FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Macro photography...

wellerchap
...don't laugh at my shots - I'm pretty new to it!
I bought a 30mm macro lens for my Sony a300 DSLR recently - I managed to get about 2cm from this little guys nose to focus on and take the shots - my best insect photos so far - and all in the windown of my own kitchen!

deanhills
Amazing shots wellerchap. How did you get them to stand still like that?

Are you going to focus on insects only or on flowers too?
Josso
Cool stuff. How much do you reckon a macro lens for my ancient 35mm camera would be
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Amazing shots wellerchap. How did you get them to stand still like that?

Are you going to focus on insects only or on flowers too?

Looks like he let them land on sticky paper. Very Happy

Anyways, they are excellent shots. I don't know much about photography, especially macro photography. It I do know a bit about digital design, and from that perspective these shots are impressive. I am loving the shadow in the second shot.
dude_xyx
oh I do love macro photography too. First photo is bit out of focus I think but second photo is good and sharp. It's hard to do marco photos without a tripod.

You can see couple of ant photos in my Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dudexyx/with/4389574614/
Ankhanu
I love macro photography Smile Unfortunately, I don't own a macro lens, and have to reverse my 50mm to get close... it's a little unweildly and not very flexible, but it's better than nothing!

Here's one I took earlier in the spring:
wellerchap
That's a great shot - sort of looks like the dead one's breakdancing Very Happy
I use a 30mm lens, which was about 130 pounds in the UK.....then I learn all the better shots seem to be taken with lenses of approximately 100mm so you get much more magnification....but those lenses cost 5-600 pounds!! Shocked
So, I guess I'm hamstrung a little by my equipment, but it's fun to try.
I'm taking a lot of flower shots too, and insects....I don't really mind the soft-focus areas, so long as I get the key part sharp. I like the arty look when the focus drops away to the back of the shot, mostly.
Ankhanu
Yeah, when testing out some lenses, I've found for my use, a 100mm plus, with at least 1:1 magnification is the way to go... but it really depends on how you intend to frame and what you intend to shoot, and at what focal distances. The 30mm may serve your purposes just fine. I know I've enjoyed shooting with a 60mm macro too, when I borrowed one from my old work place.

You should consider picking up some extension tubes too! They add some flexibility to your setup for very little cash.
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
Indeed! Some inspiration for an animation show. Very Happy
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
wellerchap wrote:
Indeed! Some inspiration for an animation show. Very Happy

Haha, that would be interesting Razz

wellerchap wrote:
...I don't really mind the soft-focus areas, so long as I get the key part sharp. I like the arty look when the focus drops away to the back of the shot, mostly.

That's something that's inescapable with macro photography, really (unless you stack multiple images at different focal points). Part of the difficulty of magnified imaging is that as you get closer, your depth of focus gets shallower; it's a limitation of light refraction through the lenses. The shallow focus creates that fuzzed out back/fore-ground effect, known as bokeh, which is often desirable, but not always Smile
wellerchap
Which focus stacking software do you recommend?
It has to be free ofcourse - I'm tighter than a camel's back end in a sandstorm!
I have ZereneStacker, though early attempts have given wildly differing results.
Good tip on the extension tubes - I may try those...thanks.
Ankhanu
I don't have a recommendation; I haven't used it, I've just talked with people who generate high quality scientific imaging of insects for book/article publication... the software they're using is definitely far from free, and the equipment they used was also fairly specialized. I have seen it done with images from a standard DSLR, but I haven't looked into it; I'm rarely in a situation where I can use a stationary, consistent setup to take the incremental images. Add to that the fact that I use post-processing extremely rarely, and I'm not the guy to ask about software Wink
LostOverThere
Wow, these are incredible! Seriously, great work. The first shots with the bees especially blew me away.
JessieSevert
What's great about macro photography is that you get to magnify even the most miniscule subjects. The wasp above looks great. As for me, ants are one of the best subjects in macro, since they're easier to frame and have vivid colors. For cool photos, feel free to view this page: http://studiozblog.com/san-diego-wedding-photographer/ Razz
TheRPGLPer
Wow, those are some really great pictures. That really make me want to buy a camera that can do that.
fmrg
I am totally mad about Macro Photography. but unfortunately I am not a photographer and dont have a DSLR - just use my cybershot for this purpose - will show my work later Smile
wellerchap
As a dslr user (and a frustrated one at that!) it amazes me how good the macro modes are on point/shoot cameras...almost makes me ask myself why I bother Very Happy
codersfriend
nice shot.. can point and shoot also do that?
wellerchap
Yes they can....use the macro setting like this (may not say "MF" on yours)

Read this page to help - http://smallobjectphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/quick-tip-using-your-macro-setting.html
subhan1
cool man! I love macro photography - sadly dont have a dslr Neutral
evilryu530
those are awesome photos. I recommend buying a 50mm 1.4F lens, you can get even closer!

they are cheap on ebay or amazon. keep up the good work.
Ankhanu
evilryu530 wrote:
those are awesome photos. I recommend buying a 50mm 1.4F lens, you can get even closer!

they are cheap on ebay or amazon. keep up the good work.

50mm 1.4 will certainly not get you closer; the focal distance and magnification are much the same as a 1.8, which is far from macro. That said, if you can find a cheap 50mm 1.4, it would be a fantastic addition to any kit; they are great lenses.