FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

the supermoon

lightwate
It happened yesterday, and I couldn't believe I missed it. The sky wasn't clear last night but it's more because I wasn't paying attention to the news.

It's supposedly the biggest view of the moon this year and everyone's talking about it [url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2140074/Supermoon-2012-pictures-Our-cosmic-sidekick-appears-biggest-brightest-form.html"]images[/url]

Was it really that great? mahn, I feel stupid for not looking out of the window last night
Ankhanu
It's nice... but only insofar as the moon is always nice Razz The whole "supermoon" thing is pretty blown... out of proportion.

*Puts on sunglasses*
YYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....
Josso
I was out driving and I glanced over briefly and was like "cool".

That's about it.

It was very scientific.
ocalhoun
*considers reading about it since I missed it entirely*
*sees daily fail in the url*
*decides that there's no reason to read*
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:

Even Americans call the mail the fail. Their BS has gone international.
Josso
truespeed wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Even Americans call the mail the fail. Their BS has gone international.

lol always remember that ancient anecdote about the reading age of 9.
Navigator
You guys have any pics?
memno
It was super-bright the day after, brighter than I've seen, that night it was cloudy here, but i've seen the huge, yellow moon much much bigger; like the size of an old 50-cent piece or a Loony (if you're Canadian), if you hold it up close to your face. Like a foot hand-spand in front of you.
lightningleo
the pics were pretty awesome..
i pity myself.. i couldn't watch it..
mazito
it just an efect in the percepction

see this link Moon_illusion
GuidanceReader
The supermoon refers to when the moon is at it's closest to the Earth in it's orbit aligned with a full moon, which does give an appearance of larger size. It's not all just effect/perception.
mazito
WIKIPEDIA wrote:
The distance between the Moon and the Earth varies from around 356,400 km to 406,700 km at the extreme perigees (closest) and apogees (farthest). On 19 March 2011, it was closer to the Earth while at full phase than it has been since 1993. Reported as a "super moon", this closest point coincides within an hour of a full moon, and it thus appeared 30 percent brighter, and 14 percent larger than when at its greatest distance.

last may 5, was the last closets distance at 356,955.718 km, and the average distance is 384000 km

some media report that the moon was 14 % closer but was 8 % real, its just a perception issue

next full moon do the next

wait to the moon raise and wtch it, then go out 1 hour later and see it again you will notice that the moon shrink.

in the photos the trick is the ange and the objects.

this issue in perception is due to a bad distance calculation, when the moon is in the edge of the horizont and we know how far is (in mountain region or in with a tall building references is most easy to noticed) our brain miscalculate the size of the moon.
evablast
just hearing about this now...
bhlotfi
More explication