FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Titanic II?

deanhills
Looks as though a very wealthy tycoon is investing in building Titanic II.

The plan, is for the vessel to be as similar as possible to the original Titanic in design and specifications, but with modern technology.

It will be built in China.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17890754
menino
China has the money to build it.
It still won't be as fast as a plane though, so I don't know why they would not invest in better flying technology for the masses.

I'm sure it will probably be used only as a cruise entertainment vessel, and obviously with wifi. Laughing
.... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
audiodevelop
Maybe the should shoot a sequel movie as well, "Titanic 2: The Comeback"

LOL Very Happy
deanhills
menino wrote:
It still won't be as fast as a plane though, so I don't know why they would not invest in better flying technology for the masses.

I'm sure it will probably be used only as a cruise entertainment vessel, and obviously with wifi. Laughing
True. This Ozzie Tycoon probably has a fantasy about the Titanic along the lines of wanting to prove that it was indeed indestructible as it was. The whole sinking was an enormous freak accident.
cnitolo
Titanic II, only in China!
fuzzkaizer
And this time they'll crush the bloody iceberg to pieces Very Happy , yes give it another try!
busaboss
This idea is great! I want to see how that greatest ship looks like and this project would make that possible for people who didn't had the opportunity before. Nice! Smile
catalina_udara
Leonardo will come back ??? ... he survived Smile))) ... great idea
ocalhoun
Good luck getting passengers (or crew!) for the maiden voyage! ^.^ *

For any voyage for that matter (there are bigger, better, and probably cheaper cruise ships out there, after all)... Though I guess if you emphasized the historical connections, especially the interior design, you could draw a crowd who wanted to take a cruise on a ship just like the original Titanic.
It would be pretty neat to see the inside of the ship if they held as closely as possible to the vintage design.
Heck, the most profitable way I see to use such a ship would be as a floating museum -- acquire as many items as possible that were recovered from the original Titanic, and put them on display inside, right alongside the best replicas that can be made today of the same items, still in use.

Take it on occasional cruises booking passengers who are really into the history of it, or just want an interesting experience, but have it spend most of it's time in port, like a mobile museum exhibit, drawing a crowd from each city it stops in, and then moving on when the people in that city get bored with it.

(And just for the sake of not tempting fate, I would tend to keep it in equatorial latitudes as much as possible, especially for the first few voyages.
Oh, and I hope that when he says 'as close as possible to the original specifications', that he does intend to rectify the lifeboat shortage!)

*Yeah, I know it's completely irrational... but if I were going on that maiden voyage of the Titanic II... one of my suitcases would contain a self-inflating raft and stranded-at-sea survival gear!
mukesh
lol that is greats news
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

*Yeah, I know it's completely irrational... but if I were going on that maiden voyage of the Titanic II... one of my suitcases would contain a self-inflating raft and stranded-at-sea survival gear!
Haha! Laughing I'd probably not be able to afford it, but if I were given free passage, I'd be OK with it. For the very reason that every one would be nervous about it and all kinds of safety features would be added that had not been in place with Titanic I. That's the exact opposite attitude of Titanic I which was assumed to be completely indestructible right to the point of skimping on the safety rafts. Sort of challenging the gods. Now that we've been humbled and lessons have been learned, I guess a million and one precautions will be taken.
yeu1nguoitk
Titanic II, only in China!
Haha.
albiemer
menino wrote:

I don't Think so
albiemer
deanhills wrote:
menino wrote:

True. This Ozzie Tycoon probably has a fantasy about the Titanic along the lines of wanting to prove that it was indeed indestructible as it was. The whole sinking was an enormous freak accident.

"maybe"
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
The whole sinking was an enormous freak accident.

Well the bad thing is that it is being made in China, things that we have here in America that is made in China tends to be poorly made. So yeah, if they want it to be "in-destructive" they better make it stronger than they make their other products.
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
they better make it stronger than they make their other products.
Very true. Would be interesting if they used international engineers to build it however. They may realize their limitations in building since it would be important for it to be successful in order to make real money with it.
SonLight
Apparently they plan to cruise (I almost wrote "sail") the Titanic II from London to the US, around 2016, so they are tempting fate a little bit. I hope it has radar or something that can detect icebergs in its path. I would bet they will have doubled watches posted when in iceberg-prone waters.

Since the ship is being built in China, it will probably have at least 6000 miles on it before it reaches London. In fact, I'm wondering what path it will take to get there. I would think they would go around to the Indian Ocean and through the Suez canal. Will it fit, or will they have to go around the horn or Africa? I imagine they would take some passengers on the initial trip, but probably complete final fittings in London and the trip to New York would be the "Grand Opening", if not exactly the maiden voyage.
milkshake01
I think that it is normal for many people to be superstitious about the Titanic II
zaxacongrejo
lol just commented a post about titanic now is the time to build massive ships cruisers tanks never minds, now we have technologies for ,communications, and we now care with security since the disaster of titanic we learned a lot, so my guess is now is the perfect time,
by the way who owns titanic 2?
JasonNewman
The thing with china is they're actually good at making good-quality things. Along with that, they are also very good at making poor-quality but extreamly cheap things. If they're building an actual titanic 2, I'm sure that they would actually do a good job with quality, because it would just be bad luck not to. It would just hit another ice burg.
deanhills
JasonNewman wrote:
If they're building an actual titanic 2, I'm sure that they would actually do a good job with quality, because it would just be bad luck not to. It would just hit another ice burg.
Makes great sense. Well said! Cool
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
The thing with china is they're actually good at making good-quality things. Along with that, they are also very good at making poor-quality but extreamly cheap things. If they're building an actual titanic 2, I'm sure that they would actually do a good job with quality, because it would just be bad luck not to. It would just hit another ice burg.

Wrong
Multinational company’s working at china employing Chinese’s
Quote:
actually good at making good-quality things

Not Chinese company’s by themselves, in the future in more let’s say 15 years maybe now i doubt
Maybe in this topic you may want to refer to South Korea
ekasaputra23
oh god did titanic awake for death? Very Happy
for season 2 maybe the euphoira doesnt like they first series
ekasaputra23
titanic became a transformer :v
LOLL
testsoc
Oh dear.
dude_xyx
They will be probably fine if they don't carry a mummy in maiden voyage plus take enough life rafts and life jackets. These days passenger ship having a disaster is something with nearly zero possibility. I mean a tragedy in that Titanic scale.
ocalhoun
dude_xyx wrote:
These days passenger ship having a disaster is something with nearly zero possibility.

Oh lawd...

I seem to recall the previous Titanic being remarked upon as having zero possibility of sinking...

For some reason, saying that a disastrous outcome is impossible would make me even more nervous about taking a trip on the Titanic II.
IndieCthulhu
Y'know... as a child when i first watched Titanic I wanted to become and inventor and rebuild the Titanic myself... it was my dream as a kid... i didn't want to be a firefighter, i wanted to be a Inventor rebuilding an unsinkable Titanic.
kaysch
Famous last words: blub, blub, blub.
Bluedoll
Wonder what the cruise industry will be like when they get the ship built? Will it be a high end elite craft only for the rich? I wonder who will be the first people to travel on her and if everyone will have a chance to buy a ticket? Maybe a ticket could be won in a friendly game of poker. Smile
apinchofspain
Hi

There are much bigger ships:
Prelude FLNG, 488m, FLNG
Seawise Giant, 456m, Oil Tanker
Allure of The Seas, 362m, Passengers Cruise.
Titanic only 269m
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world's_longest_ships
kaysch
I don't understand all this hype.

If I remember correctly from all the books and the films there was a terrible management on board the vessel, tickets were overpriced and there was a deadly lack of safety regulations, based on arrogance and belief in technical superiority over nature.

Plus it was apparently bloody cold in the Atlantic.

So why would anybody just enjoy a trip on a ship which is famous for having sunk in the ocean?

Ah well, to all those people who want a ride on the Titanic II: I hope they will get the full experience of the passengers of Titanic I - which has been documented all too well I believe. And may the band continue to play until their very end...