FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Magnetic plate stuck on car





CuddleBunny
So I've got a magnetic plate that is stuck onto the hood of my car after having sat in the sun for who knows how long. The corners can peel off but the centre piece is pretty much STUCK.

Has anyone come across this problem before??? I'm aching to know how to get the thing off !!!!!
And I don't want to damage the paint..

DAMSEL IN DISTRESS
IceCreamTruck
Is it just magnetic or attached?

I'm afraid the paint is ruined. The paint under the sign will not fade with the rest of the paint in the sun. Generally you want to pull the magnetic signs off a car every once in a while, or move them around so they don't affect the paint.

Sounds like it got wet under the sign and probably rusted the two pieces together. If you go ahead and rip it off, you will probably find rust. I'm betting that you won't find good paint.
standready
Just how long was the magnetic plate sitting there to get so well attached? Months?
IceCreamTruck
DAMSEL IN DISTRESS wrote:
sat in the sun for who knows how long.


this is the measurement of time given! Smile

PS. You should try the junk yard, my fair lady! they may have a hood in your color.
IceCreamTruck
BTW, I was thinking about the whole thing and a new idea came to me. The hood does need to be replaced. The magnetic sticker has probably been glued to the hood. It can slide off in hi wind conditions, and gluing it to the hood is a simple way to make sure it stays put, which is what I am guessing is probably the cause of your predicament. Replace the hood or charge them for advertising! Smile
CuddleBunny
well in my country, drivers that do not have their full licence must display a "learning" or "provisional" plate on their car. The one I have was a hard plastic with magnetic properties in. sort of like your average plastic fridge magnet. Now think of that and it being stuck onto my car lol.

I've read on other forums that you could use a hairdryer and ply it off that way or use an agent called WD-40. But I'm pretty worried haha. My first car and I've gone and got a bloody think stuck to it now. FML
deanhills
CuddleBunny wrote:
well in my country, drivers that do not have their full licence must display a "learning" or "provisional" plate on their car. The one I have was a hard plastic with magnetic properties in. sort of like your average plastic fridge magnet. Now think of that and it being stuck onto my car lol.

I've read on other forums that you could use a hairdryer and ply it off that way or use an agent called WD-40. But I'm pretty worried haha. My first car and I've gone and got a bloody think stuck to it now. FML
I'd go to your local garage and ask the mechanics for advice.
XchaosX
Ya I never understood why the make you have put the magnets on your car when you are a first time driver I mean a window decal is much easier to use and dose not damage the cosmetics of the vehicle. if its like cheap plastic I would try using a heat gun and heat the surface the the magnet if its metal not sure dont think a heat gun would work other alternative is use youtube to find a video.
IceCreamTruck
CuddleBunny wrote:
well in my country, drivers that do not have their full licence must display a "learning" or "provisional" plate on their car. The one I have was a hard plastic with magnetic properties in. sort of like your average plastic fridge magnet. Now think of that and it being stuck onto my car lol.

I've read on other forums that you could use a hairdryer and ply it off that way or use an agent called WD-40. But I'm pretty worried haha. My first car and I've gone and got a bloody think stuck to it now. FML


The primary ingredient in WD-40 (Water Displacement number 40) is fish oil. It's a very popular lubricant here in the US because it's completely nontoxic. It smells like oil, but you can drink it and it will not harm you, and it's good for lots and lots of uses, like duct tape.

The hair drier may work as well, but I would test all of these first at little and try to not go overboard as everything except the fish oil may easily damage your car. The fish oil should actually protect the metal, as this is how the US keeps anything from rusting, basically.
XchaosX
The hair dryer would work if it was a window decal but its not and its on a metal surface I assume to I would use the heat gun will work better its made for stuff like what you have to remove plus the heat gun can get as hot a 500+ a regualr hair dryer is lower tempature I would not recommend using the heat gun to dry your hair it is called the hair dryer from hell for a reason LOL
BigGeek
Skip the WD 40, get a bottle of rubbing alcohol, or better yet mineral spirits or lacquer thinner and soak the sign, and use a plastic scraper something like a plastic body filler applicator, and thick rag to work the sign, keep soaking the sign, and rubbing it off, working the corners of the sign with the plastic tool, being as careful of the paint as you can, and keep soaking the edges trying to get the thinner and alcohol under the sign, and it will eventually work off, it may take some time, but the thinner or alcohol will break down the plastic in the sign, and any glue under it.

NO the thinner or alcohol will not damage the paint as long as you do not leave it on there for any extended period of time, believe me I've done this sort of thing more times than I can count.

It will take some elbow grease, and careful use of the plastic scraper, but once it is off, and all the residue removed, wash the hood off with hot soapy water, and work it through with some rubbing compound followed with some polishing compound, and then buff it off and wax it. If there are any scratches in it, get some 2000 grit wet sand paper, and gently wet sand the scratches, and re-polish and re-buff it.

You will be surprised at how tough auto paint is, and how much you can work on it without destroying it. And wet sanding the clear with 2000 grit paper will also work miracles.

Once had a car that was stolen and the thief tried to hide the car by spray painting parts of the hood, bumper, and trunk lid with black paint. When the car was recovered, I worked on the black paint for hours with lacquer thinner, until I rubbed all the black off, then I used rubbing compound and polishing compound on it, and then waxed up the whole car.

After I got done repairing the damage to the car from the thieves, I started driving it again.....people kept asking me if I had the car repainted........you can fix it, it just takes time, and a lot of solvent Cool
CuddleBunny
so got around to removing it today. I started off with the hairdryer, heating it and trying to get it off. it did to an extent but 50% of it was still stuck on. My grandm bought out some gasoline and told me to soak it and rub it off like that, although the plastic did seem to dissolve in it, it wasnt very efficient when it came to dissolving a large slab off plastic.

my mum was actually quite helpful. so for those who come across this same problem. you need these things:
1) PATIENCE! and lots of it. i took 2.5hours to get the bloody thing off
2) hot water from a kettle, etc.
3) nails.

so we poured hot water onto it and then peeled it off gradually with the force of our nails. it was painstakingly slow but, everything got off and there are no scratches on the car and the paint is as new as before. (Y)

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM LOL
deanhills
Yeah ...... well done Cuddlebunny. Determination and team work paid off in the end. Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
You missed a golden opportunity to cause irreparable damage, but if you are happy with this outcome, then so are we! Sounds to me like you had to work past some kind of adhesive or glue, because magnets don't usually fix to the surface to which they cling without a little help.

Happy for you to get the desired outcome! Good work!
Ghost Rider103
Quote:
2) hot water from a kettle, etc.


Was going to tell you, I read somewhere that you are not supposed to try and pull the magnet off while it's hot. This apparantly makes it a bit more difficult as it will expand, become more gooey/sticky.

This site: http://www.ehow.com/how_5002742_car-magnet-off-car.html recommends you take it off while it's at around room temperature to avoid the magnet expanding while it's hot, or it may break into pieces if it's too cold.

So they recommend to pour hot water on it and then cold water.

But you managed to get it off, well done. Good thing none of the paint was ruined.

Quote:
well in my country, drivers that do not have their full licence must display a "learning" or "provisional" plate on their car. The one I have was a hard plastic with magnetic properties in. sort of like your average plastic fridge magnet. Now think of that and it being stuck onto my car lol.


I don't really see the purpose in this. If a person is intelligent enough to drive a vehicle on their own then flagging other drivers that another driver is "new" so to speak is not relevant. Plus if the magnet ever damaged one of my vehicles, you'd bet I wouldn't be the one paying for it!

If a driver has to "flag" other drivers they just received a license or whatever, then they shouldn't be driving in the first place in my opinion. But oh well, that's off topic. Razz
Related topics
Starter Car
The Archive of All Funny
Funny Joke, VooDoo D&%$!!!
Turbo Car :)
Politicaly incorrect blonde jokes
GTA: San Andreas PC (OFFICIAL THREAD)
Funny Accident
car
12 classics comprehending :
stuck in toll booth
Car insurance scandal
World's fastest car
ever been stuck in an elevator?
Car Omelette
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.