FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How does this forum manage to be so fast?

tahayassen
What's the secret? O_O'

Even on my old IE browser, these servers load incredibly fast.
amagard
Why I can't answer your question, tahayassen, I do agree to your observation: the forum here on frihost is one of the fastest I know of and this really motivates me to participate more often. What I really appreciate is that we don't have here those annoying ad's popping up like many other hosting or forum provider do it. Also the functionality here in this forum is a bit minimalistic, if for instance you look at the editor to craft postings. Nevertheless, this makes it fast and useful !
Ghost Rider103
Frihost is definitely fast, I never really noticed it, or rather I'm just used to it after being on here almost daily. It loads incredibly fast from my iPhone as well.

Maybe it has something to do with us using such an old version of phpbb? The version we are using now is probably considered very light compared to the more recent versions. Though of course Bondings has made many upgrades/changes to the version we have been using. Not sure I any of that would affect load time all that much.
Josso
Just checked my deserted phpbb3 board loads about the same but I know what you mean. I think it's stripped down and modded quite a lot in terms of theme. Good reliable sql + http server who knows. Think the main site is hosted on something different/uber. Can't remember. Bondings probably did some of his magic wand waving ages ago
Ghost Rider103
Josso wrote:
Just checked my deserted phpbb3 board loads about the same but I know what you mean. I think it's stripped down and modded quite a lot in terms of theme. Good reliable sql + http server who knows. Think the main site is hosted on something different/uber. Can't remember. Bondings probably did some of his magic wand waving ages ago

Is your board hosted on Frihost? Last I knew Frihost is hosted on server 1. The same as many other Frihosters.
deanhills
True. I'm happy there are no pop ups either. Frihost certainly rocks as well as Bondings who makes all of it possible for us. I was looking for a "just right" "you simply are the best" YouTube song, and so after three pages of YouTube searches landed as this VERY interesting one. I've never heard this guy before and WOW can he sing!

Josso
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Josso wrote:

Is your board hosted on Frihost? Last I knew Frihost is hosted on server 1. The same as many other Frihosters.

Not since about 07 or something. I think I was on 1 or 2 I can't remember. If I remember correctly I hit an sql hourly limit quite a lot at the time which is the only reason I moved to paid hosting.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Frihost is definitely fast, I never really noticed it, or rather I'm just used to it after being on here almost daily. It loads incredibly fast from my iPhone as well.

Maybe it has something to do with us using such an old version of phpbb? The version we are using now is probably considered very light compared to the more recent versions. Though of course Bondings has made many upgrades/changes to the version we have been using. Not sure I any of that would affect load time all that much.
I definitely noticed it as for a period around 2009 and 2010 it had been dragging for me. I don't know why. I'm on Server 1. And then it went as fast as lightning. And it is still that way to this day. I'm not enough of a geek to figure out why. I remember during that period of slow, I had had issues with the Forum as well in that it sometimes timed out and I had to log in repeatedly during any given session. Could be something to do with my ISP as well. That hasn't happened to me for a while now.
standready
I agree that Frihost is very quick loading. Bondings must have found the 'secret' configuration. Wink
ocalhoun
1- Using an older, lighter verison of phpbb
2- Some work on optimizing it
3- Continual attention paid toward minimizing server load (ie, rejecting some suggestions that would use too much server resources)
4- A good server
5- Minimal use of images and ads
6- Replacing the phpbb search engine (which uses lots of resources) with a google search engine (that uses google's resources)
rjraaz
ocalhoun wrote:
3- Continual attention paid toward minimizing server load (ie, rejecting some suggestions that would use too much server resources)
4- A good server
6- Replacing the phpbb search engine (which uses lots of resources) with a google search engine (that uses google's resources)

All of the above just because of Bondings magic work. I think he knows very well that how to run a forum website in great way. How to optimize websites for search engines and ofcourse how to choose right server for hosting websites.

So, Thanks Bonding to provide us this great platform and will expecting a small reply from. Please say something about your personal experience related to frihost.
bukaida
I think Bondings has implemented the "Sphinx" search engine which has the fastest full text searching capabilities as of now. I remember, I had a talk in this forum with him regarding this.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-116896.html#962609

Also the forum does not use flash or heavyweight images which may be the cause of it's quick access capabilities.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
4- A good server
Perhaps there is a way to patent this? Sort of gives a new meaning to "Copyright" as the combination of all the features and strategies is something unique. Including all of the coding that has gone into the points, coins and competition systems.
bukaida
Nice said Dean, the customization should be copyrighted so that these features should be unique to this forum only. The concept, features, intellect---everything is unique and should not be allowed to be imitated by others.
deanhills
bukaida wrote:
Nice said Dean, the customization should be copyrighted so that these features should be unique to this forum only. The concept, features, intellect---everything is unique and should not be allowed to be imitated by others.
I would not be surprised if Bondings had coded the Forum in a way that would be impossible to be copied by others.
bukaida
deanhills wrote:
bukaida wrote:
I would not be surprised if Bondings had coded the Forum in a way that would be impossible to be copied by others.

Never underestimate the capabilities of the pirate world Very Happy
metalfreek
Frihost is definitely very fast compared to other forums and I think is due to the fact that there are very less image to display on each page. All that has to load is a text. I think this is the main reason.
abhizz
I think its because of the powerful phpbb forum
inuyasha
Yeah. It's quite fast here as well. I suppose the server(or servers?) may be powerful enough~
kenxeiko
Ya, it's too damn smooth.. Even with shitty internet.. The page will responding around 1-2 secs..
spinout
hehe the forum is quick but the CP is in slowmotion and not working properly Laughing
andro_king
ya frihost forums are fast.. where can i get one for my website..??
Aredon
Given that I don't think bondings does this to turn a profit. I really doubt he'd be all that against sharing some of the optimization tricks with the community. I mean, what's to hide really? Not that we're demanding anything, but it might be cool to post a guide or something. Should end up pretty high on google's search results for phpBB optimization, and as a result we might get some more traffic to the site. So really there's only good reasons, as far as I can see, to share some of the tricks. Cool
Ryox
The Reason why it loads so fast is because Bondings have good servers for Frihost Smile

the other observation I can think of why its fast is because, We do not have Spammers/Bots hogging up the ISP for Frihost therefore, it loads fast. Bots hog up the DHS server for Frihost and when that happens the website loads slow.

Moderators are good for keeping up with the spammers and botters.
ankitdatashn
The secret formula made by Bondings for controlling this forum has definitely a part to play, also I feel lesser use of images also plays a vital role in addition to good servers
Aredon
ankitdatashn wrote:
The secret formula made by Bondings for controlling this forum has definitely a part to play, also I feel lesser use of images also plays a vital role in addition to good servers

I don't think the images thing has a whole lot to do with it honestly. There are plenty of boards out there that have just as few images as frihost that still run slower.

While you could easily say that it's a matter of good servers. Myself and many others believe that there is some code optimized behind the scenes. Optimizations I would be very interested in seeing. Cool
metalfreek
Aredon wrote:
ankitdatashn wrote:

I don't think the images thing has a whole lot to do with it honestly. There are plenty of boards out there that have just as few images as frihost that still run slower.

While you could easily say that it's a matter of good servers. Myself and many others believe that there is some code optimized behind the scenes. Optimizations I would be very interested in seeing. Cool

If you are using a high speed internet than image definitely doesn't matter but for low speed internet users like me (128 kbps if you can believe) lot of image brings a lot of page load time and wait. I have to wait at least 7/8 seconds for any other page to load. Now a says almost all sites are loaded with image so waiting is what I have to do. Frihost loads very fast for me and that's a relief.

I would definitely like to find out if there are some hidden techniques applied by Bonding to make this forum fast.
dspblack
Yea this is just amazing