FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

House Passes CISPA

Mr_Howl
Vote break down by state and party.

And here I was thinking Republicans were in favor of small government.

Hopefully the Senate has more sense.

Obama has threatened a veto, but he also said he would veto the NDAA, and he's been doing some other "pro-1984" stuff lately, IIRC. So that's really no reassurance at all.[/url]
handfleisch
Mr_Howl wrote:
Vote break down by state and party.

And here I was thinking Republicans were in favor of small government.

Hopefully the Senate has more sense.

Obama has threatened a veto, but he also said he would veto the NDAA, and he's been doing some other "pro-1984" stuff lately, IIRC. So that's really no reassurance at all.[/url]
Hopefully, yes, on the House or the Veto.
coolclay
I just read a brief overview of it, and don't see much I disagree with. I am all for smaller government, but I think criminals should be caught and punished and it seems to me this legislature does little more than help stop cybercrime.

I feel like the web is currently like the state of the wild wild west was at one point in our history. It's a frontier land where vigilante justice is about the only kind of justice!

So what exactly do you all disagree with and why?
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:

I feel like the web is currently like the state of the wild wild west was at one point in our history. It's a frontier land where vigilante justice is about the only kind of justice!

I'm okay with this.
Cyber security should be the individual responsibility of people and organizations that use the internet... not the responsibility of the government.
--Provide your own security.
Quote:

So what exactly do you all disagree with and why?

Insufficient safeguards against the misuse of collected information.
Mr_Howl
coolclay wrote:
I just read a brief overview of it, and don't see much I disagree with. I am all for smaller government, but I think criminals should be caught and punished and it seems to me this legislature does little more than help stop cybercrime.

Bills aren't written for you to disagree with them. They always sound good--"Save the children" and all that.

Remember--Big Brother only watches so that he can protect you.

Anyway, here's an infographic.
deanhills
Mr_Howl wrote:
Remember--Big Brother only watches so that he can protect you.
I'm a little cynical about this. For me quite a bit of legislation is pushed through so that those who do it can earn their keep after having been elected through support of heavy duty large corporations. I pat your back, you pat my back. This "in the interest of public safety" is a very nice tool for pushing legislation through that is there to serve the legislation's sponsors more than the public or its safety.
ocalhoun
Yep...
Looks like they won't rest until they get something SOPA-like written into law...

*anti-government sentiment at 87% and rising*
Navigator
ocalhoun wrote:
Yep...
Looks like they won't rest until they get something SOPA-like written into law...

Obama is running for another 4 years, and the other option is Romney.

*100%*
ocalhoun
Navigator wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Yep...

Obama is running for another 4 years, and the other option is Romney.

*100%*

Nope, you don't want me to reach 100%.
mm365
Smile ,I don't like him
Radar
I still have hopes that common sense will break out and prevail in discussions about Internet regulation.

Yes, there's an awful lot of precedent in politics for common sense not breaking out at all, but I still have hopes.
ocalhoun
Radar wrote:
I still have hopes that common sense will break out and prevail in discussions about Internet regulation.

Yes, there's an awful lot of precedent in politics for common sense not breaking out at all, but I still have hopes.

Not when big money is on the side against common sense it won't.

It was truly inspiring that public outcry was able to override money concerns and defeat the original bill... But public outcry has a limited attention span... and money doesn't.