FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Market for bad hard drives

Tony The Tiger
I see a lot of things for sale on eBay in non-working condition. Is there a market for 120GB and 160GB hard drives that are not working. They are just sitting here and I should either dump them on eBay or dump them in the trash. Which should I do?
SonLight
In my opinion, broken hard drives should have little value beyond recycling the materials. The manufacturers appear to prefer to build new ones from scratch rather than reuse components, and no one else would likely have the clean room technology together with an interest and manufacturing capability to resurface a bad drive.

I am far from an expert in this area however. It is conceivable that some of the controller electronics or whatever could be re-used, and manufacturers might make new sealed drives without electronics available to resellers, in which case rebuilt or locally-branded drives might be marketable.
Mr_Howl
Make sure to clean your hard drives before selling them or throwing them away (that is, if you can). Deleting data is not enough; you have to "scrub" the disk, or destroy it.

If there is a market for broken hard drives, it could be for parts (motor) or scrap, which means you probably can't get much. Or, it could be they hope to find sellers who did not clean the drive and also happened to leave credit card information or bank credentials in their files...
Tony The Tiger
Mr_Howl wrote:
Make sure to clean your hard drives before selling them or throwing them away (that is, if you can). Deleting data is not enough; you have to "scrub" the disk, or destroy it.

If there is a market for broken hard drives, it could be for parts (motor) or scrap, which means you probably can't get much. Or, it could be they hope to find sellers who did not clean the drive and also happened to leave credit card information or bank credentials in their files...

If it were working I would reformat it an use it. It is broken, which is why I am selling it. Not sure how to scrub such a drive.
william
If you dump those hard drives on eBay, you won't make much more than a few dollars because all most people want from them is to salvage parts (like the controller, which could be used to repair an identical hard drive). If you include eBay and Paypal fees, I don't feel it's worth the effort. Plus, if you do still have data on them, there is always the risk of someone accessing it. You would have to use a magnet to clear everything properly (a reformat doesn't necessarily mean your files can't be accessed). Honestly, I would just scrap the hard drives.
Ultrak1ll
Lol did you know that its possible to build a laser projector of an old hard drive. Pretty sick stuff on the web. Bad that i threw my broken hdd away.

Lol also put on a sandpeper on ur hard disk and sharpen a knife with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk0Bc1kBZJo&feature=related

Or make a gramaphone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYu1NPxGMc&feature=related
william
Ultrak1ll wrote:
Lol also put on a sandpeper on ur hard disk and sharpen a knife with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk0Bc1kBZJo&feature=related

I knew you could use the motor and the platters of a hard drive for some fun stuff (7200 RPM is a force to be reckoned with Laughing ) but I had never thought about making a disc sander. That's absolutely brilliant! To think that the motor has the torque to pull that off. Shocked

Oh actually, now that I think about it, you can make great use of the magnets as well. They are very powerful, enough to painfully pinch you, and often need to be slid off instead of pulled off.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go look for an old hard drive now. Razz
Mr_Howl
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Mr_Howl wrote:

If it were working I would reformat it an use it. It is broken, which is why I am selling it. Not sure how to scrub such a drive.

Perhaps you should destroy it then. If the person wants it for scrap metal, they'd still be able to get it, but they wouldn't be able to also get your data.

Not sure what the best way to do so is, though. Maybe drive a nail through it and pass it under a Degaussing ring? The laser and controller should remain intact, if someone wanted those.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
You would have to use a magnet to clear everything properly

How do I find the right type of magnet. The only magnet in my house is on my BodyGlove iPod case. Obviously, that is not the right type of magnet.
SonLight
I used to degauss audio tapes (the old reel-to-reel ones) with an electromagnetic coil. It had a round, flat surface on top almost a foot in diameter. I believe you would need something similar, and I doubt that a plain magnet of any kind would do the trick, unless it were moved rapidly above the disk.

In practice, once a disk is broken it is unlikely that anyone would recover any data from it. If you had the resources of the CIA then probably you could. To eliminate any possibility, you could physically separate the magnetic disk surface from the drive, and either keep that (It would be worthless in any case) or try to degauss it. I would think heating it with an acetylene torch would do the job quite reliably, and might or might not destroy it physically in the process.
Tony The Tiger
SonLight wrote:
I used to degauss audio tapes (the old reel-to-reel ones) with an electromagnetic coil....

In practice, once a disk is broken it is unlikely that anyone would recover any data from it. If you had the resources of the CIA then probably you could...

How difficult is it for a normal citizen to find equipment capable of performing degaussing operations? By the way, if the CIA wants information about me, then they would not be waiting for me to dump defective hard drives on eBay. I am sure they know everything about me that they would want to and could find on my computer.

Actually, only one of the two defective hard drives has any content on it. When my computer went haywire it screwed up my old hard drive when I tried to reformat it. Then it screwed up the replacement hard drive. After this, I realized that there was a computer issue and not a drive issue.