FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Doing Ph.D

nivinjoy
Hi friends, this is just to bring into your notice that this is my post after a long time in Frihost forums.

The delay was mainly due to the reason that i was preparing myself with some ground works related to my Ph.D works. Now I have registered for my Ph.D and the screening procedure got over last week and finally i am selected and allowed to proceed with my work.

I had done my B.E in Mechanical Engineering and then M.E in Computer Aided Design. And i after my M.E degree i got recruited into as an Assistant Professor in the same University in which i studied. Now I am stepping into carrying out a research work in the field of my study [Mechanical Engineering].

I pray that everything should go on smoothly and well by God's grace so that by the end of four to five years I am able to accomplish my dream of being a Ph.D holder..

Please share your views in doing Ph.D in the field of Mechanical Engineering and any Ph.D holders in the stream may comment and advise me in this regard.
IceCreamTruck
Best of luck! I love mechanical engineering! Drafting, tooling, and predicting assembly -- the works. I don't have much training, but I grew up with a screw driver in my hand, and a want to build things. For a long time I was limited to grinding, cutting, or folding/bending metal, but I have since learned how to weld with my grandfather, who welded miles and miles on the ships in WWII, as my teacher. I haven't worked on any welding projects of my own so far, but I intend to fabricate things once I can get settled into a garage of some kind. Right now I do not have anything like a garage, so I've been debating using an easily accessible storage shed.

My ultimate interest is robots in space, or more rugged all terrain vehicles and specimen harvesters. I like the details of how they are getting robots into extreme environments, and what the physical makeup and functionality of the robots are according to their unique environments. I really like when things come together and tools that were built for single purpose can be multi tasked with adaptations and upgrades. NASA is investing money all over the place for anyone who can show progress in robotics. It's a prime time to build anything that walks, talks, or rolls in an exciting and useful new way.

I'm really big into computers and software as well, so I really can build many many different things, but I've wanted to focus more on a rolling chassis for tank treads. I've got some cool ideas to have an on board open source cell phone device controlling most of the functionality, but I can't really say much more than that without giving away my idea, and I'm not ready for that just yet. I don't even have a proof of concept model yet, and, of course, that model would only work on Earth or similar planets! Smile
Insanity
I've heard that if you want to do anything significant in a big company that does a lot of engineering, you'll need a Ph.D or a Masters degree. Anyone with a bachelor's is just going to be stuck doing a lot of grunt work that the higher ups don't want to do. I'd advise you go to grad school for a master's degree (or equivalent) if you want to do some interesting stuff. You will also learn a lot more. There's a lot to be said about grad school being a good investment in terms of learning more, opening up more connections, meeting new people, and having general more new experiences. As a Ph.D you'll get to do some research about things you find fascinating as well, so there's that. The only issue is the amount of time you will be devoting to it. You'll need to do a cost/benefit analysis to determine if the money you'll miss out on while doing your Ph.D is more or less than the extra amount of money you will be making as a result of your Ph.D. There's also the amount of time lost.
nivinjoy
Thank you so much for your motivation guys.

Yes really, the time factor is a major issue in doing research. The proposed time to complete something will be different and due to any commitments that we have, we wouldn't be able to do them sometimes. But I wish to complete it within the stipulated time frame as possible.

Hope and like to have all of yours prayers and any sort of guidance is solicited.
Ankhanu
Hard work, hard work, hard work. That's what'll get ya through. Not a happy warm feeling thought, but it's true. Graduate level academics is all sweat and perseverance. That and decent time management Razz

Time management is where I went wrong in my MSc; I completed it, but just under the wire, 'cause I wasted a lot of time. Don't get into a procrastination trap, they can be deadly!
nivinjoy
Ankhanu wrote:
Hard work, hard work, hard work. That's what'll get ya through. Not a happy warm feeling thought, but it's true. Graduate level academics is all sweat and perseverance. That and decent time management Razz

Time management is where I went wrong in my MSc; I completed it, but just under the wire, 'cause I wasted a lot of time. Don't get into a procrastination trap, they can be deadly!

Yeah i know. Handwork matters a lot and more importantly dedication too matters a lot.. Pray for me to have dedication and concentration in the area.
deanhills
What is the topic of your PhD Nivin?
nivinjoy
deanhills wrote:
What is the topic of your PhD Nivin?

As I mentioned earlier my main stream is Mechanical Engineering. And I am doing the research in the field of Machining of Materials..
accarimporters
all the best
biolu
I am currently doing a PhD in biomaterials, and the best advice I could give you is to read loads of books and papers about your subject. Then try to quickly write your first paper, maybe with a lower SCI journal. The more paper you will write (and of course if you have the experimental datas), the easier it will seems to you.
I might also be good to write a review, even if it is not published, you will have a good overview of the state-of-the-art in your domain.
Good luck anyway!
Insanity
I always have a lot of respect for those who choose to pursue a Ph.D because of how much time and dedication it takes to finish it and the passion it requires.
likeabreeze
Hard work is indeed very important,
but,
if you are interested enough in your major, everything will be smooth..
nivinjoy
Successfully completed 1 year of my course. One coursework subject is over. Now going to appear for 2 more coursework subjects next week. I plan to begin my Experimental work after the completion of coursework.

Pray for me for successful completion of coursework. And suggest me if there are any sites where i can access international journal papers for free.
bukaida
The formal procedures are ok but you have to have good publications in reputed journals ( impact factor not less than 1 and not a paid journal). Try to be the first author in the publication. Do not waste your time in publishing something which you cannot attach as a chapter in your thesis. An unofficial advice, always keep pressure on your guide otherwise it will lag. Do not take the motivation to bring revolution to the world by your work (many will not agree, but this is practical), simply increase the number of publications. Avoid conference publications as far as possible.

Now the benefits you can achieve after your phd are--

If you are in teaching, you will be able to go up to the level of professor (as per AICTE Norm), and believe me, a day is coming when people will not be accepted without PhD for teaching even in the field of engineering(like what happened now in general science and Arts).

Many companies recruit PhD holders in their R&D section ( example L &T in India) with handsome pay package. So either way, you will be secured.

However, if you are doing part-time PhD, it will be very difficult to complete it within 4-5 years. The typical time for part time PhD is 7-8 years.
abhinavm24
good to know.
best of luck.
btw what is your concentration for Phd.
Smile
zimmer
nivinjoy wrote:
Hi friends, this is just to bring into your notice that this is my post after a long time in Frihost forums.

The delay was mainly due to the reason that i was preparing myself with some ground works related to my Ph.D works. Now I have registered for my Ph.D and the screening procedure got over last week and finally i am selected and allowed to proceed with my work.

I had done my B.E in Mechanical Engineering and then M.E in Computer Aided Design. And i after my M.E degree i got recruited into as an Assistant Professor in the same University in which i studied. Now I am stepping into carrying out a research work in the field of my study [Mechanical Engineering].

I pray that everything should go on smoothly and well by God's grace so that by the end of four to five years I am able to accomplish my dream of being a Ph.D holder..

Please share your views in doing Ph.D in the field of Mechanical Engineering and any Ph.D holders in the stream may comment and advise me in this regard.

Wow!

That is a good chance. Prove you self. Post it here in 5 years if you are PhD.

Good luck! Wish you all the BEST!