FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Route 66

DorianFabre
I'm looking into a trip along Route 66 next year, and was wondering if anyone knows if there's anywhere I can rent a motorcycle tricycle, picking it up in Chicago and dropping it off in LA? Any help would be appreciated.
tdossi
The condition of the roads varies greatly, you can not answer so flat.

Cost: You answered the travel agent or you are looking for everything themselves. The fares vary greatly depending on the booking and the airline.

If you want to rent bikes there, you can turn it the other even at a depot. Must be agreed beforehand and just pay a few extra dollars.

Duration: Depends on what you want to look away from you, your still driving around. In my opinion, but not to create under 4 weeks (without anything to watching).

For the first trip, I recommend a travel agent. There are direct operators who specialize in those bike tours.

Luggage: as much as necessary, as little as possible. Also comes in at the time of year in which you are traveling. In most accommodation you can wash it for a few dollars your clothes.

Note: so much! Of the traffic regulations of the Fair as well as our own people, freak weather and entry requirements. Here goes beyond just the frame.

In order to avoid unpleasant experiences for a long trip, should some preparations:

First The Team

If your journey is not alone, then you ought to be before the planning of the tour put together and discuss in detail the expectations and preferences of each participant. If they are not essentially identical, forget the common trip! A few things should be clarified to your:

Luxury hostel or cheap (but clean) motel?
Every single room, or (to save money) in a double room?
Food in 3-star restaurant or inexpensive (and authentic) at the diner?
Getting up at seven in the morning or at 11 clock?
Highlife evening or early night?
Culture, land and people, or just simply enjoy riding a motorcycle?
Sporty driving slowly or touring?

Do you want to pull out of three, it is especially important that your a real team since. In addition, everyone should always be able to continue on alone if need be and still its fun. When strangers may help only a meticulous planning of the route with booking of hotels and a clear set of rules, who is leading the squad.

Second The money

Credit cards (Mastercard and Visa) are accepted today, virtually every travel destination. In the U.S. you can pay almost anything with the cards.
You should cash in small bills with you, $ 300 range, you can pull the rest of your machine from.
Neck pouch or money belt use, maps, etc. for keeping money in different ways.

Third Clothing / tools, etc.

Calculated with all weathers, i.e. have for example technical underwear and waterproof clothes.
Do not throw away old clothes before the tour, my take and discard after wearing.
Will you allow your bucks unattended bags should be locked or readily transportable. Otherwise you probably do not rest or gets a rude surprise. Practically, a magnetic tank bag, which you can use it as a normal backpack.
Many things you can buy cheaper in the U.S., why they drag along from here?
In the larger towns there are launderettes: A great way to meet people.
Take the most important tool (including a good multi-tool) with, in addition Pilot tires, cable ties, electrical tape, Bowden cable repair kit, etc.
A hose can also be useful to be Benzinabpumpen (not to steal share, but for Wink I'll take on every trip a 2-liter jerry can.
Very important: A small first aid kit.
Useful: Small binoculars, compass, flashlight, tire in the tube
Adapter for the outlets. That one gets in the U.S. than in almost any electronic store.

Telephone / Internet

Who wants to go to the Internet can do so many free hotspots. Who wants to be independent, their concern is a prepaid card.
I've bought on my last trip (2011) on arrival, a prepaid card from T-Mobile. It cost $ 90. Included were several GB of data and unlimited free calls in the U.S. and most of the world (including landlines in Germany, Austria, Switzerland). Purchase and activation lasted 15 minutes.

Tip: Look before departure with the help of Google Maps for the next T-Mobile shops in the vicinity of your first hotel.

Important:

Apply online for a visa in time for the United States.

Helios' edit: please avoid double posting next time. You must edit your original post.
wellerchap
That's all good, solid advice there - truly a trip worth doing if you're at all a lover of 2-wheels.
Personally, I'd love to do it all on my Lambretta, though I think spares may be a worry & shipping the scooter out there too.
Certainly on my "fantasy list" of things to do before I croak!
ocalhoun
DorianFabre wrote:
I'm looking into a trip along Route 66 next year, and was wondering if anyone knows if there's anywhere I can rent a motorcycle tricycle, picking it up in Chicago and dropping it off in LA? Any help would be appreciated.

For an actual one-way trip motorcycle rental, I doubt you'll find anything.

There are a couple other options though...
-You could buy a motorcycle in Chicago and sell it in LA. If you get a good deal on a used one and line up a buyer in LA beforehand, you might even find that option to be much cheaper than renting.
-Put ads out in Chicago saying that you'll transport a motorcycle to California for free. You may get lucky and find someone who needs to ship a motorcycle and you can make a deal. You get a free ride, they get their bike shipped to California for free. Everybody wins.
wellerchap wrote:
That's all good, solid advice there - truly a trip worth doing if you're at all a lover of 2-wheels.
Personally, I'd love to do it all on my Lambretta, though I think spares may be a worry & shipping the scooter out there too.
Certainly on my "fantasy list" of things to do before I croak!

Aw, a scooter?
If you're doing route 66, why not do it right? ^.^