FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any Scottish people in here?

Vanilla
Some weeks ago, my teacher asked me to pick up a guy in the airport. Since he (my teacher) is going to travel to Austria, he is relying on me to be at the airport when this guy arrives and to bring him to the hotel safely. I said no problem. I'm used to American researchers coming to Brazil and spending some time with us. I can deal with that.

But this guy is not American. He is Scottish and I know very little about Scotland. I mean whiskey, Highlander (yeah, that movie), kilts, tartans and bagpipes. You know, tourist stuff. I just don't want to look completely stupid around him. I know little about his research too (proteomics, sick stuff) but I'm already studying some papers. I'm just guessing he won't want to talk about his work all time...

So, is there any Scottish in here?
truespeed
You don't really need to know anything about Scotland i wouldn't of thought to have a conversation,all that stuff you mentioned is indeed just for tourists,but i guess you could mention some of it as an ice breaker.
Vanilla
truespeed wrote:
You don't really need to know anything about Scotland i wouldn't of thought to have a conversation,all that stuff you mentioned is indeed just for tourists,but i guess you could mention some of it as an ice breaker.

Oh, I'll definitely make some Highlander reference because the city where I'll bring him to is the Brazilian Highland. Bad joke and all. Very Happy
deanhills
I have a number of friends from Scotland and they do see a real difference with the UK, more so than the other way round, everything being much better organized from a Government point of view, etc. etc. Twisted Evil So one cardinal rule would be to always refer to them as being from Scotland and never the UK or England. The Scots also seemed to have had their share of really powerful figures in Government. Gordon Brown and Tony Blair I know were from Scotland. They're quite proud of that. I'd try and find out which city he is from and read a little up on it. The Scots I know are quite proud of their cities. I have friends from both Aberdeen and Glasgow.
watersoul
Quote:
So one cardinal rule would be to always refer to them as being from Scotland and never the UK or England.
Nah, slight error there. Never refer to a Scot, or for that matter a Welsh or Northern Irish person as English.
British however, or "from the UK" is perfectly acceptable unless the person who complains doesn't fully understand the political & legal framework of the UK.

Scots carry a British passport, Scottish borders are controlled by the UK Border Agency.
Scots pay their income tax to the UK government.
Scottish soldiers, sailors and aircrew fight under the Union flag in the British army, Royal Navy & RAF.
If a Scot is sick or disabled, or retired, their benefits and pensions are paid by the UK government.

Scotland is just a component part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland - it has not been an independent country since the 1707 Act of Union between England & Wales (Creating Great Britain), and the sovereign country which we all live in here has been formally known as the UK since 1801.

If he gets upset to be called British then tough really, as he's travelling with a British passport, not a Scottish one. I'm Welsh, born & raised in Wales, but living in England. I am British by internationally accepted definitions of nationality and so are English and Northern Irish people.
If the guy needs help in Brazil it will be the British embassy he gets it from, not a Scottish one Wink

I wouldn't worry about knowing anything about Scotland to talk about, I would imagine the guy will be so glad to be away from the rubbish weather and temperatures back home that he's gonna be more interested in learning about Brazil.
Good luck with the meeting, and I hope you all enjoy and learn a little from each other Smile
Vanilla
deanhills wrote:
I have a number of friends from Scotland and they do see a real difference with the UK, more so than the other way round, everything being much better organized from a Government point of view, etc. etc. Twisted Evil So one cardinal rule would be to always refer to them as being from Scotland and never the UK or England. The Scots also seemed to have had their share of really powerful figures in Government. Gordon Brown and Tony Blair I know were from Scotland. They're quite proud of that. I'd try and find out which city he is from and read a little up on it. The Scots I know are quite proud of their cities. I have friends from both Aberdeen and Glasgow.

Thank you Dean! He's from Glasgow (as far as I know). Very Happy

I didn't see you answer when I posted earlier, watersoul. Thank you! Very Happy

watersoul wrote:
Quote:
So one cardinal rule would be to always refer to them as being from Scotland and never the UK or England.
Nah, slight error there. Never refer to a Scot, or for that matter a Welsh or Northern Irish person as English.
British however, or "from the UK" is perfectly acceptable unless the person who complains doesn't fully understand the political & legal framework of the UK.

I'll keep that in mind. I know little about UK and what I know came from movies/TV series, so I don't think I can take what I know for granted...

watersoul wrote:
I wouldn't worry about knowing anything about Scotland to talk about, I would imagine the guy will be so glad to be away from the rubbish weather and temperatures back home that he's gonna be more interested in learning about Brazil.
Good luck with the meeting, and I hope you all enjoy and learn a little from each other Smile

Sure! I love being with people from different countries and I love to exchange knowledge. I think this is a great opportunity to get to know more about Scotland. Very Happy