FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Photoshop CS6 vs CS5.5

Upgrade to CS6?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
No
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 10

Zbot
I am a currently a Photoshop CS5.5 user, I got the license for the software through my school and ever since it has been a great tool, one of the best photo manipulation tools I have used in fact. However, recently Adobe updated Photoshop to CS6. So, I'm wondering if it is worth it for me to upgrade to this new software or not. Expense is not really a factor since I have a student discount, but the question more lies in if the features of CS6 make it worth it for a non-commercial user to upgrade.

It comes down to this, are the new features worth about $100USD or should I wait for CS6.5 or CS7?
tdossi
What I've seen Photoshop CS6 makes a good impression: Starting with the darker interface of meaningful improvements in the operation to the new and improved filters and effects, the changes are diverse and have thought through. Adobe supposedly has the user feedback to heart. We particularly liked, the new RAW Engine (which is also in Lightroom 4), the "save-the-background" function and the intuitive work: the brush or effect while holding down the control key simply scaled via mouse wheel, and thereby to to display next to the cursor all the relevant information that may seem like a small thing certain, but is a long overdue step towards more user-friendly.
tdossi
When it comes to professional image editing, is "Adobe Photoshop" the top dog. In terms of photo enhancement, retouching and image assembly, there is hardly anything, what with the numerous tools and filters of "Adobe Photoshop" does not succeed. But also three-dimensional work, the editing of video frames, or "magical" compositions are possible with the professional software. The "extended" version includes additional features for image analysis and editing of 3D material.

Whether glossy covers, billboards and Internet sites - the measure of all things in terms of sophisticated image processing was and is "Adobe Photoshop". Although the software is quite expensive, but the product is also aimed at professionals such as photographers, web designers and graphic designers. Not for nothing can be as raw data formats, so the "digital negatives" edit directly from more than 200 funds and fund high-end digital cameras.
hitose
The truth is that these versions have never used so could not comment on, I always had a very old machine that could barely stand photoshop version 7 so even today I have a good machine I'm using that old version that serves very well occasional design work.
silverdown
I always like to have the latest version.... Razz
rjraaz
I have ordered new version. Hope, I will get it in 4 or 5 days.
pauline5765
Is there a big difference? Is this a big leap from CS 5.5?
sysna
the differences between CS6 and CS5.5 is not too much, it depends on your work, if you are a graphist and making money from your art work then you need the new version but if you only use it as an image editor like me then you don't need the new version Very Happy
codemaster
I say no to moving to CS6 because it's nothing like cs5 you wouldn't be able to make thing stuff like you normally would. So think that if your photographer you should but graphic designers shouldn't. Cs6 is good and bad at the same time. I hop Cs7 will be better. I use cs6 for editing my photo's and making retouches and stuff. So your choice really on what you want to do but I'll say stick with cs5 for now and lets see what cs6 has in store.
metalfreek
I haven't used Photoshop CS6 yet but I am using CS5.5 like you and I don't think its worth spending that much money right now. I think you should wait for CS7 or something.
duytam28
The later version has the richest funtions out there, always stick to the latest one if you have other specific reason.
Blummer
I can say I'm 100 percent happy with CS6, used it since last year. I think it's perfectly optimized and finally, a version that fits my personal needs.
dude_xyx
I still use Photoshop CS5 and happy with it. I'm sure Photoshop CS6 has more feature but it comes with bigger price tag. Also I noticed in Adobe site now they offer only something called an version CC.
codegeek
I upgraded to CS6, but did not like the changes. For one thing, the pasteboard flickers whenever I use any selection tool. Another problem I have is that the whole image I am editing turns black at times. Moreover, it seems to eat up a lot of resources. I was very satisfied with CS 5.5, but I just can't seem to make myself like CS 6. This might be specific to my machine, because of my graphics card, but my personal opinion is that you should stick to CS 5.5 for now and wait for the next version. Very Happy
Gatos7
codegeek wrote:
I upgraded to CS6, but did not like the changes. For one thing, the pasteboard flickers whenever I use any selection tool. Another problem I have is that the whole image I am editing turns black at times. Moreover, it seems to eat up a lot of resources. I was very satisfied with CS 5.5, but I just can't seem to make myself like CS 6. This might be specific to my machine, because of my graphics card, but my personal opinion is that you should stick to CS 5.5 for now and wait for the next version. Very Happy

As you guessed in the end of your post all the problems you mentioned sound like a graphics card problem. And more specifically a driver problem. I had the same things happening to my machine (I upgraded from photoshop 5.5 to 6.

Turns out there are 2 fixes you can use.

Open photoshop and go to menu Edit -> Preferences -> Perfomance
    On that window you will find a caption saying "Graphics Processor Settings"
    Under it there should be a checkbox "Use Graphics Processor"
    Uncheck it and restart photoshop to see if that fixes your problem

Upgrade your driver. I have an HD Ati Radeon and downloaded the latest beta drivers (I think 13.10) just yesterday and everything seems to be working alright so far

To answer the original poster the differences are not that much. I do like the darker working area but you can achieve that in 5.5 too by going to Edit -> Preferences -> Interface. There there should be an option called Appearance with color theme where you can choose a darker gray like cs6.

One thing I didn't like (and I see it in almost every photoshop upgrade) is that it changes the way it works the text layers. As a result when I open a file that I worked on 5.5 I get a warning message saying "Some text layers might need to be updated before they can be used for vector based output. Do you want to update these layers now ?"

You can choose to not update them and continuing working but as soon as you sellect a text layer to make a change a similar message appears saying "Editing or rendering the text layer (layer_name) will cause its layout to change. Continue ?"

If you press ok the layer will change. Ever so slightly but it will change. And that can be a problem in some jobs. Also I'm Greek and this might only be a problem with greek fonts ... don't know.
RoylanM
I'm going to say upgrade because with every adobe release of it's programs comes some every needed changes and with CS6 and PS Creative Cloud , they have done just that.
codegeek
Gatos7 wrote:
codegeek wrote:

As you guessed in the end of your post all the problems you mentioned sound like a graphics card problem. And more specifically a driver problem. I had the same things happening to my machine (I upgraded from photoshop 5.5 to 6.

Turns out there are 2 fixes you can use.

Open photoshop and go to menu Edit -> Preferences -> Perfomance
    On that window you will find a caption saying "Graphics Processor Settings"
    Under it there should be a checkbox "Use Graphics Processor"
    Uncheck it and restart photoshop to see if that fixes your problem

Upgrade your driver. I have an HD Ati Radeon and downloaded the latest beta drivers (I think 13.10) just yesterday and everything seems to be working alright so far

I tried both of those fixes, but without success. The thing still flickers, and the black screen is really really annoying. Hence, I downgraded to 5.5 and things are really smooth. Plus, I've become used to the light interface.

About the font thing, yes I have experienced it too, so it's probably not a Greek-font only kind of thing.
cantzer
betwen CS6 and CS5 is not so big diference. Now i use CS6
Blummer
I just sense it far more stable (CS6), but I won't be switching to CC for a long time. I use the Encore software all the time and CC doesn't have one. Evil or Very Mad
Da Rossa
If someone doesn't want to pay for Photoshop, then think about Paint.net. Inferior, but free and friendly.
cabenqc
IMHO, based how much you want to spend in long time.
I guess adobe will do such kind of version change yearly.
And how much you like to pay yearly to adobe to support photoshop development Rolling Eyes
For me,
if I don't care about $, I'll buy for sure every new release, or I'll buy full/commercial license to support adobe.
if I don't want that immediately, I will buy every 2 releases to reduce my expenses.
Or, I wait to get a new free-to-use school/corporate copy and buy/upgrade my student/academic copy just before I graduate (student status/card no more).

Just MO for your reference.
Da Rossa
Forgot to say sometimes I think CS3 is just fine...