FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu 12.04 vs. Windows Vista

ratanegra
Well, some may think that it's obvious, but not for me. I have a laptop with Vista and would like to know if I should change to Ubuntu and why. I read some reviews, but none compared it to Ubuntu 12.04 (only to 9 or less). What do you think?
Ghost Rider103
I've moved this topic out of the General Chat.

On another note for the OP: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-110328.html (and many others users at Frihost actually).

Carry on with the topic..
Radar
Ubuntu 12.04 is obviously very recent, so I'm not surprised that there isn't that kind of specific review.

I think people tend to go with Linux if they want technological independence and/or freedom.

As far as interfaces go, Ubuntu has a good interface, noticeably nicer than Windows.

If you want to have slightly greater freedom in what you're doing, and are willing to put in the effort, Ubuntu is a good experience. Depending on how technological you are and how passionate about using your computer you are, you may want to go for the simpler option of Windows, because that's a very mainstream thing that everyone will be able to help you with. I won't be surprised if people disagree with me on this.

My bias that is that of a Mac user who uses Ubuntu for fun and Windows when I have to.
Josso
Still running 11 atm, is it stable?

I dual boot my laptop with XP pro + ubuntu. The XP is for various win only programs and the ubuntu is for things that Windows can't do or can't do very well.
metalfreek
I have been using ubuntu for more than five years and the new ubuntu 12.04 has to be the bad UI ubuntu I have ever seen. It might just be me that finds it difficult to find and move around on this new unity interface.

And taking about installing as a duel boot system, it might work well but as far as my experience goes battery life seems to be less in Ubuntu than Windows 7. I too have a duel boot system with windows 7 and ubuntu 10.04 because I find unity interface a bit too hard to handle.

I know that I can change it to Gnome but got too lazy to change.
Josso
metalfreek wrote:
And taking about installing as a duel boot system, it might work well but as far as my experience goes battery life seems to be less in Ubuntu than Windows 7. I too have a duel boot system with windows 7 and ubuntu 10.04 because I find unity interface a bit too hard to handle.

Interesting. I have systems on both windows and ubuntu to manage monitor brightness and slow the CPU down if need be to get a bit more juice out of the battery. The way I've got it setup they look identical to me - maybe win 7 has some kind of new optimization I don't know about
Mr_Howl
metalfreek wrote:

This may be due to ACPI, which Linux sometimes struggles with on certain hardware (and that's because ACPI was designed to be difficult for Linux).

My laptop dual-boots Win7 and Ubuntu, and I had to turn ACPI off for Ubuntu.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Vista by any means, but I think dual-booting it would be the way to go. That way you can gradually get comfortable with Linux without having to worry.
Fire Boar
Actually battery stuff is more likely vendor-specific battery optimisation drivers and applications for Windows than ACPI.

As for whether you should make the switch... do it, but not Ubuntu, simply because the Unity interface isn't as good as the other available options. I'd recommend the latest version of Linux Mint - it's based on and compatible with Ubuntu but doesn't use the daft unity interface.
ratanegra
Fire Boar wrote:
Actually battery stuff is more likely vendor-specific battery optimisation drivers and applications for Windows than ACPI.

As for whether you should make the switch... do it, but not Ubuntu, simply because the Unity interface isn't as good as the other available options. I'd recommend the latest version of Linux Mint - it's based on and compatible with Ubuntu but doesn't use the daft unity interface.

What's the problem with the unity interface? And the battery is no problem to me (I don't use a battery; it's always plugged in).
Ankhanu
Personally, I think if you're using Windows Vista, you should change to almost anything else.

That out of the way, Ubuntu 12.04 is pretty modern and well designed. It took me a little bit to get used to the new default interface, but it's alright once I got accustomed to it.
ratanegra
Ok, I'll try to install Ubuntu. I opened a new thread for that (I already tried, but I failed ridiculously).
Josso
Fire Boar wrote:
I'd recommend the latest version of Linux Mint - it's based on and compatible with Ubuntu but doesn't use the daft unity interface.

Oh god I wish I knew that before I installed 11 on my netbook. God damn I hate unity
playfungames
What I think that a windows user will not have an easy time adjusting to linux based operating systems. You should upgrade to windows 7 if it is possible because I am not a big fan of Vista. Or like the other users suggested Linux Mint is great as well.

Try installing both the operating systems at ones, then try Ubuntu or Mint for a while and if you think you can handle the move, then make the move permanent.
ratanegra
ratanegra wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

What's the problem with the unity interface? And the battery is no problem to me (I don't use a battery; it's always plugged in).

What's the problem with the unity interface?
Josso
ratanegra wrote:
ratanegra wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

lol I dunno it's not a major issue especially if you do most stuff with shortcuts or terminal anyway. It just seems like the kind of crap Microsoft would come up with. Ubuntu is probs the most bulky of the linux distros stuff like that doesn't help.
menino
I've recently tried Lununtu 12.04 on an old machine, and it works quite well, until you load up more programs.
Lubuntu is a lighter version of Ubuntu, and also faster.
It has the Synaptics Package manager,s o that you can choose what programs you want to install.

Once you install Lubuntu, it will prompt you to dual boot, i.e. using GRUB boot loader, it will ask you to choose between Lubuntu and windows 7, but will default to Lubuntu, and automatically start it after about 7 seconds.

Another lighter version of Ubuntu is Crunchbang linux, but I found Lubuntu to be a little more better.
Fire Boar
ratanegra wrote:
ratanegra wrote:

Did... did you just quote yourself? Asking the exact same question? Not one day after the original?

Huh.

Anyway, the problem is simply that it's new, buggy and not very flexible.
metalfreek
ratanegra wrote:
ratanegra wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

The main problem with Unity interface is the difficulty in finding what we are looking for. I used it for couple of days and got fade up with it. Even finding terminal was hard. This new Unity Interface is not working for me.
ratanegra
Fire Boar wrote:
ratanegra wrote:
ratanegra wrote:

Did... did you just quote yourself? Asking the exact same question? Not one day after the original?

Huh.

Anyway, the problem is simply that it's new, buggy and not very flexible.

Now I feel bad about doing it. Anyway... I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and I don't have any problem with it yet, except the not-so-handy screenshot method (I have to confirm each screenshot to save it)... though it wasn't better in Windows (it just went to clipboard and I had to paste it in an editor and save it).

metalfreek wrote:
The main problem with Unity interface is the difficulty in finding what we are looking for. I used it for couple of days and got fade up with it. Even finding terminal was hard. This new Unity Interface is not working for me.

Terminal is Ctrl + Alt + T. It's difficult to find things for the first time, yes, but then I remember where they are and it's simple for me.
shoaib
i will preffer you ubunu instead Vista thats F......ks
flamepjlh
ratanegra wrote:
Well, some may think that it's obvious, but not for me. I have a laptop with Vista and would like to know if I should change to Ubuntu and why. I read some reviews, but none compared it to Ubuntu 12.04 (only to 9 or less). What do you think?

Vista????                                                

Why not win7?                                             
Shocked
ratanegra
flamepjlh wrote:
ratanegra wrote:

Vista????                                                

Why not win7?                                             
Shocked

'Cuz I had Vista... It is old. Now it has Ubuntu. I did know you could just upgrade a laptop with any Windows operative system.
mukesh
I like to much win 7 bacause i have no more idea about Ubuntu. I have Ubuntu and try to get more command on Ubuntu. But I never install Windows Vista in my laptop because I hate this Operating System.

and I think Windows Vista is to much better than Ubuntu. But I am fan of windows 7.
ratanegra
mukesh wrote:
I like to much win 7 bacause i have no more idea about Ubuntu. I have Ubuntu and try to get more command on Ubuntu. But I never install Windows Vista in my laptop because I hate this Operating System.

and I think Windows Vista is to much better than Ubuntu. But I am fan of windows 7.

Vista is not better than Ubuntu 12.04. Yes, it has some easy-to-handle functionalities, but I think that Ubuntu has some greater ones, and is kinda smarter.
pojr
Ubuntu 12.04 is decent. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't make any major improvements, such as a whole new design like they did with Ubuntu 10.04. I'm glad they fixed a few major problems in Unity, because I hated how the bar on the left always got in the way when using Ubuntu 11.10. I also installed GNOME 3 just because it's not as bad as Unity. Difficult to get used to, but much better.

However, when you compare any operating system to Windows Vista, it's no competition.
sysna
can't compare these two, if you are a programmer then ubuntu, if you are a gamer then windows, if you are using your pc/laptop for multimedia or internet surfing then both can do the job.
no-diff
Speaking as someone who just upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to Ubuntu 12.04.....12.04 *is* Canonical's Vista. By that I mean, it's broken all over the place, unintuitive, and a real disappointment.

It's still probably better than Vista, which drove me to 10.04 in the first place.

I would suggest you set up a virtual machine to try it out before switching. (or try it out with dual boot, but virtual machine might be faster to set up)
iodus
you can install it from vista.
In this case Ubuntu will make an alternative operating system. And when you will want to remobe the program, just remove it from add remove programs.
It is easy, but first take a look at the Ubuntu installation.
likeabreeze
Before you make the decision whether or not you switch to Ubuntu, there is a thing you should you first: Uninstall your windows Vista!
Windows Vista absolutely sucks.
You should have installed winXP or win7.
But if winXP or win7 is not to your taste, just go switch to Ubuntu anyway.
But keep in mind that you'd find it difficult to run some windows-only softwares once you make that switch.
I've done exactly same thing out of my curiosity, but finally I switched back to winXP.
Windows XP is relatively old and out of fashion,if you really care about that,then consider win7 instead.
bahba
I think Ubuntu 12.04 or 13.04 are the best option. You can install the two on the same machine to try.
Bahba
andro27
well, this two operating system is different,for everyday user the best is windows, but every good programer much like linux (some distro is user friendly, some not).You must try and you will see what is terminal in linux -
mingo
ratanegra wrote:

I use both Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 7
SonLight
iodus wrote:
you can install it from vista.
In this case Ubuntu will make an alternative operating system. And when you will want to remobe the program, just remove it from add remove programs.
It is easy, but first take a look at the Ubuntu installation.

The installer for this is called WUBI. Check it out at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

You can install Ubuntu without repartitioning the drives. It allocates a large file on your hard drive, and uses that space as its file system. It may be slightly slower and less reliable than a full install, but it gives you the ability to dual boot without modifying your Win setup.

Once you have installed Wubi and tried it, you have three options:

1. You can leave it as a Wubi installation as long as you like, and boot into either system whenever you want to.

2. You can uninstall Wubi using the standard Win uninstaller. This will restore your computer to the exact same configuration you had before installing it.

3. You may eventually want to do a "standard" Ubuntu install if it becomes your primary operating system.
crazyfffan
Ubuntu itself is a good OS, considering it's free. The GUI is a bit problematic to Windows followers, and not everything can be done with the GUI (in fact you need to painstakingly type in commands for almost every task). Ubuntu's softwares are real bad, partially because they're free. I've been using Ubuntu for 2 years now but every time I need to write a proper report or apply some effects on a photo I still have to switch to Windows to use its Office and Adobe Suite.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, but 10.04 is by far the best version. 13.04 is not any better, as it lacks some basic control that is provided in previous version.
bogisha
ubuntu is way better than vista in my opinion, but if you compare ubuntu and windows7 i think windows have advantage. But considering ubuntu is free it will be a better choice for regular user (read: no gamer or programmer).
Arrogant
Why not both?
Vitalist
why not both?
I use both of them.
The problem with windows is that it doesn't run most of the computers game, and also useful programs that don't have appropriate substitution in linux like photoshop.
Even though linux systems starts much quicker and shit like blue screens is not common, also I found the command line interface useful.
SonLight
bogisha wrote:
ubuntu is way better than vista in my opinion, but if you compare ubuntu and windows7 i think windows have advantage. But considering ubuntu is free it will be a better choice for regular user (read: no gamer or programmer).

I agree Ubuntu is better for the average user, although there is some issue with not having as many friends that can give advice about it. I see Open Office or Libre Office being as good as Windows Office Suite, but there is some learning curve if you're used to Word etc.

For programmers, it depends on your exact goals. If you're developing Windows applications only, a Windows machine might be better. If you desire to have your apps portable to all systems, Linux or another Unix-style OS is far better.

For gamers, I have to agree Windows has the edge. Dual booting with Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or your own favorite Linux or Unix is a good solution for many.

I wonder if a virtual machine guest OS would be helpful for some, avoiding the need to reboot. There would be some loss of efficiency when using the guest, of course. For a gamer, you would probably want Windows to be the host. For a developer, a variant of Unix should probably be the host. It would be interesting to see some benchmark results and get user's impressions of the performance cost of choosing the wrong combination for specific tasks.
codegeek
Definitely Ubuntu 13.04. There is not competition if you're talking about Vista. Now, if you're talking about Windows 7 or 8, then one would have to think. Still, Ubuntu is a pretty good option. Highly functional, very fast, really easy to download software. It's a beautiful OS.
moncong
i ever used Ubuntu after windows, but i don't know why my comp getting hot faster than windows..
but Ubuntu is very light software
Radar
codegeek wrote:
Definitely Ubuntu 13.04.

I do like the fact that this thread has been going long enough that it's no longer 12.04, but 13.04, and soon enough, 13.10.
BigGeek
I have 3 computers at home, one of them is a laptop running Windows Vista, the other two are tower PCs running XP. The problem I have is that upgrading all of them to Windows 7 and Office 2010 is over $1,500.00, not to mention the cost of other software like Photoshop, Illustrator, and Video Editing software. I realize I can always pirate software but that gets old not being able to get updates, software not working without updates and that sort of thing.

So recently here I loaded Ubuntu 12.04 on my one XP box in a dual boot. I liked it so much I down loaded all the Linux drivers for my other XP Workstation and I am going to install Ubuntu 12.04 as the only operating system. If all goes well I hope to have 3 Ubuntu machines with only the laptop running Windows 7 in a dual boot with Ubuntu. I honestly believe once I get to that point that eventually Windows will be a thing of the past. Linux gives me a lot more power and freedom over the OS that Windows can never do, plus the software is free. GIMP does everything Photoshop does, Inkscape does everything Illustrator does, there is Apache open office, Star Office, Libre Office programs for Ubuntu, the software installer is easy to use.

I am really becoming an Ubuntu fan at this point, and the power of the OS and applications for the price is unbeatable!!