FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blogs in other languages

Mrs Lycos
Looking for something on this topic, I found this from Bondings about languages in the blogs in Frihost:

Bondings on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:42 pm wrote:
@sonam, sorry but it's English only at the moment. I might add a few other languages, but that will most likely not be for soon and the same languages as the language forums.

This post was a long time ago, but I'd say we would appreciate it if we could open a blog in a language other than English.
Bondings
It might be a good idea to allow it. However only for languages with an active language moderator that is ok with taking a look at the blogs from time to time.
Ghost Rider103
How would you handle separating the blogs by language?

I don't think mixing the English blogs with other languages would be a very good idea.

I'm writing this from my iPhone, so I will wait to throw out some ideas till I get to my computer. But was curious to know of you already had an idea in mind for it.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
How would you handle separating the blogs by language?

I don't think mixing the English blogs with other languages would be a very good idea.

I'm writing this from my iPhone, so I will wait to throw out some ideas till I get to my computer. But was curious to know of you already had an idea in mind for it.
Agreed. Maybe they should be attached to the Language Forum that is applicable to them. And only as Bondings said if there is available Staff to moderate them.
Bondings
@Ghost Rider103, no separation. That would indeed be a bit of a mess.
Mrs Lycos
There should be then at least a tag or something to sort the blogs by language, it would be rather difficult for a mod (or anyone) to check them from time to time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to get to a blog is either going to the blogs section and see the links to the latest posts- or the most viewed, or go to the user's profile with a blog. So if the post in any other language doesn't show up in the top positions, then it's checking profile by profile.
Bondings
Mrs Lycos wrote:
There should be then at least a tag or something to sort the blogs by language, it would be rather difficult for a mod (or anyone) to check them from time to time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to get to a blog is either going to the blogs section and see the links to the latest posts- or the most viewed, or go to the user's profile with a blog. So if the post in any other language doesn't show up in the top positions, then it's checking profile by profile.

Yes, although usually for moderation only the latest posts are the most important.

I can try to implement a language setting like you mentioned, but even then the problem remains that some users would post in more than one language, eg Spanish and English. So the setting should probably be set on either the category or the post level - and I doubt it would be always used.
sonam
Bondings wrote:

Yes, although usually for moderation only the latest posts are the most important.

I can try to implement a language setting like you mentioned, but even then the problem remains that some users would post in more than one language, eg Spanish and English. So the setting should probably be set on either the category or the post level - and I doubt it would be always used.

Maybe is possible to allow members to create blog category (ONLY ONE) e.g. "Spanish blogs" and they must post theirs post in this category in Spanish. In other blog categories they must write in English.

Sonam
Bondings
sonam wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Maybe is possible to allow members to create blog category (ONLY ONE) e.g. "Spanish blogs" and they must post theirs post in this category in Spanish. In other blog categories they must write in English.

Sonam

That is probably the best solution, yes.
rjraaz
@Bonding I do not want hijack this thread but it is in my mind from a long time that is it possible for you to create "Hindi" forum. I think there are large number of users are Indian. And may it boost the forum as well.

Yes but there is possible problem of font support. But it is not that much big problem to implement.
Mrs Lycos
Bondings wrote:
sonam wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Sonam

That is probably the best solution, yes.

But with that we could not make use of the categories, if we make a blog in one language only.

Why not only "flag" the forum at creation that the blog will have X language, though it could have English also. I think the mods in X language know a bit of English also to screen those posts too, and could ask for help to other mods in case they're not sure.
Bondings
You could've have several of those categories.

@rjaaz, Please create a new topic about it. Only if a lot of people are interested and we can find a good moderator.