You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Myself and an acquittance are co writing a podcast series (using google docs) and I hope to get the first one recorded in a couple of days time.

because I will be the only one broadcasting the show, it means I will be doing it effectively by myself.

Does anyone else out there on FriHost do a podcast?

I would really like it if I was to be able to chat and interact, but this is not possible at the time.

How can I keep the listener hooked, with it just being me talking for 20mins?
Hey there medesignz, glad to see that you are interested in becoming a podcaster. I can tell you from experience that it is not an easy task to get a podcast off the ground and running. About a year ago, a friend and I started a Portal 2 podcast called ASEMBLE over the last year we have met all kinds of people online and have had some truly spectacular experiences. About 6 months ago we scored syndication on the site we originally got help on and from there it has been an upward spiral. I won't tell you that it is easy, podcasting is work, but it is rewarding. I do have a couple of tips for you that will make it a lot easier when and if you do start.

1) Be passionate about your subject: Down the line 6 months or a year from now will you still be interested in putting in 10 hours of work per episode?

2) Email current podcasters that you know, ask them questions about things: This is how we got ASEMBLE off the ground, asking people that already had experience how they went about getting off the ground.

3) Record an Episode: The only way you are going to know if you like to podcast is to do it, record and edit an episode and figure out if you enjoy the work.

4) Get a partner: I know you said that you would probably end up being the only one recording, try not to make that the case, find someone you want to record with. Use Skype to voice chat and both record in Audacity, then edit the two tracks together in audacity during your normal cutting for the show.

5) Have a Plan: Figure out what you want to talk about and for how long beforehand, it helps a lot. (Sounds like you already have this down)

6) Don't Release your first attempt: You are going to make more mistakes on your first episode than you will ever believe, don't release it, give it to a few friends let them listen and critic then go back and redo it.

7) Have Fun: If you don't have fun doing your podcast you shouldn't be doing it. You are spending extra time to do something that you enjoy, not that is torture.

If you follow those basics, most of the other things will come naturally. There is no real time minimum for a podcast, if you can make something that is ten minutes and interesting or 30 minutes and boring do a 10 minute podcast. Keep things simple and to the point, but don't be afraid of laughing on the mic, if you hate it you can always edit it.

One last thing, you never sound as bad as you think you do, you will be hypercritical of yourself for the first few episodes and with good reason, it will take time to get into the groove, but it is worth it.
Thanks for the tips zbot