FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How I can clean all data from computer

sonam
I have one old computer with WinXP. It is very old and slow. I would like to format disc but I cannot because there is Windows. Of course, I would like to keep bios setting (because I cannot find out any characteristic of this computer) and I cannot install new one.

I need step by step the simplest instructions what to do.

Sonam
Marcuzzo
here's what I would do ( assuming you know the administrator password )

Most old PC's that are slow have a fragged drive.
I would also advise to start with a clean profile.

1. Log on with the administrator account and uninstall all the programs you don't need

2. Delete ALL the other profiles in C:\Documents and Settings\ exept for:
- the admin account
- the All users folder
- the default folder

3. Create a new profile ( control panel / user accounts )
- this will be the new profile you will be using in the future
- I recommend creating a user with limited rights and use runas for install's

4. run a system clean ( Start/accesories/system tools/ system clean ( or disk clean )
- once I cleared over 5 Gb using just that program

5. Defrag the hard drive ( Make sure that you've got enough free space )
- this may take a while and maybe even several attempts.
( you want to have the colors grouped, especially the white parts )

6. clean the registry ( this one is up for discussion )
- I've never seen an increase in performance by cleaning or defragging the registry but I've increased my boot time by removing startup applications.
only leave the stuff you realy need in HKey local user/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run ( I think )

also run an AV to check for malware and the lot
sonam
Thanks Marcuzzo but I would like to clean all data with format disc (format C:/) and then install fresh Windows.

Sonam
jdelfire
sonam wrote:
I have one old computer with WinXP. It is very old and slow. I would like to format disc but I cannot because there is Windows. Of course, I would like to keep bios setting (because I cannot find out any characteristic of this computer) and I cannot install new one.

I need step by step the simplest instructions what to do.

Sonam

How come you cannot format your windows? The only reason that you won't be able to format is if your drive is busted or I am assuming you are trying to format your drive from within windows which of course will not work.

Quote:
Of course, I would like to keep bios setting (because I cannot find out any characteristic of this computer)

Bios settings wont be affected regardless what kind of operating system you install be it windows 3.1, NT,95,98, ME, XP, 2003, 2008, 7 etc...

I think what worries you is the driver of your PC not the BIOS...
If you would like to get an overview of your computer hardware download and install speccy

http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=speccy

Here is video on how to format and install windows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0cop_am1WM
sonam
I understand what do you mean but I am follow exact steps for this computer like on your video but when installing XP is over I am find lot of old files there on C disc (like old My Documents, etc.). It's looking windows CD didn't format disc totally. I was surprised why format disc is not completed and I cannot find good answer on this question. This is reason why I would like to format disc via DOS and then install fresh Windows.

Sonam
cybersa
sonam wrote:
I understand what do you mean but I am follow exact steps for this computer like on your video but when installing XP is over I am find lot of old files there on C disc (like old My Documents, etc.). It's looking windows CD didn't format disc totally. I was surprised why format disc is not completed and I cannot find good answer on this question. This is reason why I would like to format disc via DOS and then install fresh Windows.

Sonam

If can boot into Windows Installation CD,then you can format the C: Drive and able to install the windows freshly.

or

Try some Partition Manager Live CD,then format it.
like GParted live cd.