FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

milk as single food source

badai
can an adult survive by only drinking low fat high calcium milk without any solid food?
SonLight
Yes, provided he/she has a high enough level of lactase to digest the milk sugar. The primary reason people of northern European descent can digest milk is because their ancestors often had little else to eat in the winter time.

I would not recommend anyone try to avoid all other foods, though. While you can survive, you are likely to have some malnutrition issues with nothing else for food.
Insanity
No, you would get scurvy at the very least if you did nothing but drink lots of milk. Milk simply doesn't have enough nutrients for you to survive long term. It does have a lot of calories and protein, though, so that makes it a good choice if you're drinking something long term. There are people who drinks gallons of milk per day in order to bulk up, but they are usually doing that in addition to eating their fruits, vegetables, and starchy foods like bread or rice.
badai
Insanity wrote:
No, you would get scurvy at the very least if you did nothing but drink lots of milk. Milk simply doesn't have enough nutrients for you to survive long term. It does have a lot of calories and protein, though, so that makes it a good choice if you're drinking something long term. There are people who drinks gallons of milk per day in order to bulk up, but they are usually doing that in addition to eating their fruits, vegetables, and starchy foods like bread or rice.

milk + lemonade? milk when hungry and lemonade when thirsty.
SonLight
Insanity wrote:

No one claims you would have ideal health if drinking only milk. Certainly lack of vitamin C is one of the nutrients with the lowest level in milk. My milk carton claims one glass has 4% RDA of vitamin C. If I remember correctly, that would be 4% of 60 mg or about two and a half mg. If I drank a gallon a day, that would give me 40 mg of vitamin C. Definitely below the recommended 60 mg, but above the old MDR of 30 mg -- which was set specifically just high enough to prevent scurvy.