FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

does a free host and a free domain affect SEO efforts?

psychorollercoaster
Hello People,

Am new to SEO and want to test my skills. I have created a website (free host) with a free domain (.tk). I wanted to know if it is difficult to get your page on search engines with a free host with a dot tk domain?
Bondings
As long as the free host does not host a lot of adult content on the same ip address (or malicious content, spam) or prohibits crawling, there should be no difference to paid hosting.

I would recommend a real domain though. Not just for the rankings.
psychorollercoaster
Ah.. thanks....yea am planning to move to a .com domain at a later stage...thanks once again Smile
k_s_baskar
psychorollercoaster wrote:
Ah.. thanks....yea am planning to move to a .com domain at a later stage...thanks once again Smile

Top level Domain like .com/.net/.org will do better than .tk (It is my personal opinion)

Smile
metalfreek
In my experience .tk domains is really hard to get indexed. You should buy .com if you want to rank well.
Bondings
I also would like to add that eventually (if your website is successful) you will most likely always switch to a .com (or .net/.org/...) domain and not use a free/.tk one. If you change your domain name you will most likely lose a lot search ranking and visitors due to the domain change (old links, google not liking a new domain). Only when you redirect (properly) all the pages of the old domain to the equivalent pages on the new domain, you might keep most of it. However this isn't always easy nor possible and you need to keep the redirection for a long time (6 months at least I suggest) and preferably permanently if you still have old links pointing to the previous domain.

Just saying that if you start a serious website (with intended Google visitors), it would be best to use a .com (or similar) paid domain.