FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What Operating system do we use in switches???

Aakash2902
Guys a switch is a device that most of you are aware of ?? It is a very intelligent device as well ?? can someone help me here to know what type of software or OS is used to manage a switch??
Ankhanu
AFAIK they tend to have their own firmware and interfaces; they don't really use normal OSes. As such, how you interface with them will depend largely on the company that made the switch.
weableandbob
Switches do not have operating systems. They have firmware to make them work, but nothing like Windows or Linux. I don't think switches even have the required hardware to run an operating system.
badai
actually some do have OS like Cisco switches running on Cisco IOS and CatOS, and MicroTik switches running on SwOS.

everything has OS, your microwave, controller in your car, etc. anything that managed hardware either in the form of software, firmware or another hardware is an OS. that's the definition. you have a system, something that runs it is the operator of the system.
Mr_Howl
badai wrote:
anything that managed hardware either in the form of software, firmware or another hardware is an OS. that's the definition. you have a system, something that runs it is the operator of the system.

No. An Operating System is more complicated than that.

For example, if I have a microcontroller, and I write a C program for it, is that C program an OS? No, it's just a program running on the microcontroller.
badai
Mr_Howl wrote:
badai wrote:
anything that managed hardware either in the form of software, firmware or another hardware is an OS. that's the definition. you have a system, something that runs it is the operator of the system.

For example, if I have a microcontroller, and I write a C program for it, is that C program an OS? No, it's just a program running on the microcontroller.

then what interfaces between your C program and the hardware? you were right. it's more complicated than that. something must load and execute your program.
Mr_Howl
badai wrote:
Mr_Howl wrote:
badai wrote:

then what interfaces between your C program and the hardware? you were right. it's more complicated than that. something must load and execute your program.

On a microcontroller? Nothing. The compiler turns the C into assembly, and it's done. The programmer has full access to all of the hardware pins, and any available memory.