s (she seriously looks pretty and innocent) asked for some change enough to get in a cab, coz she accidentally left her wallet on a previous cab. She said she's new in the city and doesn't know anyone and asked if I could spare a small amount of change. Since the woman didn't really look like a beggar and has decent clothes and good looks, I didn't thought that she's a scammer. But then, actually that time, I honestly left my wallet at home, so I couldn't help her. But she insists that she will walk with me home so I could get my wallet and give her some money. She's a good conversationalist as well, so while we were walking I never thought that she's a criminal. When I was home, I got my wallet and gave her some small amount of money enough to ride a cab back her home, but she asked for more saying she'll pay it back soon. She said she already knows my home, so she'll drop by the money she borrowed soon. So I gave her additional money.

Then when she's gone, I realized that she's a stranger and I was actually scammed. She never came back to return my money.

The "change for the bus" thing is endless in the UK. It's like... hmm would this bus your chasing be a dragon by any chance. Someone I know had some woman get in his car and refused to get out unless he paid for sex, then it was like lend me some money, then it was give me money or I'll take of my clothes off and say you raped me to passers by. Police are never around when you need them lol
busaboss
Good thing you realized it before anything else. I don't have experience in such cases and I hope I would not have one. I should be careful..
abhizz
lightwate wrote:

Earlier today someone called my phone asking for my mom (she mentioned her full name). It sounded serious (hence scary) so I made a joke telling my sister it was because I won the laptop raffle. After around 10 minutes of talking, my mom told us that it was something about winning a 3 day accommodation for her and my dad to either Bangkok or Bohol. I remember that raffle! I signed that two days ago after buying shirts at this sports sale event!

I was excited because it was the first time I actually witness someone close to me winning a raffle. Anyway, to claim the prize, they said my parents have to go to a certain restaurant and eat the free dinner and listen to a 90 minute presentation to 'formally award' the winners.

Everything sounds legit and no one in our country would want to waste so much load/credits to scam people (because usually the scams are for tricking you into sending them load). The hotel reservations also last for 6 months. The only downside is that we can only claim the prize until tomorrow night.

The whole time pressure and the formality made my parents decide to go. But as soon as we got home, eager to use my dad's new iPad, he researched for the company. He found out that they have been giving those 'prices' since 2009. and those weren't really raffles - more of picking their 'victims' because a lot of people apparently win them. The free dinner was legit though, but they say that once you're there, they will offer you irresistible stuff like cheap and 'good' investments, etc which later turn out as a big scam and you lose all your money.

whew. that was close! they called me around 3 times after that trying to confirm if we really weren't claiming the prize haha!

Me also scamed by one bet site, they told they will give full money. But i was scamed Crying or Very sad
kenxeiko
I can't remember that I ever scammed or not.. But at least I never lost my money of somethings like that
andro_king
ya i have been scammed by survey sites but i have never lost my money or something but have wasted my precious time.. Embarassed Shocked
loremar
andro_king wrote:
ya i have been scammed by survey sites but i have never lost my money or something but have wasted my precious time.. Embarassed Shocked

What's infuriating is them making bucks out of your precious time. Time is Gold.... That is if you get the gold not them other people.
andro_king
loremar wrote:
andro_king wrote:

What's infuriating is them making bucks out of your precious time. Time is Gold.... That is if you get the gold not them other people.

ya time is gold.. Smile will not waste it..!! i got scammed 4years before after that i never wasted my time for any offers claiming do this refer people so you earnn this and that and many more..!!
andro_king
loremar wrote:
andro_king wrote:

ya time is gold.. Smile will not waste it..!! i got scammed 4years before after that i never wasted my time for any offers claiming do this refer people so you earn this and that and many more..!!
ankitdatashn
I would like to tell a story of nearly a decade ago when internet was relatively new here in india for normal home users, I was surfing casually like anyday on dialup when suddenly an image drew my attention, 'congratulations! you have won a cruise holiday in xyz place for 5 days and 6 nights', also running along was a countdown timer which was showing 4-5 minutes left, when I clicked on that ad a contact number of USA was shown, It was quite late in night but I told my father, he seemed skeptical about it and didn't show much interest, somehow I requested him to atleast call on the provided number. I called and when the voice on the other side asked about credit card I handed over to my father, my father said that we don't have a credit card. I am glad that my father has taught me vital lessons in life along with circumstances Smile
nickfyoung
lightwate wrote:

Way back in my early days of looking to find something online I came across a legit looking website so signed up. I had an international phone call within the hour and conned into sending money for a website. They set it all up and it looked good and promised to make a lot of money. Next day they called again and offered an upgrade for more money so that my website would make me even more money. Some of the traffic that they promised was already starting to show so forked out again. It cost me around $8000 all together, a shocking amount really to be conned out of. My website never did make any money. The time before that I bought some one on one coaching by phone where they set up a website for me. That never made any money either and cost me about $2000 dollars. So that is $10000 down the drain. Lovely.
spinout
Hm, yes the Finnish entepreneur that was going to install a car port - it ended up with a broken plenum and a port that missed the floor with an inch... and a lot of rubbish on the grass...

when we went to the court he threatened with russian mafia... luckily the company is no more since the judge deleted his business permission...
dannygarcia
Got scammed 100 from this chinese site 3 years ago, i was stupid enough to use moneygram
nigam
i got scammed twice offering jobs abroad 12 years ago...the one was $400 when a foreign guy was here in our country offering job in Europe...we were 30 of us paid for us to get a visa and he will be the one to process it. we were divided into groups and the 1st group and the foreign guy did went to Hongkong, right after that, the foreign guy took the bag full of money and the 1st group left them right there.
spinout
Women... always... DO THAT!
It is a scam the whole concept!
The only way to have any use of women if to turn them upside down and use them as money keepers Smile
menino
I think the most scams come from Nigeria.
I've gotten emails from the President of Nigeria. Laughing
k_s_baskar
I scammed by a hosting site for a affiliate program. They announce to offer $5 for each referral, i referred more than 200 clients but not yet get even a single penny.
Sad
playfungames
I got scammed ones. I wanted to purchase an online script and it was not found as open source at that time. I saw a user who was running the site with the features that I wanted in his site. I told him that I wanted to buy the script and domain. After a few emails we agreed on one hundred dollars. I sent him the money and then I never heard from him. The guy's site also went offline after a few months. He totally disappeared. He could have just transferred the script to me, but he did not and I could not understand why. He was taking the site down anyway so there was nothing to lose for him. I guess scamming me was one of his priorities or something really bad happened to him in real life.

Since then I have been very careful in making purchases online. I have minimized them actually.
pauline5765
Yeah. But it wasn't because of a phone call or a text message. We got scammed through a good looking foreign guy. Well, he looked too innocent to be a criminal and a scammer. He said he was a web developer and asked for downpayment so he can make a complicated website for the company of my mom. He got through us through a family friend (who was also scammed as well). He took away all our money and still no website. I warned my mom beforehand about him. But my mom, being all so stubborn and an attitude with like why-would-i-listen-to-a-child, doesn't want to listen to me. So ... yeah.
alongkichu
Don't know bout frihost yet but i've been scammed by a couple of others Mad
BigGeek
You know honestly there are more scams out there then legit offers, sad but true. It seems that the only way to make money any more is to lie and cheat people, and actually helping them in an effort to make money, and have them make money is all just a big pie in the sky dream.

If making money legitimately was profitable, and worth while, you would see everyone doing it. Unfortunately the best fastest and easiest way to make money is to lie, cheat, and steal to get it. I know that sounds pessimistic but it is the truth. If it wasn't then why are there hundreds of scams out there to every one legit offer?

Like right now in my life, I have gotten involved with a quality company offering a good product and the Multi-Level Marfketing ability to earn great commission from the sale of the product.

Can't get any one to budge and sign up and promote the product or take the weight loss challenge. But the same people I presented my opportunity to, have gone and thrown there money away on scams, and believed liars, and gotten ripped off.

Honestly it is easy to scam and steal from people, if it wasn't why are there so many liars and scams out there, and why will people decline an honest offer with a honest person only to then get involved with a liar and a scammer.

Peopl want to be ripped off and lied to is the only thing I can think of Twisted Evil
appsapps
Back in the 80's I invented something (a baby product) that never made it to market, thanks to me being scammed by one of those "inventor's help" companies. Back then there weren't as many of these companies around, they didn't run a gazillion ads on TV, and there were little to no resources available to research these companies to find out if they were legit. The internet, as we know it today, just didn't exist yet.

It was something I made for my daughter to use, to prevent her from throwing her bottle out of her stroller.

A good friend of mine suggested I get a patent for it and find a company to mass produce it and make mad amounts of money on royalties.

He put me in touch with a company that supposedly specialized in helping inventors get their products patented and bringing them to market. (he found them in the phone book)

Word of advice: Don't deal with these companies. They will do nothing to help you. It will cost you a lot of money and you will get nowhere.

After paying $400 for a rather poorly written "market study report", they managed to talk me into paying another $5000 and entering into a 5 year contract with them, promising to contact manufacturers and pitching my idea to them, and if a company was interested, they would get them to pay the cost of patenting it in my name, and I would get a royalty on every single copy of my invention that they manufactured, regardless of whether they actually sold any.

They convinced me that it was far cheaper to let them handle it, since they had offices all over the world and could set up meetings with company executives. They said my cost in air travel alone would exceed the $5000 if I tried to do it myself, nevermind hotels, paying for expensive lunches, drinks, etc. They also said they were experienced and knew what to say, so I would have a better chance of getting a deal. And they had their own contract lawyers, specializing in royalty agreements, to protect my interests.

I fell for it, hook, line, and sinker. I took out a personal loan to cover the cost, from a financing company that turned out to be owned by them. It took me 2 years of high monthly payments to pay it off.

And what did they actually do for me? Did they contact all the big name baby product companies like Gerber or Fisher Price? No, they contacted publishers, like the one that produces Parents magazine.

They mailed out form letters to the editors of magazines targeted at the consumer that would be most interested in my product. They never contacted a single manufacturer. Those "inventors help" companies do this all the time, for any and every product idea that comes through their doors, no matter how good or bad the product idea is. The magazine editors are used to it and know it's all crap and toss every letter in the trash without ever opening them.

And they tied my hands for 5 years, preventing me from doing all the work myself, otherwise I'd still have to give them a large cut of my royalties if I succeeded in finding a company willing to manufacture it, on my own.

So I decided to wait till the contract expired. There was no way I was going to let these swindlers have another dime.

But when the contract was up, I didn't pursue marketing it myself because a conversation with someone made me realize that my great little invention had no hope and would cause the death of many innocent babies that had idiots for parents. The more popular my invention was, the greater the potential for it to kill, because of stupid people that don't watch their kids properly and don't follow instructions. I wouldn't be able to prevent that because I can't control who buys my product and how they would use it.

So that is why you can't buy my invention and why I never became filthy rich. Nobody made a dime from my invention except the scammers.