FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

High cholesterol and triglycerides

therimalaya
On examining the reason behind the high blood pressure, i had given my blood for test of cholesterol and triglycerides. Both of them are in range "high".

What should i do to maintain those things. I'm not fat. My height is 5.2 in and weight is 58 kg. Should i start medication or can they be reduced by exercise, yoga and controlling the eating habits.

My cholesterol has value around 170 and triglycerides has value around 280. Someone please suggest some solutions.

Thank you very much.
SonLight
Generally as we get older all of these numbers tend to go up. There is no need to try to figure out which one or ones "caused" the others to go up; just be aware that it's part of aging, and try to lower any of them that you can to keep good health for a longer time.

You give only a "total cholesterol" figure, which is the simplest test that's normally used initially to screen people. Later on you may want to know your LDL and HDL numbers, which are a better indication of how serious a problem you have. For now, I would suggest seeing what you can do with diet and exercise. Lots of fruits and vegetables is a good idea, and avoid saturated fats as much as you can.

You should check periodically to see how you're doing, but don't get discouraged if the numbers don't get better. If you are able to keep them the same for an extended period of time, you have succeeded in limiting the aging process. By all means consult a doctor occasionally, and if necessary take medicine. There are several kinds of blood pressure medicine, most of which do not have severe side effects in most people. If you have to take medicine for your cholesterol level, it is likely to be a little more unpleasant. Eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of exercise may not be enough to bring the numbers down, but they are likely to give you a longer and healthier life regardless of what the numbers say.
angj888
According to this article by Dr Mercola, the following two ratios are far better indicators of heart disease risk than total cholesterol alone:

1) Your HDL/Cholesterol ratio: HDL (high-density lipoproteins) to total cholesterol percentage is a very good predictor of heart disease risk. Just divide your HDL number by your total cholesterol. Ideally, this number should exceed 24 percent; below 10 percent predicts an increased risk for heart disease.

2) Your Triglyceride/HDL ratio: Divide your triglyceride number by your HDL. This ratio should ideally be below 2.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/04/27/vitamin-d-and-blood-test-health-factors.aspx
mshafiq
Triglycerides are a type of fat found in blood.Body uses them for energy.

we need some triglycerides for good health. But high triglycerides can raise risk of heart diseas

we can make lifestyle healthy by changing diet to help lower fat levels.
Stay at a healthy weight.
Reduce the amount of fats and sugars in diet.
Be more active.
if we Quit smoking is very healthy
Reduce the amount of alcohol.
loyal
therimalaya wrote:
On examining the reason behind the high blood pressure, i had given my blood for test of cholesterol and triglycerides. Both of them are in range "high".

What should i do to maintain those things. I'm not fat. My height is 5.2 in and weight is 58 kg. Should i start medication or can they be reduced by exercise, yoga and controlling the eating habits.

My cholesterol has value around 170 and triglycerides has value around 280. Someone please suggest some solutions.

Thank you very much.

Is it possible that you just had been eating a lot of fatty foods, such as burgers and whatnot, recently before the test was taken? Trying eating very healthy for a while and then retake the test. It's possible that the test for the triglyceride, and to some extent the cholesterol, were only indicative of short-term dietary and exercise habits.
Just a thought.