FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My favorite Game is DotA

A DotA player?
yes
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
no
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

90dota
I love it! And always playing!Twisted Evil
Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is an action real-time strategy mod for the video game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, based on the "Aeon of Strife" map for StarCraft. The objective of the scenario is for each team to destroy the opponents' Ancients, heavily guarded structures at opposing corners of the map. Players use powerful units known as heroes, and are assisted by allied heroes and AI-controlled fighters. As in role-playing games, players level up their heroes and use gold to buy equipment during the mission.
The scenario was developed with the "World Editor" of Reign of Chaos, and was updated upon the release of its expansion, The Frozen Throne. There have been many variations of the original concept; the most popular being DotA Allstars, which eventually was simplified to DotA with the release of version 6.68. This specific scenario has been maintained by several authors during development, the latest of whom being the anonymous developer known as "IceFrog" developing the game since 2005.
Since its original release, DotA has become a feature at several worldwide tournaments, including Blizzard Entertainment's BlizzCon and the Asian World Cyber Games, as well as the Cyberathlete Amateur and CyberEvolution leagues; in a 2008 article of video game industry website Gamasutra, the article's author claimed that "DotA is likely the most popular and most-discussed free, non-supported game mod in the world". Valve Corporation is currently developing a stand-alone sequel, Dota 2.
Gregoric
I would rather call myself retired player. I've played WarCraft III version only several times - I rather chose to fight over the traditional Battle.net in solo or team games.

The version I actually loved was DotX - later version created for StarCraft. Its full name is Defense of the Xel'Naga. I remember to have played as Edmund Duke (siege tank) teamed with my friend as Jim Raynor (marine). It was pure ownage.

However W3 is on my PC since I had bought it several years ago, I haven't played it for a long time. Anyway - both orginal Defenses are great. I don't like all the League of Legends or Rise of Immortals copies - they do not 'kick ass' as originals did.

I've heard about Valve suing Blizzard for using THEIR name in StarCraft 2 mod DotA Allstars. It is ridiculous that Valve now has rights to use it while the Blizzard's mod will be named Blizzard Allstars...
drunkenkoz
I am a Dota player, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get into Dota 2. I have the beta of it on steam but it really didn't appeal to me in anyway. I've mostly been playing League of Legends which is a much better game, personally.
weableandbob
I'm personally not a fan of DotA itself or exact copies like HoN. I am, however, a huge fan of League of Legends: the gameplay is much more fun in my opinion, and it is overall just a more enjoyable game. As for Blizzard suing Valve over the DotA, I think they came to a peaceful agreement.
luciferfawkes
DOTA is much more competitive compared to LoL. I mean, no offense to LoL players, but LoL is a child play compared to DOTA and DOTA2. I could login into LoL right now and just destroy people with ease but when it comes to DOTA, it's a totally different story. You actually have to work together, roam the map, call out people, place wards, ect. I find it more challenging which I enjoy, that and the graphics aren't so cartoonish looking.
drunkenkoz
luciferfawkes wrote:
DOTA is much more competitive compared to LoL. I mean, no offense to LoL players, but LoL is a child play compared to DOTA and DOTA2. I could login into LoL right now and just destroy people with ease but when it comes to DOTA, it's a totally different story. You actually have to work together, roam the map, call out people, place wards, ect. I find it more challenging which I enjoy, that and the graphics aren't so cartoonish looking.

Obviously you've never played League of Legends if you think it's not challenging. I guarantee you haven't even experienced what it's like to play competitively in League of Legends past an 1800 rating. You're probably one of those guys that makes a level 1 account and just plays against new players just to think hes some sort of hotshot. I've played both DOTA and DOTA 2 and I have to say that League of Legends is by far a better game in comparison.
Richyben
Can somebody please tell me about the game dota?