FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unbelievable 41 MP Phone

lightningleo
Unbelievable Nokia is Going to launch Nokia PureView 808 which is of 41 MegaPixels!!!!!!

Here's Nokia 808 PureView Hands-On Video:::::::::

loyal
More megapixels doesn't mean better images. Apparently it's a gimmick. Here's a random article I googled with some more info, though it is a bit technical: http://www.dansdata.com/gz059.htm
Ankhanu
Anything above 5MPx in a sensor the size of a phone's CCD is a terrible idea; anything beyond 6-9 on a standard point-n-shoot camera is likewise a poor idea.

Unless the actual sensor size is increased, dividing it into smaller and smaller units to drive up the megapixel count is going to result in more artifacts and noise in the picture... but I suppose those artifacts will be super sharp and hi-rez!!
johans
the more megapixel the better the capture and the good the resolutions
junewright
How can a mobile phone have a 41 mp camera? or am i mising something?
Gregoric
@up:
It's possible, even if seems ridiculous or unbelieveable.

My mobile phone which I use to almost everything (even this post is being written on it) is pretty old. It's been put into shops in 2004/5. However, the 3.2Mpix camera is pretty enough for everyday needs like taking photo of a poster or some long list which I can't scan/copy. Any text of size A2 is readable.

Of course, I can't take any professional pictures. But who will do so with any phone camera? Even if it has 41Mp, the result will be the same as even cheap digital camera with about 8-10Mp.

In conclusion, 41Mp phone is totally pointless. If I want to copy some data quickly or just use it everyday - 5Mp (or less) is enough. If I am gonna take serious photos, I will buy camera.

I know, they want to attract thoughtless people. But even 20Mp would be enough to do that.
Ankhanu
Gregoric wrote:
@up:
It's possible, even if seems ridiculous or unbelieveable.

My mobile phone which I use to almost everything (even this post is being written on it) is pretty old. It's been put into shops in 2004/5. However, the 3.2Mpix camera is pretty enough for everyday needs like taking photo of a poster or some long list which I can't scan/copy. Any text of size A2 is readable.

Of course, I can't take any professional pictures. But who will do so with any phone camera? Even if it has 41Mp, the result will be the same as even cheap digital camera with about 8-10Mp.

In conclusion, 41Mp phone is totally pointless. If I want to copy some data quickly or just use it everyday - 5Mp (or less) is enough. If I am gonna take serious photos, I will buy camera.

I know, they want to attract thoughtless people. But even 20Mp would be enough to do that.

I've actually seen some pretty incredible iPhone 4 and 4S pro quality shots by photographer Scott Bourne; they're fairly capable cameras, if somewhat limited. Given the right conditions they can provide solid results.

That said, as I mentioned earlier, high megapixel counts on small CCDs is actually a major problem, not a good feature. As you increase the number of pixels, you introduce artifacts and errors in the image... Yes, the image will be very large, but, it will be full of all kinds of grainy erroneous colours, etc. Hi-res image full of imperfections.
mahirh
Apparently, since the sensor is large, grain might not be a big problem
Ankhanu
mahirh wrote:
Apparently, since the sensor is large, grain might not be a big problem

It would have to be larger than a Full-Frame DSLR's CCD in that case, really. Even if you look at new cameras like the new Nikon D800, which has a 36.3Mpx sensor, there are a lot of concerns about image quality and noise; it's saving grace is an extremely advanced image processor, reducing the artifacts and noise from the images. Even on a full sized camera like that, 41MPx would generate an AWEFUL image... let alone on a smaller sensor (which even a really big phone sensor would be).

That's not even getting into concerns of the light path and optic quality of a camera phone being somewhat small and poor.

There's a reason why the high-end professional grade DSLR cameras have modest megapixel counts; professionals understand that high megapixels results in reduced image quality, and they're not willing to sacrifice quality for a sales pitch.
johans
well, the higher the resolution the better the capture..
Ankhanu
johans wrote:
well, the higher the resolution the better the capture..

You're not reading the replies, are you?
william
I posted this in another thread, but while I see the 41 megapixels as a marketing ploy, it does take some pretty amazing photos. See here. There is visible noise if one zooms in all the way, which is to be expected, but when viewed on a normal sized screen, it's not very noticeable. Perhaps it would have been better with fewer megapixels, but if the megapixel count is ignored and the aspects that matter are given importance, one can see that it does rival good point and shoot cameras.

Oh right, I just remembered, but the processing technology might actually prove to counter the high megapixel count. Apparently the default settings output 5 megapixel images by capturing seven pixels and making them into a "perfect pixel". That obviously lowers the resolution by a factor of seven, but it should result in significant drops in noise levels.