FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Use of Physics as weapons

exar_gon_sith
Does anyone ever wonders about the uses of the basic "tools" as weapons?
Either in Star Wars or Star Trek there are superluminal speed and tractor beams.
What happens if a ship lock onto a portion of the enemy ship and then goes superluminal? And, if the failsafes are a hindrance, to wich degree can an override turn a tractor beam into a ship shredder?
SonLight
Hi, welcome to Frihost. In regard to using a tractor beam together with faster-than-light drive as a ship shredder, my question is which ship would get shredded? Perhaps both; perhaps instead there are physical constraints (not just safety interlocks) that prevent the two technologies from working at the same time.

I think there is a story in there somewhere ...
exar_gon_sith
Well, not entirelly. In Star Trek, the Warp field could extend to engulf some of the "target" ship. Ok, there would be HUGE gravitic and quantic forces upon the warp field. Maybe a Warp disable time perhaps. But the chunk in the other ship hull might be worth the effort.
A similar analysis can happen to star wars.
On a second though, let's no go full-warp. Only near-light speed would be enough to give a good ram to the other ship. Both ships, actually. I know that deflector shields and kinetic barriers cannot withstand a fullspeed hit (to either sides) but I'm thiking more in a sneak attack approach. Or an "Offensive Picard Maneuver" approach...
abhizz
Hello exar_gon_sith,

welcome to frihost forum, keep making great posts and maintain the websites well.
deanhills
Welcome to Frihost exar_gon_sith. Cool