FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

This has completely floored me ....

deanhills
Just picked up on this news in Yahoo! The news article seems to have been removed from Yahoo (for good reason maybe?) but does seem to be alive on the Web. Totally floored me:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/26/egyptian-women-fight-proposed-farewell-sex-laws

Does any one know more about this? Is it really true?
Vanilla
I'm speechless. Woa. They must be kidding, because this is just ridiculous. I thought that laws concerning this issue were somewhat general in the whole world, something like "YUCK, NO!". The weirdest thing is that when you search for "farewell sex" you got a lot of results. It's just I can't believe that in 2012 women are still treated like this. Sad
Bondings
@Vanilla, I don't actually see the problem with this. If I'm dead, my family/wife should be able to do whatever they wish with my body. In my opinion all your rights/properties die with you. Farewell sex may be very gross to me and others, but it really harms no one and if the husband/wife wants to do it, why not? And yes equally a wife should be able to do it to with her dead husband.

However I think I read somewhere that this was just a hoax (or misinterpretation) that got into newspapers pretty much everywhere.
loremar
I saw this in the news.

I don't know what to say about this issue besides Necrophilia is so gross.

While it makes no sense to have concern for your body after your death, should corpses even have any legal rights to refuse?

Could it be possible through some last will and testament? After all, his/her body is also his/her possession. Maybe she can declare that her body should be dispose right away or cremated or waive other people's right to claim possession of her body.
Vanilla
Bondings wrote:
@Vanilla, I don't actually see the problem with this. If I'm dead, my family/wife should be able to do whatever they wish with my body. In my opinion all your rights/properties die with you. Farewell sex may be very gross to me and others, but it really harms no one and if the husband/wife wants to do it, why not? And yes equally a wife should be able to do it to with her dead husband.

You see, it's kinda hard to have sex with a dead man. Very Happy

Here we have a big problem with lack of organ donors and some people really don't want to donate, that's why you have to state that you aren't a donor in your documents before you die. I'm a donor, so I don't need to worry about that. Suddenly "over my dead body" makes a whole different sense. This is not like donating my organs. This is not like donating my body to science... It's just gross.

Bondings wrote:
However I think I read somewhere that this was just a hoax (or misinterpretation) that got into newspapers pretty much everywhere.

I hope so. Razz
menino
This is totally disgusting.
I do not know why people have to be so desperate for sex, even after death.
What is the world coming to? Shocked
Bondings
@vanilla, some things become hard after you die, so yes I think it's possible.

I agree that it should not interfere with organ donation. By the way it's the same law in Belgium. Although organ donation is rarely possible if you die with natural causes and not a traffic accident or so.
deanhills
Vanilla wrote:
It's just gross.
My reaction exactly. I'd sort of got used to the idea that it is against the law as well.
Bikerman
I'm with Bondings - if my wife wanted my body after I died (not that she would) she would be welcome to it for whatever purpose.

Having said that, a contact at Snopes sent me the following:
Quote:
Today, Egypt's state-owned Al Ahram newspaper published an opinion piece by Amr Abdul Samea, a past stalwart supporter of the deposed Hosni Mubarak, that contained a bombshell: Egypt's parliament is considering passing a law that would allow husbands to have sex with their wives after death.

It was soon mentioned in an English language version of Al-Arabiya and immediately started zipping around social-networking sites. By this afternoon it had set news sites and the rest of the Internet on fire. It has every thing: The yuck factor, "those creepy Muslims" factor, the lulz factor for those with a sick sense of humor. The non-fact-checked Daily Mail picked it up and reported it as fact. Then Andrew Sullivan, who has a highly influential blog but is frequently lax about fact-checking, gave it a boost with an uncritical take. The Huffington Post went there, too.

Serves them right for lazy journalism and lack of fact checking....

For those outside the UK - the Daily Mail is a scumbag tabloid read by right-wing housewives with more free time than braincells.
On a typical day the headlines will be a variation on:
Immigrants taking our jobs
England vs Germany Football - Krauts Out.
Single Mothers implicated in plot to kill Pope
NHS wasted 20p on unused syringe
Princess Diana Seen it Italy - It was the Mail that Raised-er....

The Daily Mail also boasts the journalist I despite more than any other in the UK - Melanie Phillips (may she rot in pain before she dies).
silverdown
That is just weird and creepy...
Iceaxe0410
Well, as shocking as I may find it, I am not surprised there are laws like that. It sounds more like an old world religious or cultural thing rooted in tradition. The fact that it may still be practiced is quite appalling. Then again, that's my personal opinion. I know not how the culture or society in Egypt actually feels about the laws. There may very well be a large number that support it.
mgeek
Marriage ends in death, so there should be no questions about having farewell sex with a corpse, even if it were your husband.