FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Elfen Lied

Mr_Howl
Anyone else watched this?

Elfen Lied (2004)
13 Episodes
Summary: A girl with strange powers escapes from a secret research center, killing many of her captors on her way out. However, she is shot and falls into the ocean, and as a result has lost her memories. Two college students, Kohta and Yuka, find this girl on the beach and decide to take her in, unaware of her violent and murderous past...
(Not entirely accurate, but I wanted it to be free of spoilers)

I thought this was a pretty solid show, although the amount of blood and nudity was a bit excessive. I found it to be deep and compelling.
Bondings
This is considered a must-see anime series as it's (as mentioned) quite deep/capturing and talked about a lot.

I liked it, but it's definitely not my favorite anime series. It is indeed very violent at times, so be warned if you wish to watch it.
loremar
Bondings watch anime too?! Awesome. Surprised

I watched the first episode a long time before but for some reason wasn't able to watch the whole series. Yes, I remember even the first episode she was already killing people. Sweet! Very Happy

I'll put this in my to watch list.
Bondings
loremar wrote:

Yes I've watched quite a few anime series, although not lately (lack of time mostly and I mostly prefer fantasy/scifi 'real' series like Game Of Thrones). Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagain (epic) and 07 Ghost were my favorites (still waiting for the second season of the latter even though the chance is small).
Vanilla
I watched Elfen Lied a couple of years ago and despite all the blood and violence it's a beautiful anime. I love the opening theme! And I know this is going to sound bad, but I enjoyed the violence and all the severed members. I think this (together with Urotsukidoji) is one of the best examples of "not all anime is meant for children".

loremar wrote:

I second that!

Bondings wrote:

Yes I've watched quite a few anime series, although not lately (lack of time mostly and I mostly prefer fantasy/scifi 'real' series like Game Of Thrones). Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagain (epic) and 07 Ghost were my favorites (still waiting for the second season of the latter even though the chance is small).

Oh, that reminds me that I need to finish 07 Ghost. I cried a lot watching it, I don't think I can handle all my feelings in the finale. Crying or Very sad
adri
I recently got into anime and this is anime is actually next on my list. I'm currently (well not actually at this very moment) watching one of the last episodes of Darker than Black which is like a mix between Shakugan no Shana (the previous anime on my list) and Heroes (you know the tv series with Sylar and Peter Petrelli ...).

I've read that it's actually quite a depressing anime (I'm more into funny anime like Naruto Shippuuden or Accel World) but I'll give it a try anyway.

* http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1544
HAL9000
Its got a lot of gore, its quite downbeat in overall tone though its also got a rather cutesy harem show thing going on for much of it thats a bit of a contrast from the violent scenes. I would say its definitely worth a watch.
drunkenkoz
It's funny that you mentioned this anime. I watched this years ago when it was first released. It's probably one of the goriest animes I've seen to date. It also has some great romance. A must watch. Razz
Josso
Yep I've seen this - some of the best character development I think I've seen in an anime like that. Epic stuff.
ato784
Bondings wrote:
This is considered a must-see anime series as it's (as mentioned) quite deep/capturing and talked about a lot.

I liked it, but it's definitely not my favorite anime series. It is indeed very violent at times, so be warned if you wish to watch it.

Bondings description is quite accurate, I did enjoy the series, but it is unnecessarily violent throughout most of it, but that is also probably why it is so revered, the realism is beyond what most shows have.
drunkenkoz
Bondings wrote:

Bondings is a true anime fanatic. Smile
hitose
I Love Lucy especially when innocent, Elfen Lied in if I did not like but it has many details that are important to me, the anime should not be as usual, in this case Elfen Lied does so with a good story and a bit all.
Iceaxe0410
I watched this anime almost a year ago. I really enjoyed it, but I have to say that I think the special powers were a bit disappointing to me. To cause so much destruction to only find out it's true form. Not being able to see the invisible power in the beginning made it so much more awesome. I kind of expected it to be invisible swords or something along that vein, but I suppose it's all the same. I won't go too much in detail to avoid spoilers. Then again, I suppose it does give that more gory ripping and tearing aspect to dismemberment rather than clean razor thin cuts. Still, I would have preferred it to be a bit more "unique."
dude_xyx
Elfen Lied has way too much violence, I think. Otherwise it's a pretty cool Anime. Violence rate is too high for my preference.
TheRPGLPer
This is not exactly my favorite anime, but nevertheless, it is a really good anime to watch. Somewhat violent though, at times.
pauline5765
It is very violent indeed. I haven't watched anything more violent than this. If you can stomach things like cutting the heads of people, buckets of blood and brutal killing, then I would also recommend this anime. Smile
pauline5765
It is very violent indeed. I haven't watched anything more violent than this. If you can stomach things like cutting the heads of people, buckets of blood and brutal killing, then I would also recommend this anime. Smile