FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer on the fritz again

Tony The Tiger
My 2010 HP Windows 7 DV7 laptop is on the fritz again and on its way back to Hewlett Packard service center. I am on my 2003 Dell Inspiron 8200 for the next week or so while the HP wizards tinker with my machine. The latest issue is some kind of virus or something that consumes RAM whenever I stream video or use a website like ESPN that constantly refreshes. My computer begins to navigate extremely slowly and start running all kinds of scripts in the background whenever this problem happens. A clean boot will solve the problem for a few minute or a couple of hours randomly. Let's see what the HP experts can figure out about this one.
lightningleo
seriously man.. you have installed windows in a laptop of 2003..
i think your RAM is 512 MB..
i think you should buy a new one 'cause in today's life.. your laptop will be taken to Hewlett Packard.. at 2 times a month..
today.. i think 2gb (mine) sometimes comes short when running some hard games.. recommended is at last 4gb...
and one more thingy..
windows 7 recommends at least 1 gb ram out of which its system consumes 600mb and i don't think you've that.. remaining.. is used as your actual ram..

so.. consider my advice..

buying a new one is better than repairing old one again and again..
Mr_Howl
Also, if you do buy a new laptop, avoid HP like the plague. Their laptops have had hardware and heat-related issues for the past four or five years (from my experience, anyway).

I'm on an ASUS right now, and it's been pretty solid. My girlfriend has a Gateway that she's been happy with, and people tell me good things about Toshiba. My 5-year-old Dell, while it has had a few problems, is still kicking (and Dell is very nice in that they offer repair manuals so that you can fix things yourself).

But HP...I've watched two of those things die personally, and many of my friends have had bad experiences with them. Also, their support was not very helpful to me (trying to get me to shell out $300 when a half hour of Googling solved the problem).
lightningleo
well... i agree with Mr_Howl.. HP is not recommended when buying a new laptop.. i'm advicing you to buy a Dell laptop.. unless you haven't enough for an Alienware M14x..
Tony The Tiger
lightningleo wrote:
seriously man.. you have installed windows in a laptop of 2003..
i think your RAM is 512 MB..
i think you should buy a new one 'cause in today's life.. your laptop will be taken to Hewlett Packard.. at 2 times a month..
today.. i think 2gb (mine) sometimes comes short when running some hard games.. recommended is at last 4gb...
and one more thingy..
windows 7 recommends at least 1 gb ram out of which its system consumes 600mb and i don't think you've that.. remaining.. is used as your actual ram..

so.. consider my advice..

buying a new one is better than repairing old one again and again..

HP did me some solids. They gave me a new DVD drive, new touchpad, and other new casings on the computer. They also reformatted my HD rather than find the problem, however. The new machine has either 2 or 4 GB. Yes. the secondary machine is light on RAM, but it has enough to run XP while the primary is in the shop.
Tony The Tiger
Mr_Howl wrote:
Also, if you do buy a new laptop, avoid HP like the plague. Their laptops have had hardware and heat-related issues for the past four or five years (from my experience, anyway).

I'm on an ASUS right now, and it's been pretty solid. My girlfriend has a Gateway that she's been happy with, and people tell me good things about Toshiba. My 5-year-old Dell, while it has had a few problems, is still kicking (and Dell is very nice in that they offer repair manuals so that you can fix things yourself).

But HP...I've watched two of those things die personally, and many of my friends have had bad experiences with them. Also, their support was not very helpful to me (trying to get me to shell out $300 when a half hour of Googling solved the problem).

Isn't HP the leader in computer sales?
Mr_Howl
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Mr_Howl wrote:

If they are, they must have an excellent marketing team.
Tony The Tiger
Mr_Howl wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Mr_Howl wrote:

And you guys must all be exaggerating by a more than a little a bit.
Mr_Howl
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Mr_Howl wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Mr_Howl wrote:

I'm not. I would never buy an HP laptop, nor would I ever recommend one to anybody.

Just because they sell a lot doesn't mean they are good. Think of how many copies of Windows ME that Microsoft sold.
william
They have had heat related problems in the past few years, no doubt about that. I haven't tinkered with their newest laptops (they might have improved), but I have messed around with models ranging from 2007 to 2010, and they are very poorly constructed and designed. They can't handle much abuse, the internal structure isn't very robust, and they're clear examples of machines designed by accountants, not engineers. Now, their business line is actually pretty decent, but most of the notebooks I've worked with were consumer models under $1000. Dell is actually a lot better with the consumer market, but still not that great.

If all you're expecting out of the laptop is a two year life, then they're adequate. But I really don't know many people hanging on to their HP laptops for longer than that.

Oh yeah, and one other thing. HP support makes Dell support look good. If I was running the world's largest PC manufacturer, I would be embarrassed by their lack of competence. Seriously, I agree with Mr_Howl, Googling for half an hour will resolve most of the problems HP will charge you to "fix".

Also, just wondering, if there's a "virus" that consumes RAM, why not just reformat the computer yourself? Just install a clean copy of Windows 7 (without an HP bloatware) and start fresh. That's actually the first thing I do whenever I set up a bloated HP/Dell/Acer/Toshiba/eMachines/Gateway computer. Seems like an easier solution than relying on HP. Personally, I only use warranty if it involves getting replacement hardware for free.
Tony The Tiger
Mr_Howl wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Mr_Howl wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Mr_Howl wrote:

I'm not. I would never buy an HP laptop, nor would I ever recommend one to anybody.

Just because they sell a lot doesn't mean they are good. Think of how many copies of Windows ME that Microsoft sold.

Sales of the latest Windows operating system is very different than sales of a brand of computer. Windows has a near monopoly on PC operating systems. You could by an Apple Mac-based system, but it would likely cause problems. Unless you know what you are doing and have sufficient expertise to use Linux, you just have to buy Windows. Even if the latest version is total dookie, you may be better off with it than an old version. With a PC, you can buy any brand.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
They have had heat related problems in the past few years, no doubt about that. I haven't tinkered with their newest laptops (they might have improved), but I have messed around with models ranging from 2007 to 2010, and they are very poorly constructed and designed. They can't handle much abuse, the internal structure isn't very robust, and they're clear examples of machines designed by accountants, not engineers. Now, their business line is actually pretty decent, but most of the notebooks I've worked with were consumer models under $1000. Dell is actually a lot better with the consumer market, but still not that great.

If all you're expecting out of the laptop is a two year life, then they're adequate. But I really don't know many people hanging on to their HP laptops for longer than that.

Oh yeah, and one other thing. HP support makes Dell support look good. If I was running the world's largest PC manufacturer, I would be embarrassed by their lack of competence. Seriously, I agree with Mr_Howl, Googling for half an hour will resolve most of the problems HP will charge you to "fix".

Also, just wondering, if there's a "virus" that consumes RAM, why not just reformat the computer yourself? Just install a clean copy of Windows 7 (without an HP bloatware) and start fresh. That's actually the first thing I do whenever I set up a bloated HP/Dell/Acer/Toshiba/eMachines/Gateway computer. Seems like an easier solution than relying on HP. Personally, I only use warranty if it involves getting replacement hardware for free.

I was more satisfied with the service for my Dell and it was a bit more sturdy, but I am not sure that the performance was any better than my HP. I think a lot of the service differences are operating system-based. My Windows XP-based Dell is dependable in certain ways that my Windows 7-based HP is not.
jasonmilsont
Windows vista is the newest os to come out of the Ms laboratories, but it still has one significant defect - it can end up operating so slowly that you just want to toss your pc in the junk can.
Marcuzzo
just off topic:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Unless you know what you are doing and have sufficient expertise to use Linux, you just have to buy Windows. Even if the latest version is total dookie, you may be better off with it than an old version. With a PC, you can buy any brand.

not entirely true, Linux used to be a "geek" OS but that has changed a lot in the last years.
it all depends on which distro you choose.
there are a lot of distros like ubuntu ( and all ubuntu based distro's ) ( keep it in mind that ubuntu is debian based Laughing ) for those who prefer a graphical interface for most operations.
and there are a few for those that prefer to use the commandline, one of the later would be slackware... on this one you pretty mutch have to download source codes, compile and install... the good old ./configure, make and make install.
personally I prefer debian or even the lightweight slitaz

back on topic.
if your Anti-virus didn't report a virus then chances are that you need to concider using another antivirus. ( which one are you using btw?) or keep it up to date and do regular scans. and don't run any download before scanning it. I use the free version of Avira and never had any issues ( I also don't have admin rights on my regular account and use run-as when I need something installed... safer)

aaanyway, I've been working on a multiboot(multipass, whatever they call it) USB drive with several Linux distro's on it.
I found out that several (free) antivirus companies offer a rescue cd ( system) that will run on a stripped down linux and is able to scan and clean windows installations.
on my drive I've added the one provided by avira
http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-antivir-rescue-system
( it boot's but I didn't run a scan yet as my pc is not infected Very Happy )
and there are others out there

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/avg-rescue-cd
http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/removal-tools/-/carousel/view/142
http://research.pandasecurity.com/panda-safecd-4-4-3-0/

EDIT:
Did I just bump an ancient post? though the date shows yesterday, ... vista...?
jasonmilsont Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:51 pm Post subject: wrote:
Windows vista is the newest os to come out of the Ms laboratories, but it still has one significant defect - it can end up operating so slowly that you just want to toss your pc in the junk can.
Mr_Howl
Marcuzzo wrote:

aaanyway, I've been working on a multiboot(multipass, whatever they call it) USB drive with several Linux distro's on it.
I found out that several (free) antivirus companies offer a rescue cd ( system) that will run on a stripped down linux and is able to scan and clean windows installations.
on my drive I've added the one provided by avira
http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-antivir-rescue-system
( it boot's but I didn't run a scan yet as my pc is not infected Very Happy )
and there are others out there

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/avg-rescue-cd
http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/removal-tools/-/carousel/view/142
http://research.pandasecurity.com/panda-safecd-4-4-3-0/

Wow, two really cool things in one post. I've never heard of multipass before, and after looking into it, it seems really neat. The only question is which distros do you choose? Smile

And these Windows Rescue things may come in handy the next time I visit my mother... Wink
Marcuzzo
Mr_Howl wrote:
And these Windows Rescue things may come in handy the next time I visit my mother... Wink

that was one of the main reasons why I created it Laughing

Mr_Howl wrote:
The only question is which distros do you choose?

I'll make a topic in the tutorial section on how I did it.

EDIT: TOPIC http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-141231.html