FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Buying a banner ad in the index header with coins

truespeed
I notice the index header doesn't have any ads,why not allow users to purchase it as ad space in exchange for coins,i have a ,link in my sig but i get no traffic from frihost with it,i think the main factor in this is that only logged in users can see it,so link sigs don't bring traffic but a prominent banner ad would as guest traffic would also view it.

Maybe 350 coins for one weeks of advertising? Too much? Not enough?
cybersa
Good Idea it is.
But cost is very high. Sad
For that 350 coins i will buy a new domain. Wink
Chellesei
I agree with cybersa. Smile 350 coins for one week advertising is too high. Getting 350 coins is pretty tough so I also think that users would prefer using it for buying their own domains instead of having their website advertised for just a week.
Maybe it would be good for 350 coins if the span of advertising is longer. Or... at least lower the cost, I think.
truespeed
The reason why i chose 350 coins was because that is the price of a domain,which is around 10 dollars,and based on that,i think if i was charging ad space for the header in my forum i would want more than that per week,and frihost gets probably 4 times the amount of weekly traffic my forum gets so i think 350 coins (the price of a 10 dollar domain) is fair.
Ghost Rider103
I don't think 350 coins is too high for some advertisement, it's probably right on the money for a good advertisement price. If the advertisement is done right anyways.

However I do not think it should be right smack in the middle of the header. That would be extremely ugly and unattractive. I think instead the add could go in place of one of the current ads on Frihost, if not right underneath it. But we don't want to clutter with ads. We currently have a nice layout of ads, so nice in fact I forget they are even there. Quite often.

I think a better way to go would to be to improve the directory listing. Maybe scratch the directory and have a "showcase" so to speak, where you can pay a smaller amount of coins (say 100 coins or so) to have your logo be featured on this page with a short description and a link to your website. A total of 10 sites of so only, and the first people to submit their site for the week/month or whatever get the spots.
ocalhoun
Hm... I kinda do like this idea... it would sort of give a 'featured site' type thing, especially if you required the site linked to to be hosted on Frihost.

...And having a high cost in coins for it to be shown will make sure that any sites that show up on it will be active, high quality ones, since nobody's going to pay to put up an ad for an unfinished or dead site.

And, perhaps instead of a set cost, it could be buying random display slots.
Say, there are three people at a given time who want their ads up.
Person A bids 150 coins, person B bids 10 coins, and person C bids 1000 coins.

So, the total number of bids is 1160.
Person A's ad will show up in 150/1160 pageviews, or about 1 in 7.5
Person B's ad will show up in 10/1160 pageviews, or about 1 in 116
Person C's ad will show up in 1000/1160 pageviews, or about 1 in 1.16

(And at the end of each one's month-long bid period, their number of bids goes to 0 unless they bid more.)

I like that system, since it will keep the price of having your ad on the page closely related to supply and demand, and you can get a little bit of benefit from it even if you have very little coins... and you can get as much benefit as you're willing to pay for.

From a technical standpoint, this could be done through php and a small database table easily enough.
1- Gather all the data from the 'bids' column and sum them into one number.
2- Generate a random integer between 0 and the number from step 1.
3- Go through the database row by row, summing the 'bids' column one by one -- stop when this number becomes greater than the random number from step 2.
4- Display the ad content stored in the row that the algorithm stopped at in step 3.

And then just add a little bit to the already daily cron job, have it delete all rows in the ads table where 'date added' is more than 30 days in the past.
sonam
If I good understand ocalhoun calculation then one pageview cost one coin. I think this is too much for one pageview. 350 coins = new domain (approximately $10) whats mean 1coin = $0,03 (approximately). Round the Internet you can find CPV less then $0.005 but we can stop on $0.01 what is three times less then one coin.

With this calculation someone who pay 10 coins will need to get about 30 pageviews instead of 10. Confused

Of course, coins are not dollars and we can make a deal in any way.

Sonam
ocalhoun
sonam wrote:
If I good understand ocalhoun calculation then one pageview cost one coin.

No, there would be no direct conversion between page views and coins at all.

Your ad's chances of being seen would be proportional to how much you're paying compared to how much everyone else is paying.

If you bid 1 coin, and nobody else was running any ads, your one coin would buy you 100% of the page views.

But if you bid 1 coin, and other people (combined) bid 99 coins, your ad would only show up 1% of the time.

The absolute number of page views a coin buys would fluctuate with supply and demand.
sonam
ocalhoun wrote:
sonam wrote:
If I good understand ocalhoun calculation then one pageview cost one coin.

No, there would be no direct conversion between page views and coins at all.

Your ad's chances of being seen would be proportional to how much you're paying compared to how much everyone else is paying.

If you bid 1 coin, and nobody else was running any ads, your one coin would buy you 100% of the page views.

But if you bid 1 coin, and other people (combined) bid 99 coins, your ad would only show up 1% of the time.

The absolute number of page views a coin buys would fluctuate with supply and demand.

Ahh, sorry my English. Grrrr....
Your suggestion is very good. If we are implemented this bidding option is it possible to see how much are bidding from each member for upcoming month?

Sonam
truespeed
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I think a better way to go would to be to improve the directory listing. Maybe scratch the directory and have a "showcase"

But just like the directory it wouldn't get views,not many anyway i wouldn't of thought.

How about at the bottom of the forum,sample sites on the index,maybe 5 x 125x125 blocks going across the footer.
Ghost Rider103
It's not getting views because of the idea behind it.

I've never seen any real traffic improvement from ANY directory. Even paid ones. This is because no average person goes browsing a directory and it you happen to come across one by searching, chances are you will ignore it as it looks extremely spammy, and it basically is in my mind.

If we scrapped the whole "directory" tittle from everyone's mind and took a different approach I'm 90% sure users would go there and it would be more effective.

Ive got a lot of good ideas that can easily attract visitors, but it would take cooperation from Bondings, when he's ready to do something with the directory page I think he will make sure the staff is aware of an upcoming change, at which point it can be further discussed.

He's well aware the current directory has many outdated links and such.