FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you like avocado?

lovescience
Do you like avocado?

How do you like to eat an avocado?
sonam
I don't like it. :-& My wife prepare spread with slice of bread (every one like it) and I can eat but this is not my favorite one.

Sonam
deanhills
I do. But it has to be good quality avocado. Naturally ripened, heavy with the texture of butter. I mix it with garlic and lime juice and add tomato and green salad to it. Avocados are a power house of nutrition.
coolclay
I love avo's! I'll eat them pretty much anyway, sliced and eaten straight, in taco, guacamole, ceviche, sandwiches etc. I was spoiled living in Southern Cali for a few years, my boss had a tree and it had thousands of them!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
I love avo's! I'll eat them pretty much anyway, sliced and eaten straight, in taco, guacamole, ceviche, sandwiches etc. I was spoiled living in Southern Cali for a few years, my boss had a tree and it had thousands of them!
I'd die to have lived in a place where I could pick avos from a tree. Must be real healthy living.
TurtleShell
I love them--eat them all the time! Living in Socal now, so they're available all over the place. I like them best just sliced plain, with a little salt.
Cosmoslayer
No. Razz
Ghost Rider103
Avacados are excellent! They go great with all sorts of foods, I really like them on sandwiches. I've had them on a few burgers as well and they are just excellent!

I do enjoy them by themselves as well. With a little mayo and pepper!

It's too bad they are tough to get where I'm at. They are also expensive here!
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
It's too bad they are tough to get where I'm at. They are also expensive here!
Same here. We used to get plenty of really good ones from Australia here in the UAE. And then after the tsunami and lots of rain and floods in Australia the good harvests must have suffered as out of every four I buy, maybe one is good. I've given up on them now as they're quite expensive. Hopefully they'll get it right one of these days again. We had some good ones from Peru for a while since people were complaining about the Ozzie ones, but they did not have as many stocks and it did not last that long.
Aredon
I can safely say that I do not much care for them. I don't know what it is specifically about it that bothers me, I just don't really like the flavor I guess.
airh3ad
As we all knows Avocado is considered the most nutritious fruit in the world. Avocado provides more than 25 essential nutrients such as protein, potassium, vitamin E, C, B-vitamins, folic acid, iron, copper, phosphorus and magnesium. Avocado also provides calories for energy and beneficial phytochemicals such as beta-sitosterol, glutathione and lutein (necessary to protect us from the damage of ultraviolet radiation from many sources -computers and environment.
Overall, avocado is considered a complete food. With vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, calories and fiber with no cholesterol and is sodium free. Avocado is ideal for growing up children, adults and even for babies, especially when blended with other fruits. For athletes, avocado is a nutritious energy booster to rev up the body’s strength.eat more avocado.
Vanilla
I find strange that you eat then with salt. Here in Brazil avocados are more like dessert. Razz
And I love them! Since I was a baby. My mom told me that I used to make a green mess and really enjoy it. I still eat them the same way: lemon juice and lots of sugar. Yummy. My grandpa has a tree in his farm and he really enjoys it too.

They're very good for your hair AND skin too. When I have easy access to avocados, I like doing other things than eating. Very Happy
spinout
I like it stuffed... with shrimps n caviar... n other variants...
deanhills
spinout wrote:
I like it stuffed... with shrimps n caviar... n other variants...
Aha .... shrimp cocktail. I haven't had one of those in a very long time. Yum!

foumy6
I dont really care for it though I have only had it a very few times just a very strange taste if you ask me
chartcentral
I like avocado! I do eat the actual fruit when it's available. But more conveniently, it would come in shake form from our local shake vendor. Smile
TheGremlyn
I don't like it on its own. I did use it in a bread recipe before.. It was okay, you didn't really taste it though. And I do like it in sushi!

Its just weird because its squishy and you could spread it like peanut butter :S
johans
lovescience wrote:
Do you like avocado?

How do you like to eat an avocado?

I like it.. the best fruit ever, full of vitamins..
nepalstar
I don't like to have Avocado...! whenever I go to one of my friends home he always offers me that which I don't like..!
pauline5765
Yep. I do. Though I think I can only eat one at a time. It's too sweet for me and if I repeatedly eat an avocado, it makes me sick.. :/

My mother likes avocado so much she makes avocado juice, avocado shake, avocado candy.. all weird stuff. :/
menino
I've heard about avocados since a long time, but here in Kuwait also they are quite expensive.
One day when it was on a special offer, I bought a small bunch, and tried one, and it was sour, so I didn't bother about the others.
I've tried avocado milk shake though, and like it, but I guess its mainly because of the sugar in the milkshake.
Still, how does one know if an avocado is good or not? is it like an orange or mango?
deanhills
menino wrote:
I've heard about avocados since a long time, but here in Kuwait also they are quite expensive.
One day when it was on a special offer, I bought a small bunch, and tried one, and it was sour, so I didn't bother about the others.
I've tried avocado milk shake though, and like it, but I guess its mainly because of the sugar in the milkshake.
Still, how does one know if an avocado is good or not? is it like an orange or mango?
It has to feel heavy to the touch. Inside it has to have the consistency of butter, sort of butter colour as well. It has a neutral taste in the direction of nut flavour. Usually I mash it with garlic and lemon and add other salads with it or tomato. We don't usually get the best of avocados here in the Middle East as in most cases they get here green and stores don't know how to ripen them properly as they put transport them in refrigerated trucks and they don't keep them at the right temperature required. The last few batches I bought all were black inside or with dark patches. And I had to throw them out.
D'Artagnan
only with lots of sugar
menino
deanhills wrote:
menino wrote:
It has to feel heavy to the touch. Inside it has to have the consistency of butter, sort of butter colour as well. It has a neutral taste in the direction of nut flavour. Usually I mash it with garlic and lemon and add other salads with it or tomato. We don't usually get the best of avocados here in the Middle East as in most cases they get here green and stores don't know how to ripen them properly as they put transport them in refrigerated trucks and they don't keep them at the right temperature required. The last few batches I bought all were black inside or with dark patches. And I had to throw them out.

Thanks for the info, deanhills. I guess, I'll have to get it as part of the milk shake mainly. :p
Still, maybe if there are good offers on fruits, I'll invest a teeny sum to buy a small amount and try it at home again - this time, mix it with honey and probably some other fruits and try it out.
crystalkey
I've tried to eat one, once. It didn't get past my lips.
sameerseo
Yes i like it very much.
grofet
avocado juice really really have a good taste
you should try it
deanhills
grofet wrote:
avocado juice really really have a good taste
you should try it
I have. It's quite popular in the Middle East. But WOW! don't have it before a big meal as it's like a meal in itself. Sort of fills you up completely. But yes, if done right, it is VERY delicious.
Lishmares
I really wanted to eat avocado because it's a superaliment but god it taste like hell lol i really dont like that taste but then again maybe it's only me that doesnt know how to prepare it, everyone i know eat them raw so thats what i tried but even mixed in a salad it's just..yuk!
Afaceinthematrix
I am from Los Angeles. I eat guacamole like it is going out of style. I don't usually eat avocados by themselves, though.
Peterssidan
I think I have tasted it many years ago. From what I can recall I didn't like it very much.
alvarorojas4
I don'ty like it... :S
taytay
I haven't had a straight up avocado.. But I do like the home made dip my mom makes with them!
deanhills
Straight up may be a little too fatty for some people. Probably better to dice it up in salads or mix it into a sauce of something so it's an accompaniment rather than a main dish. With lots of garlic of course.
Aredon
deanhills wrote:
Straight up may be a little too fatty for some people. Probably better to dice it up in salads or mix it into a sauce of something so it's an accompaniment rather than a main dish. With lots of garlic of course.

Garlic does in fact make everything better, but I'm not sure it could save Avocado for me. There's something about the texture/taste that just makes my skin crawl. I can't do it Sad.
deanhills
Aredon wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Garlic does in fact make everything better, but I'm not sure it could save Avocado for me. There's something about the texture/taste that just makes my skin crawl. I can't do it Sad.
I think I get it. It does have a unique texture. I went off Avocado for a long while, and I think that was part of the reason too. I'm having it again in my salads, but in much smaller quantities. My latest and newest vegetable I really like is cucumber. Used to dislike it and always picked cucumber pieces out of a salad, but for some or other reason I can't get enough of it these days. That and fresh spinach. Weird! Twisted Evil
spinout
mm, everyone seems to stick schrimps in them and well then they are eatable... Hm, with age it gets better.
deanhills
spinout wrote:
mm, everyone seems to stick schrimps in them and well then they are eatable... Hm, with age it gets better.
Right. Like in a shrimp cocktail as an aperitif. If done well, and with ripe avocado, it can be delicious. Haven't had one in ages.

This one looks good - Avocado, prawn & fennel cocktail recipe. I'm hungry!

samanyolu07
I like avacado.is a nice addition to salads
twotrophy
Yes, I like to eat avocados even though I rarely eat them. The thing that I hate about them is that you have to wait for the fruit to be ripe before eating them. The fruit can also be blended to make fruit juice. I recommend adding sugar to the juice.
deanhills
twotrophy wrote:
The thing that I hate about them is that you have to wait for the fruit to be ripe before eating them.
This is true. And if you get them too green, and don't ripen them the right way, they may turn out to be brown/black. Not all green avocados lean themselves to easy ripening either, I've discovered the ones that work by trial and error. In the process have experienced many a disappointment with my purchases. And expensive ones to boot as well.
oskurogsxr
what the hell is an avocado? xDD
mshafiq
I also do not like avocado too much because it has too much energy and oily and also taste is not too much good but because of it good health benefits i have to eat at least one or have daily avocado. i want to share some important health benefits to all of you.
very important problem in man in older age is prostrate gland problem.My father had this problem and is very painful. i heard that if we will eat avocado it prevent this problem and also it prevent Prostate Cancer that is also very common.Avocados inhibit the growth of prostate cancer.it is good for eye health and heart health and it is good for skin.
Avocado oil is good for skin it reduce age spot and helps to heal sun damage and sun scars.Avocado oil
is easily adsorbed in the skin deep tissues.
deanhills
mshafiq wrote:
I also do not like avocado too much because it has too much energy and oily and also taste is not too much good but because of it good health benefits i have to eat at least one or have daily avocado. i want to share some important health benefits to all of you.
very important problem in man in older age is prostrate gland problem.My father had this problem and is very painful. i heard that if we will eat avocado it prevent this problem and also it prevent Prostate Cancer that is also very common.Avocados inhibit the growth of prostate cancer.it is good for eye health and heart health and it is good for skin.
Avocado oil is good for skin it reduce age spot and helps to heal sun damage and sun scars.Avocado oil
is easily adsorbed in the skin deep tissues.
OK, I'm back on avocado again. Very Happy

Had a salad tonight, and for a change a really healthy avocado, right texture, right taste. In terms of bad avocados (the ones that are brown) avocados are pretty expensive where I am. I'd say for every good avocado I see at least three or more not so good avocados.
jajarvin
Avocado is a good snack.
bennybumkins
I really dislike the taste of avacodo it tastes too much like soap to me Confused