FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How big is your house?

chasbeen
I have been the owner of houses ranging from 1200 square feet with a 1000 square foot garden (tiny) to a 4,800 square feet house with 3 acres.

I now live in a house with 1600 square feet and the 1600 square feet of garden and a one car garage.

For me this is the perfect size for me ans my other half. Any larger and the costs of keeping a house increase and you never get all the jobs you need doing done. I also prefer having no wasted space.

I was watching a program where a couple had been building this huge house for years but the lady started saying things like "I don't know what I will do with this room"

I think we have misconceptions on what our ideal size of property should be, I know I found mine. What's yours?
deanhills
I'm the same here Chasbeen. I have a two bedroom town house, a porch and car port and that is more than enough for me. I can't understand why people need very large places, unless they are very heavy entertainers or need to house business associates on a very regular basis.
spinout
since Meters are bigger than Foots Laughing :

155 sqare meters of living area, 35 sqaure meters of warm garage.
catalina_udara
74 sqare meters of living area, 42 sqaure meters of garden. a very lovely garden Smile
wish I had more space ... but thats the life! my family, brothers and sisters do make a noise in every time Sad((((((
chasbeen
As a rough guide multiply the square meter people by 10
Plan A was to buy a bighorn place so my grown up kids had a place with their own place
What happened
Daughter never came home and sons marriage but it's never that good if your kids don't feel the place is theirs.
Downsizing to a place a third the size is much much better.

Still got me own space DH!
TurtleShell
My house is 1374 square feet but i can't remember the lot size. Not very big--we live in an urban area. But we're still happy with it! The house has 2 bedrooms plus a spare room right now but if we ever have that other kid we want, it will be a 3br then:) My favorite things about my house include:

1) eat in kitchen
2) awesome vintage stove that the previous owners left
3) pool in the back yard
4) a driveway wide enough for two cars and lots of trees:)
deanhills
You've just reminded me Turtleshell. I've always wanted an eat in kitchen. Instead I can barely move around in the kitchen. Who knows, maybe my next home.
loyal
How big is my house?
Big enough for me so I'm happy Razz
TurtleShell
yeah, it gives me a good feeling to have an eat-in kitchen. It's a pretty small kitchen, but it fits the three of us. We also have a dining room that has become my partner's permanent craft project central. That table is basically only available for use at holidays and special occasions:)
abhizz
Small house! 2 bedroom and a store-room, kitchen
Josso
Live in a 17th century house - Fairly small/awkward house but enough space. It's weird it technically has like 5 levels. Reminds me of the weasley family house in harry potter.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
Live in a 17th century house - Fairly small/awkward house but enough space. It's weird it technically has like 5 levels. Reminds me of the weasley family house in harry potter.
Does this mean lots of stairs then? I always find those hazardous when electricity is not working and it is in the middle of the night. I have flash lights in all parts of my town house just in the eventuality that the power may go off at certain times.
TurtleShell
17th century house... Smile fun! I can't imagine the kind of maintenance a 17th century house requires. I have a 1950's house, well constructed and solid and all that, but it's only 60 years old and there's always something that needs fixing. Galvanized pipes need to be switched out now, ducts need to be replaced, ridge caps need to be fixed, blah blah. They say, they don't make em like they used to. And when they say it, they're usually referring to my house and how it's really sturdy and god that awesome 1950's construction. So, how about that 17th century construction? Is it awesome or just a huge hassle?
chasbeen
17th Crntury house?? You must live in Europe somewhere

I have owned or had mortgages on the following houses since 1983
3 bed semi
3 bed terrace
4 bed Bungalow
4 bed house
In Canada
4 bed cottage next to Lake
3 acre plot with
4800'sq ft house
England
4 bed detached house only 1450 square feet

After all them houses u know what you want!
BigGeek
My house is the perfect size for me too! 1400 sq. feet ranch house, with two bedrooms and two bathrooms and an office space, it also has a 1400 sq. foot unfinished basement that I may finish one day, but for now it is my workout area and storage. Also has a two car garage and a three car driveway, which I love because I have a full mechanics set of tools and air compressor grinders, drill press, vice, work benches and such.

Yard is only a half acre so it is easy to mow and maintain, we have a nice garden, and fenced in backyard for the dog.

I've owned larger homes and they were a lot of work to maintain, and the garages were the same tow car size. The only thing I might change is a bigger garage to work in, but for now it is the perfect size!!
Josso
deanhills wrote:
Josso wrote:
Does this mean lots of stairs then? I always find those hazardous when electricity is not working and it is in the middle of the night. I have flash lights in all parts of my town house just in the eventuality that the power may go off at certain times.

Luckily these days we have fairly reliable power. Lots of candles and led stuff kicking around though so it's all good even if it does go off. My bedroom/studio is in an attic and we built wooden stairs/ladder up to it. People always complain and fall down it but I've got it mastered. Can carry a full tray with both hands near vertical up them.

Quote:
I can't imagine the kind of maintenance a 17th century house requires.

Surprisingly little - it's well built. All the main support beams are original - some random bits of wood aren't. One thing is the fireplace is practically unuseable we had a sofa in it at one point.

There's a really nice house a few down which is 16th century - most likely you'd be screwed with planning permission if you wanted to do anything with the land as I'm guessing it's grade 1 listed. This house is grade 2 but surprisngly that doesn't mean it's untouchable. It's interesting living around such rich architectural history... the church of this town is something like a 14th century stone building, wooden church building since 11th century. The settlement itself is pre roman due to being market settlement for the icknield way.

Quote:
17th Crntury house?? You must live in Europe somewhere

England

Quote:
After all them houses u know what you want!

You must be a good haggler of estate agents
deanhills
Josso wrote:
People always complain and fall down it but I've got it mastered. Can carry a full tray with both hands near vertical up them.
Great. That means that burglars will have a tough time getting to your room. Makes it into a unique security system. Very Happy
Josso
deanhills wrote:
Josso wrote:
People always complain and fall down it but I've got it mastered. Can carry a full tray with both hands near vertical up them.
Great. That means that burglars will have a tough time getting to your room. Makes it into a unique security system. Very Happy

lol too right they are creaky as hell anyway. Doubt anyone could get up them without waking me up. It's *usually* not that kind of area most crime I'd say is either drug or pub related but I do have CCTV and weapons just in case.
deanhills
softonaseo15 wrote:
my hose have 5 rooms one hall, a kitchen, 2 washrooms and a lawn.
A very unique hose indeed. Very Happy

Josso wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Josso wrote:

lol too right they are creaky as hell anyway. Doubt anyone could get up them without waking me up. It's *usually* not that kind of area most crime I'd say is either drug or pub related but I do have CCTV and weapons just in case.

Haha! Laughing
tomiwoj
deanhills wrote:
I'm the same here Chasbeen. I have a two bedroom town house, a porch and car port and that is more than enough for me. I can't understand why people need very large places, unless they are very heavy entertainers or need to house business associates on a very regular basis.
TurtleShell
you know, if my house got any bigger, I'd spend the rest of my life cleaning...and it's not like it's very big to begin with. I don't need a ton of space:)
briankid
i dont fancy living inside sky scrapers lol, i like some thing simple like a four bedrooms bungalow or something simpler
Cosmoslayer
We only rent, I know we're poor. Razz
TheStripePrincess
I'm not sure how many square feet but my house has six bedrooms.
It sounds impressive but it isn't really because it's a student house and half of the bedrooms are like boxes and our kitchen and living room are pretty tiny.
Plus we only have one bathroom and one toilet which is pretty rubbish when you share with five others!
Oh well, can't complain when you're a student I suppose!
Navigator
I fit in it, so it fits my needs.
GuidanceReader
I have a 4 bedroom house. The rooms themselves are all perfect in size, as are the gardens (almost - we'd like a bigger outdoor shed but not enough room for one). We'd like more rooms, however - to house our hobbies. Once the kids grow up and move out, the house will be better for us (or too big). I wouldn't want to maintain a house much bigger.
lightningleo
Well my house is not very big.. Still.. Home sweet Home.. We've 3 big rooms, including bedroom.. A kitchen, bathroom, a small garden in the front..
mukesh
My house not big but have 4 bedrooms with attached bathroom 1 kitchen 2 big hall and a big playground (but playground attached with other quarters)
deanhills
mukesh wrote:
My house not big but have 4 bedrooms with attached bathroom 1 kitchen 2 big hall and a big playground (but playground attached with other quarters)
That sounds ENORMOUS to me. Does each bedroom come with an attached bathroom? Smile
orangbaik
I dont have a house, so I dont
lockwoodman
I live on a bush block - 4 acres - 2 bedroom mud brick house.
pauline5765
I don't have a house of my own, however I can go home to my mother, grandmother and father's house. My gradmother's house is the most decent one, and large enough.. as well as my father's...
chasbeen
Depending on your Status people tend to buy bigger and bigger houses but thats only because the perception is often that somehow that will make you happier.
Wouldn't it be great if we could educate the young?

People rush off and get really too big a mortgage when often it's a waste.

We downsized to the perfect sized property, located nicely we use every square inch and do not want for more (Mainly because it means more work!)
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
We downsized to the perfect sized property, located nicely we use every square inch and do not want for more (Mainly because it means more work!)
Good point. I had the perfect size apartment in Vancouver BC. The architect designed it to maximize space, making it look roomier but at the same time fitting in everything just right. I have three times the space here in a Town House in the UAE and I'd say it's the worst waste of space I've seen in a long while. Also a headache to keep clean because of all of the regular dust storms. This is just not the right climate or environment for town houses. My town house comes with a huge sun screen in the top floor, so imagine the cost in air conditioning in the summer. When I return from work at the end of the day it's like a baking oven upstairs. We have at least 8 months of hot summer a year.
ankitdatashn
My house is in the hearts of other people Smile
Josso
Rementioning 14th century stuff ontop of my earlier points...

Just wanted to mention I have a 14th century stone castle couple of miles down the road that my mates are going to urbex in a couple of days. Every time I've tried throughout my life it's not ended well lol so should be interesting. If theres still an urbex thread around somewhere I'll stick them in there (if they even get near to the thing).

On another note my attic studio is annoyingly hot atm. Sitting here at 1am with both windows fully open but it's like ahhh good temperature or moths
nigam
we are living in our parents house which my husband inherit it. the house is not that old but huge enough to have a garden in front and at the back...we usually clean the house everyday and it took 4 hours to finished it.
linux1993
House in chinese village is always big enough, mine is about 200 m2 .But the price is low .