FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can any1 tell me how to build a laptop??

vaishnavsm
Ok,
I want to build a laptop, just for the sake of if..
and by this, I mean making it from scratch, making
the case, etc (no, I dont want to nor can I make a Motherboard and processor)

So, can any1 help me..

I WANT to build this.

Thanks,
Me

====================================
Two roads diverged in the woods and i-
i took the one more travelled my.
and that has made no difference
Bluedoll
Can not really direct you to a site but just wanted to comment that I thought this was pretty good idea. I do see that there are many parts available for laptops available that you can purchase if you search out suppliers. It really depends on what you want to spend. If you have a limited budget you could go the used laptop route, for certainly there are deals out there to be had and built from there. Another more expensive route would be to look at some newer technology. I see some very interesting keyboards, now for example. A customized approach could be interesting.
vaishnavsm
I only want to build the chassis..
I can buy the rest.
ie: screen, M.B, etc
nepalstar
vaishnavsm wrote:
Ok,
I want to build a laptop, just for the sake of if..
and by this, I mean making it from scratch, making
the case, etc (no, I dont want to nor can I make a Motherboard and processor)

So, can any1 help me..

I WANT to build this.

Thanks,
Me

====================================
Two roads diverged in the woods and i-
i took the one more travelled my.
and that has made no difference

Wow...! It seems really great idea to build Laptop... if you success to build please let us know by this forum....! You want to build Laptop but I even can't repair that...!
william
Building a laptop the traditional way is pretty easy. You buy a barebone which consists of the chassis, motherboard, cooling system and often the graphics card, wireless card, and screen and then add the CPU, RAM, hard disks, etc. yourself.

But building one from scratch is extremely involved if you want to do it right. If you go around the web, you will find that there are some people that have made laptops from scratch, but these projects are rare because of the level of difficulty. Here's the thing, laptop motherboards are designed to work with the respective chassis' and with nothing else. The cases are made for these motherboards and their cooling systems. So the first problem is, where do you plan on getting the motherboard? If you choose to extract one from an existing laptop, then you'll have to design the case to have the correct dimensions and mounting points for the given motherboard. This is certainly doable, but we can already see the limitations compared to, say, a desktop build. Similar things can be said about the keyboard and the touchpad.

You could solve the problem by using desktop components. The result would be an enormous machine, but it has been done (I can't find the link to it, though).

But let's assume you went ahead and found a suitable motherboard and that you found all of the other necessary components that will allow you to build a functioning computer. Let's say you also got your hands on a nice 17" LCD panel. Your job is to design and build a case for these components. Now, I'm just going to generalize a few things since I have no experience, but you pretty much have to design the casing in CAD accounting for all the mounting points for the motherboard, the airflow, the location of the ports, etc. Then you have to print the files onto a sheet of aluminum or plastic with a laser cutter. And this is another important thing, to do it right you have to have access to a laser cutter or CNC router. I mean, I suppose if you are very skilled, you could do it by hand.

But anyway, don't let what I'm saying discourage you. Custom laptop builds never cease to amaze me, partly because of the craftsmanship and partly because of how much involvement they require.

Let me show you a couple sites that might get you started:

Laptop made from Mini-ITX components (Doesn't require the use of laptop specific parts)
Xbox 360 Laptop (this is a legendary build).

There are a few more on Ben Heck's site. Check them out. Also, this was an interesting initiative, but I haven't heard anything about it recently.

Anyway, if you do build a laptop, be sure to post a work log. It will be quite fascinating to see. Very Happy
Bluedoll
The 2nd one the xbox was funny. We did this so we could type? Still, it was interesting what lengths people will go to and how skilled they are to do something orginal. Well done boys. Smile