You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Liverpool to begin search for a new boss immediately

Liverpool's owners say they had no choice but to sack Kenny Dalglish following a disappointing season in the Premier League but insist he remains the 'heart and soul' of the club.

Dalglish's departure has been confirmed after days of intense speculation about his future in the wake of an inconsistent campaign.

While the Reds won the Carling Cup and reached the final of the FA Cup, they only finished eighth in the league and Fenway Sports Group felt it was time for a change.

Having informed Dalglish of their decision when he travelled to Boston, Liverpool will now begin the search for a successor immediately.

Principal owner John Henry paid tribute to Dalglish as the news of his exit was officially announced, saying on the club's official website: "Kenny will always be more than a championship winning manager, more than a championship winning star player.

"He is in many ways the heart and soul of the club. He personifies everything that is good about Liverpool Football Club. He has always put the club and its supporters first. Kenny will always be a part of the family at Anfield.

"Our job now is to identify and recruit the right person to take this club forward and build on the strong foundations put in place during the last 18 months."
Well as a Swansea AND Liverpool fan, I'm gutted and excited the same time. Gutted that Swansea's progress may be halted by Brendan Rodgers move to Liverpool, but also excited that Liverpool may be able to return to the good old days of being an excellent passing team under Brendan Rodgers. I don't think Andy Carroll has any place in Brendan's philosophy though. I also fear that Swansea may lose some key players to Liverpool.
I think it's confirmed, Brendan Rodgers has signed for Liverpool as their new manager. This guy thinks they can win the title ... let's see, only time will tell ...
In any case, at first glance, I'm skeptical of whether he'll make any difference at all Question
Liverpool certainly needed a change. Winning the Carling Cup isn't as big an achievement as their competitors have achieved - Chelsea won the Champions League. Manchester United finished second in the Premier League, Arsenal qualified for next year's Champions League. Also, with Manchester City claiming the tile this season, Liverpool haven't yet won in the Barclays Premier League era, which even teams like Blackburn and City have achieved, whose histories are not comparable with Liverpool's.

The good thing with Liverpool is that they have a huge scope of improvement. And with players like Suarez, Carroll and the lot on their rolls, they can do very well in their peak form. Smile