FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Set up a Blog then Change the Domain

busaboss
Hi Frihosters, I would just like to ask if I can set up my wordpress blog then later on change to my preffered domain. Let's say I'll install wordpress in busaboss.frihost.org then after a week and when I finished it off I will change it to say busaboss.com. Is that possible? and will my default domain in direct admin also change? or a 301 redirect is the only solution? Thanks! Smile
Bondings
First, you can have several domains in your hosting account. The first is the subdomain (busaboss.frihost.org in your case) and I guess the second would then be busaboss.com in your case. (unless you already have other domain setup)

As for default domain, that is mostly just to what the shortcut public_html will point to. You can change the default domain in DirectAdmin domain management. You can go to the files of any domain through domains/<domain_name>/public_html/ .

As for what you mention, it depends what exactly you want.

If you want the subdomain to test out a WordPress blog and then after a week to use that exact same WordPress blog on your domain, then I think the easiest thing to do would be to use the "change a domain name" feature in the DirectAdmin domain management and change the subdomain to your domain. Afterwards you can add the subdomain back as a new domain and possible redirect it to the domain (if you wish) or do something else with it (other testing, ...). It is recommended to always keep the subdomain for testing reasons. Please note that if you want to use the WordPress blog on a different domain, that you will most likely need to change the domain name in the settings of your blog too.

You can also keep the WordPress blog on your subdomain, add your domain as a new domain and copy all the files from the public_html of your subdomain to the public_html of your domain and change the domain name in the settings. You will also need to create and copy the database and then change the database settings to the new one. This way you'll get a separate WP blog on your subdomain and on your domain.

If you want to do something else with your subdomain/domain, please mention exactly what/why. Very Happy
busaboss
Hi thanks admin bondings. Actually, I already tried the change domain in direct admin and also change in wordpress settings but it only returned an error even though I already configured it.

What I want to do here is to set up a reconstruction of my site then when I'm satisfied, I'll just change it to my primary to my .com. However, that didn't work the last time I tried so I reinstalled in my new domain. I'm just wondering if there is a better workaround than tha way. Again, Thanks for the kind help.. Smile
Bondings
busaboss wrote:
Hi thanks admin bondings. Actually, I already tried the change domain in direct admin and also change in wordpress settings but it only returned an error even though I already configured it.

What I want to do here is to set up a reconstruction of my site then when I'm satisfied, I'll just change it to my primary to my .com. However, that didn't work the last time I tried so I reinstalled in my new domain. I'm just wondering if there is a better workaround than tha way. Again, Thanks for the kind help.. Smile

Normally the change domain should work (at least if the domain doesn't exist on the server yet) and if there is a problem, just ask me and I'll check it out.
busaboss
Thanks a lot! I highly appreciate it! Smile