FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HELP in .htaccess file modified

busaboss
Hi, I just received an email that my htcaccess file was modified but since that I'm not familiar with the code, I would like to ask for help if there is something suspicious here. Thanks in advance..

# BEGIN Better WP Security
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Deny from 62.219.8.226
Deny from 37.9.61.64

# END Better WP Security

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress
Josso
That is worrying. If you don't know what it was like before it's sort of hard to judge what has been changed. Doesn't look particually suspicious but then again I don't use WP.

Go to your FTP and chmod your .htaccess file to something like 644 or 664. Make sure it's not set to 777 or something. That should prevent unauthorised access again. If you go to yoursite.com/.htaccess you should get a 403 forbidden.

Again I'm not a wordpress expert so you should google this to make sure you have the right permissions on your file. Maybe even have a look at what a .htaccess looks like on a default WP install.
Bondings
It seems fine to me. Maybe an ip was added to the blacklist (the Deny from lines)?
yosefa
Hmm.. BTW Can I use mod_rewrite in this hosting?
hakaner
Because of Better WP Security plugin. When an IP address is blocked, plugin adds a value into htaccess file.

yosefa wrote:
Hmm.. BTW Can I use mod_rewrite in this hosting?

I'm using with super cache plugin.
Josso
hakaner wrote:
Because of Better WP Security plugin. When an IP address is blocked, plugin adds a value into htaccess file.

Could this cause a "unauthorised" notification? If so might be the cause of this guys issue.
hakaner
Josso wrote:
hakaner wrote:

Could this cause a "unauthorised" notification? If so might be the cause of this guys issue.

Yes, it could. I'm getting similar notifications too from my safety plugin (websitedefender). Also, serves reports to each structure change.
busaboss
Yes, I intentionally blocked the two ip. The .htaccess file seems too I just got worried..