FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Six impossible things!

IceCreamTruck
OK, so I believe it's Alice in Wonderland that contains the phrase "I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast" and I generally like the idea as a concept on thinking imaginatively, or practicing the concept of trying to become more imaginative or creative.

I've decided to try this for a month, and see how it goes. I'm going to attempt to imagine six impossible things before breakfast. I like the idea of doing it before I eat in the morning, when perhaps my brain is less well fed, and thus create an atmosphere of temporary hardship to exercise whereas the rest of my day I'll be able to consume anything I like, even things that will promote mental clarity, memory, or other brain functions.

I'm going to have to hang a sign up so I remember, because mornings are not my strong suite. I'm going to try to do this every day for a month, and I will attempt to perform this exercise here for your enjoyment.

I usually hate putting things off until tomorrow, but since one of the parameters of the experiment is to do this at the start of my day, then doing it now would not fit in with the rest of the control group that I am going to try to create.

Current status of how I feel: I feel nice. I ate at taco bell fire sauce a little while ago, so my stomach isn't all that happy with me right now, but I can't complain since it's self inflicted. Thinking about imagining things that are not real made my mind wonder down to that old familiar blank playground where our mind puts of images and animations, but I was having trouble focusing on creating anything at the moment as reality is grabbing my attention right now, causing the blank canvas of my mind to appear transparent instead of a black, white, red or other color space in my mind. I could feel the tickle of excitement that this creativity brings, like a pilot gently stroking the throttle of an airplane grounded on the tarmac, knowing full well that I would have to completely immerse myself and do a full flight check before I could actually go anywhere.

So, I hope this creates a good starting test point. We'll see how things go tomorrow.
IceCreamTruck
Haha, so I did forget to write down six impossible things this morning. Maybe starting on a saturday is not a good idea. Still, I intend to support this idea.

Today is a good day, and I feel good and positive. I have been thinking about my web projects, and how best to apply my time, but I have also taken a break from "doing" much of anything important, I've picked back up in my favorite video game which I can now play side by side with my roommate and I'm having a good, positive, weekend. Later this week I'm excited to work on a new project online and I've got some good ideas because I'll be working with things I enjoy.

Well, my morning wasn't without creation. I dreamed up a cat character, staring my cat, and a mouse character named spark that save the world from rats. I did imagine that the rats go a hold of computer technology and were trying to use that to increase their numbers to massive proportions, but Doctor Beverly Crusher (yes, her dad is a tech nerd) and spark use computers to fight back. There are lots of other great parts of the story that I won't share, but I was considering writing a short story on it to see if a novel is possible.
briankid
six impossible things
1. immortality
2. see GOD visually
and .................. maybe i will continue another day
mazito
1.- IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY BROKEN BONE YOU CANT BITE YOUR ELBOW
Dennise
Six impossible things? ................

1. Create energy
2. Destroy energy
3. An object continuously orbiting Earth at an altitude of one foot.
4. Remain alive after being completely under water with no external air support for more than one hour
5. True perpetual motion

and finally #6, a pig that can fly Wink
Bluedoll
Absolute zero
Stop motion
Make something from nothing
Measure a void
Find an end
Pause time

Everything else but it doesn't apply to science.
ocalhoun
Bluedoll wrote:

Pause time

What if time gets paused very frequently, but we just don't notice it since (obviously) we can't notice anything while time is paused -- we don't have time to.

No, just pausing time wouldn't be very impressive at all... the real trick would be pausing time except for a small area, so you could sit within a bubble of normally-flowing time and watch the rest be paused around you.
Afaceinthematrix
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Current status of how I feel: I feel nice. I ate at taco bell fire sauce a little while ago, so my stomach isn't all that happy with me right now, but I can't complain since it's self inflicted.

LoL! This is a little off topic but I find that hilarious because I am from Southern California - near the Mexican border - and so we have real Mexican food restaurants (not that American crap like Taco Bell) on every street that have hot sauce that is legitimately hot. I would take the Taco Bell fire sauce, squeeze a bunch of them into a cup, and drink it all at once and it probably still would not be even remotely hot. However, I also eat habanero chilis by themselves. I guess that there were benefits to growing up in this town! Mexican food is the one, and only, food that I miss and that I haven't truly gotten to eat in a long time (since becoming a vegetarian). I can have the rice, beans, guacamole, hot sauce, tortillas, etc. - but no carne asada.
kelseymh
I missed this the first time around! Sorry for the long delay in followup...

Bluedoll wrote:
Absolute zero

Probably impossible, but we can jump the gap Smile

Quote:
Stop motion

Almost, but not quite, redundant with the first. An object in its quantum ground state is as close to stopped motion as we can get, but zitterbewegung is inescapable.

Quote:
Make something from nothing

Been there, done that Smile

Quote:
Measure a void

Been there, done that

Quote:
Find an end

Sorry. What? Every time I cut a piece of string I can find two ends.

Quote:
Pause time

For that, you need a sonic screwdriver.
_AVG_
Oh I like this topic. Here are my six impossible things according to science and what we know today:

1. Massive objects go faster than light
2. The entropy of the universe decreases
3. Like electrical charges attract each other
4. Linear momentum is not conserved
5. The speed of light varies
And finally ...
6. God creates the universe
Josso
Surely any object over the speed of light
Bikerman
Depends on how you define 'object'. Nothing with mass (massive) can travel AT the speed of light.
truespeed
Isn't the universe expanding at a faster rate than the speed of light?
Bikerman
truespeed wrote:

Again it depends what you mean exactly.
Some objects within the universe are receding from each other faster than c - yes for sure. It is spacetime itself that is 'stretching' however, not the galaxies that are moving > c. Relativity says that nothing can move through spacetime > c but it doesn't say that spacetime itself cannot 'expand' at a rate which would produce apparent movements > c....

If this is hard to visualise think of an elastic band stretched between your hands. Imagine a mark at every cm. Now stretch. Every mark moves away from every other mark and the further the distance between marks, the faster they move apart - but in reality it is the band stretching, not the marks rushing apart....might help....
kelseymh
truespeed wrote:

Nope. The universe is expanding at an extremely slow rate, in most astronomical terms. The current best value for the Hubble "constant" H0, which is the expansion rate as we measure it today, is about 72 km/s per megaparsec.

That means, two galaxies separated by one megaparsec (3.26 million light years, about 25% farther away than the Andromeda Galaxy) would be pulled apart at 72 km/s. For comparison, the orbital speed of the Earth around the Sun is 30 km/s, and the speed of the Sun around the Galactic center is 200 km/s.

Notice the units of H0: 72 km/s per megaparsec. The recession velocity increases linearly with distance. This is the same as Bikerman's analogy of stretching a rubber band, or the popular comparison to a balloon inflating. Points farther apart appear to separate faster than points close together.

Two galaxies (or clusters) separated by one gigaparsec would be separating at 72,000 km/s, or about 24% of the speed of light. How far apart would two points have to be for the expansion to make them seem to be separating at c?

The answer is, clearly, 4.164 gigaparsecs (299792/72 megaparsecs), or 13.6 billion light years. That distance is called the "Hubble distance". Any galaxy which is farther away from us than that right now would be invisible to us, as light from it will be redshifted to zero before it gets to us.
Bikerman
Mike,
we can use a bit of lateral thinking though, can't we?
For example, the link below goes to a 'calculator' which allows a redshift calculation. Now, if we enter a CURRENT redshift of > 1.4, that would indicate that the object producing the shift would CURRENTLY be moving away from us >c (I think, if I've understood this correctly, since the calc gives > 4.2 Mega parsecs for that shift).
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CosmoCalc.html
kelseymh
Bikerman wrote:
Mike,
we can use a bit of lateral thinking though, can't we?
For example, the link below goes to a 'calculator' which allows a redshift calculation. Now, if we enter a CURRENT redshift of > 1.4, that would indicate that the object producing the shift would CURRENTLY be moving away from us >c (I think, if I've understood this correctly, since the calc gives > 4.2 Mega parsecs for that shift).
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CosmoCalc.html

Yes, that is correct, and what it indicates is a breakdown of the model used to convert redshift to velocity. There's a nice discussion of this in Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_redshift#Redshift_velocity_and_recessional_velocity. The basic statement is that the linear relationship is only valid for redshifts (z) near zero. Once you get into the nonlinear regime (z >~ 1) you have to use some particular model to convert redshift into velocity.
LxGoodies
Quote:
six impossible things

Before coffee ?? wow

what about

- compute the square root of -1
- compute the square root of -2
- compute the square root of -3
- compute the square root of -4
- compute the square root of -5
- compute the square root of -6

On the next day try

- divide 6 by 0
- divide 5 by 0
- divide 4 by 0
- divide 3 by 0
- divide 2 by 0
- divide 1 by 0

On the third day get creative,

- Arrange a meeting with Caesar
- Arrange a meeting with Mao Zedong
- Arrange a meeting with Napoleon
- Arrange a meeting with Che Guevara
- Arrange a meeting with Elvis
- Arrange a meeting with (any other dead person)

On the fourth day euuhm Rolling Eyes dunno

Laughing Laughing
Lx
_AVG_
Laughing that's hilarious. If you're lazy, here's something you can do all your life:

1. Divide 1 by 0
2. Divide 2 by 0
3. Divide 3 by 0
4. Divide 4 by 0
5. Divide 5 by 0
6. Divide 6 by 0

On the first day.

1. Divide 6n-5 by 0
2. Divide 6n-4 by 0
3. Divide 6n-3 by 0
4. Divide 6n-2 by 0
5. Divide 6n-1 by 0
6. Divide 6n by 0

On the nth day.

One could do the same for the square roots of 5-6n, 4-6n, 3-6n, 2-6n, 1-6n, -6n etc.
Very Happy
Bikerman
Dennise wrote:
Six impossible things? ................

1. Create energy
2. Destroy energy
3. An object continuously orbiting Earth at an altitude of one foot.
4. Remain alive after being completely under water with no external air support for more than one hour
5. True perpetual motion

and finally #6, a pig that can fly Wink

1&2 are routine - virtual-pair production is ubiquitous. You can create matter (energy) provided the timescale is sufficiently small - apparently it takes nature a while to notice that someone has nicked some energy and if they pay it back before nature notices then it all seems to muddle along....
Number 4 is also probably achieved : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_B%C3%A5genholm