FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much effort do you put into listening to music?

Afaceinthematrix
Most people I know just blast music in the background while driving or doing chores or surfing the web or etc.... I do that too, but I can only do that with music that I am familiar with. I just purchased the album At The Edge of Time by Blind Guardian and started listening to the first song, Sacred Worlds, while reading posts and Frihost. I had to change the music to something I am familiar with because I felt that there was too much going on in this new song that I was unfamiliar with and I want to be able to try and listen to everything and catch everything. Whenever I get a new album I like to all of my effort into just listening to that album a few times through. Is anyone else like this? Or do most people always just have music on the background?

Blind Guardian uses traditional metal instruments (guitars, bass, drums) but also uses flutes, bagpipes, keyboards, and grand pianos... I can't catch all the great background stuff going on with these instruments if my attention is elsewhere...
Ankhanu
I used to intently listen to new albums when I got them, but now I do other things whilst I listen.
Like you, I do end up distracted from the other thing I'm doing as I listen carefully to the music as I catch different elements of the songs... but I generally have things to do, so I just do both anyway Wink That said, I get distracted by music I'm familiar with too, as I notice different elements I hadn't before.
standready
Music is in the background for me unless I am intend on enjoying it or studying a piece to cover.
One place I worked the music?? in the background drove me crazy. Everyone had their own so I would hear a snip rock from one, country from another, classical from another, different talk from two others. Could never focus to one or drown out all.
tingkagol
standready wrote:
Music is in the background for me unless I am intend on enjoying it or studying a piece to cover.

Same here. All the nuances tend to emerge if you intend to cover it.

As for new music, I prefer listening to it with headphones- with considerable volume. I don't have to lay still in order to absorb it, really. I'd be surfing the net and doing other stuff on my computer while listening. The moment I check the iPod/winamp/itunes for the song title, that's when I know I'm liking what I hear.

Albums that do not undergo the same process tend to get overlooked- unless the music is extremely catchy. For the ones that fail to captivate me, I usually shelf the album and get back to it in days, weeks, months, even years, and then start to appreciate the music. Happens to me all the time. Once there was an album I purchased in high school, but it wasn't until I was working that I began to appreciate it. Smile
deanhills
If I really REALLY am focused on relaxing all I need to do is put the music on and follow the notes. Most of the time the music tells a story, completely distracts me and makes me relax.

I rarely listen to music as background, and when I do I'm not as intent on the technical, more on the actual notes and the melody.
Vanilla
I'm a multitasker by nature. I have an advantage because I have two X chromosomes instead of one X and one Y. Very Happy

It's weird because I need music to keep focused on what I'm doing. I like to listen to trance music when I really need to concentrate. You can argue that trance is not much layered compared to Blind Guardian, but I get the same results when I listen to Queen. And the beauty in Queen's songs resides in intricate harmonies, beautiful solos and mostly Freddie Mercury being awesome. I feel like my head tries to find something else to pay attention when I'm doing just one thing at a time, so I listen to music (and I pay A LOT of attention to what I'm hearing) while writing an essay or studying.
busaboss
I don't really exert an effort when I'm listening to music. It's just my way of relaxing and exerting an effort to it may be tiresome. I give a big effort in listening to a song when I'm trying to play it using my musical instruments though. Very Happy
Josso
A lot. If I'm reading something or browsing the internet I will have background tuneage but I run a radio station, produce music and have quite an obscure collection - I'm a bit of an anorak. For listening to tunes I either mix them together myself or have a set playing. I'll playlist tracks if it's something new or I haven't listened to it before though.
luciferfawkes
When I get a new CD from a band I've already listened to or just a completely new band, I like to take the time to fully listen to each song at least once or twice to get a feel for it. I'm very picky when it comes to my music. But anymore, that hasn't been the case as all I really listen to now is Rap and it's quick to decide whether I like it or not.
lockwoodman
I enjoy listening to music every day.
Blummer
Listening it everyday, but actually there are not many records which I use as background for stuff I do.
Tuvitor
It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I just like a little instrumental stuff in the background to stimulate creativity and provide a rhythm to the day's activities... sometimes I like to play it loud and disappear into it... so to speak.
rodexa
I listen to music most time of the day. Beside of listening to music i also compose my own.
chartcentral
I'd say I'd put in just the right amount of effort in listening to music. Not much, not too little. When I hear a new song, I take the time to really closely pay attention to it. Once I've done that, I'd pretty much keep it on the background already while doing something else, unless the song has become my favorite. Smile
bananko
i just listen music on my radio in car... not big fan of any kind of music
ratanegra
When I download a new album, I usually listen to it repeatedly reading the lyrics and learning everything about it until I go to bed. I, like you, don't listen to new stuff as background stuff (if I do, the music becomes my main focus and I tend to do everything else wrong). Six days ago, I downloaded an album from Nargaroth (Jahreszeiten). It was so awesome that I spent 2 days and a half listening to it repeatedly, reading different versions of the translation of the lyrics (I don't speak German), reading about the singer's hate to piracy (oh, the irony) and the way he felt that it was an ultimate disrespect to the artists. I have listened to a great variety of music since that moment (last time I listened to the song it was monday) and I can still hear the guitar playing in my head when I think about it.

Here's a little sample, by the way; totally recommended (4 minutes, while the original song lasts 21):

saratdear
I'd probably never listen to music by itself unless I was extremely bored. I know I'll fidget and think I'm wasting time.

Whenever I'm on the PC, I have music playing in the background. Even now I do. Smile
catscratches
I too always focus exclusively on the music whenever I'm listening to a new album, even when it's something ambient that's not really meant to be focused on.
memno
yeah, listening to music is pretty hard.
especially when i got other things i'd rather be doing like staring
at my phone, or the tv with all the really great 'reality' shows they
have coming out now. i especially find music hard to listen to when
i drive while texting; also while being sarcastic.
johannespilz
its hard, especially to stay up two date. there is so much music out there, all the tiome new bands or albums so if i am busy i "miss" a lot. therefore its the best to have good friends with good taste who recommend u a lot very often. also going to festivals is great, getting to know new bands. but getting the cds afterwords is quiet hard and lot of work / time spending. but ok, the music is wortth it cause what i heard on the festival is always (or most of the time) related to a good mood which i get back if i am listening to the same thing afterwards. its always wortth the time that u put into getting to know new music or listening to some.
Afaceinthematrix
Vanilla wrote:
I'm a multitasker by nature. I have an advantage because I have two X chromosomes instead of one X and one Y. :D

It's weird because I need music to keep focused on what I'm doing. I like to listen to trance music when I really need to concentrate. You can argue that trance is not much layered compared to Blind Guardian, but I get the same results when I listen to Queen. And the beauty in Queen's songs resides in intricate harmonies, beautiful solos and mostly Freddie Mercury being awesome. I feel like my head tries to find something else to pay attention when I'm doing just one thing at a time, so I listen to music (and I pay A LOT of attention to what I'm hearing) while writing an essay or studying.

Queen is a pretty good example. I haven't listened to them much because I personally don't care for them; however, I definitely respect what they have done. Musically they're pretty damn good. I just go for heavier stuff. I can see how, if I were to listen to more of them, I would have to dedicate a time to doing so until I learn their material because trying to listen to a new song would be too distracting.
Blummer
At point I thought - what if we don't listen to music properly? I mean, what if we just don't pay attention to all emotions put into a single track by someone? And it happens occasionally. We don't always understand what was the initial idea of songwriter, don't we?
jajarvin
My radio is on all day.
shashwatblack
i do that too. I listen to the album a few times, and choose the ones i like. then i add those to a playlist that i listen to in the background.
Since english is not my first language i even go through the lyrics when listening for the first few times. i really enjoy singing along the song, though i really suck at it.. after all that what music is for isn't it? for enjoying yourself? :)
c'tair
Ah, I have two categories of music in my playlist.

The first one is music that I like to get into. You know, follow the words, bop my head and whatnot. Usually it has vocals and the lyrics have a theme that is important to me or with which I identify. Sure, I can listen to it while I'm driving, but I'll be paying a lot of attention to it.

The second kind is music without vocals, just plain sounds. Stuff like industrial or electronica comes to mind. Something that soothes and affects on my emotions without me having to interpret it in any way. I really like this kind of music when I'm writing, coding, hell, even when I'm doing math. It's perfect for drowning out irritating noises like honking and such.
Radar
I think I take some sort of middle path.

I mean, yeah, some music you just listen to. But music that you really like, you often do sit there and pick out certain riffs or sections and try and listen to each of the individual parts.
grofet
Don't let music control your life. Makes yourself control music in your life. I listen to music no every day. There are so many important things to do than listening to favourite music.
_AVG_
It often happens that I temporarily develop a liking for a particular song or set of songs which I listen to almost everyday for a certain time period.
Otherwise I also put in effort to listening to songs I need to learn for my band (we cover many songs)
Josso
Addition to my previous comment: producing music for a long time effectively makes you hate 99% of the listeners and music out there, but listen intensely to everything
welshsteve
Depends on my mood and what I am doing. I listen to music all the time, even when I'm out and about with music on my phone. But I also play guitar so if I'm trying to learn a song I'll obviously listen a lot more intensely. I also listen quite hard when I'm hearing something for the first time.
Pande
I can't listen to albums any other way, although I do prefer it with friends. e.g. in the car while driving a long way, thats a great way to get into an album.
Nyasro
I listen music every time whatever i found.
TheGremlyn
I usually like listening to music in the background and one of two things will happen. The first would be: the music becomes white noise in the background and I am completly focused on the task at hand. The second: I get distracted by the music and don't focus on what I'm doing. There could be a third where I fade in and out of the two situations so I will be focused on the music but then my focus will shift back to the task.

I always found having music in the background helped me relax and made things like work and reading and writing tests less stressful. In addition, having music playing in my ear(s) helped block out other distractions. If I just have an earbud in my left ear then I won't be so easily distracted by chatter going on behind me while I'm writing a test. I don't know how I was able to get away with listening to music, maybe my profs never noticed. I did have music playing in my ear today at work and it made the day go by a bit faster and it made the day more interesting.

A note about listening to new music. If its new I will just let it play in the background and if I hear something cool then I will tune in to the song. Once the interesting part has past I will shift my focus and the music will become white noise. Each time the song plays I will hear something new and tune in to really hear it.
Myrecords
A lot, I love to listen to the voices in the background as well as the instruments, sometimes things aren't as they sound so a good listen is fun and educational.
loveandormoney
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Most people I know just blast music in the background while driving or doing chores or surfing the web or etc.... I do that too, but I can only do that with music that I am familiar with. I just purchased the album At The Edge of Time by Blind Guardian and started listening to the first song, Sacred Worlds, while reading posts and Frihost. I had to change the music to something I am familiar with because I felt that there was too much going on in this new song that I was unfamiliar with and I want to be able to try and listen to everything and catch everything. Whenever I get a new album I like to all of my effort into just listening to that album a few times through. Is anyone else like this? Or do most people always just have music on the background?

Blind Guardian uses traditional metal instruments (guitars, bass, drums) but also uses flutes, bagpipes, keyboards, and grand pianos... I can't catch all the great background stuff going on with these instruments if my attention is elsewhere...

We play music

also we create music video files

so we put a lot of energy in listening to music. And we enjoy it.