FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox available for download from Microsoft.com

Ravi
Check out
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/results.aspx?bcatId=351&minPrice=0&maxPrice=0

and be surprised!

Very Happy
n0obie4life
lol. Didn't Microsoft treat them as web opponents?
lerman
nah... i tried this one i didnt liked firefox i think slimbrowser better
spider89
Laughing Laughing IE shit, so, there is firefox Wink
dan751
I have a theory. Though it is highly unlikely, anything in this world is possible. In theory, it is possble that the Mozilla organization was created by a small group of Micro$oft employees. And that is possible for the reason it's for download from microsoft.com. But then to shoot my theory, it appears that almost every other browser created is downloadable there. So, who knows. But all I know is that Firefox being downloadable from Microsoft.com is quite funny.
corey
Interesting find. They're not really selling or promoting, though. It more of a list (and I think Tucows is behind it).
rootC
Firefox is simply in an index full of other software, most of which is not created by Microsoft. I bet a lot of Microsoft employees use Firefox, that is, until their boss comes around their corner and they quickly minimize it.
Huhnteufel
dan751 wrote:
I have a theory. Though it is highly unlikely, anything in this world is possible. In theory, it is possble that the Mozilla organization was created by a small group of Micro$oft employees. And that is possible for the reason it's for download from microsoft.com. But then to shoot my theory, it appears that almost every other browser created is downloadable there. So, who knows. But all I know is that Firefox being downloadable from Microsoft.com is quite funny.

First, it's not available for download- they merely list it and say it's available from Download.com, which is not a Microsoft site.

Second, Mozilla was not created by MS employees. Somewhere along the line, the Netscape code, along with the Gecko rendering engine, were GPL'd (made open-source), and thus the Mozilla Organization was formed, and the original Mozilla Suite was developed and maintained for years, until the Firefox project came to be. So in short, the Mozilla Foundation came from Netscape.
snowboardalliance
haha, that's pretty funny.
I'm surprised they would show any competing browsers on thier site.
squeakypants
holy retarted elephant monkeys batman!
Dancing Dancing

http://thetech.frihost.net/blog/?itemid=12
kansloos
Remember: Firefox is safer but doesn't support as most features as Microsoft Internet Explorer.

That's why I use Microsoft Internet Explorer instead of Mozilla Firefox
The solutions for the spyware hazard?
it will be stopped by Spywareblaster 3.4.
babumuchhala
Its just a damn list of all available we browsers for Windows. M$ dosent have any of it on its servers. If you wanna downoad it, its through download.com and no where else.

Its a site where you can find almost all the damn softwares for windows.

kansloos wrote:
Remember: Firefox is safer but doesn't support as most features as Microsoft Internet Explorer.

WTF. IE is not as feature rich as FF. If u just wanna compare features Opera has mind blowing features. eatures u dont even get on FF.

As to agreeing with web standards Opera is the most compatible with standards. It comes closest to clearing the Acid 2 test. The safest and the best.

Its just that IE has a foolishly huge market and sites are tuned for it.
ulmas
babumuchhala wrote:
WTF. IE is not as feature rich as FF. If u just wanna compare features Opera has mind blowing features. eatures u dont even get on FF.

As to agreeing with web standards Opera is the most compatible with standards. It comes closest to clearing the Acid 2 test. The safest and the best.

Again the best browser dispute.. I remember I saw this lots-where in these fourms. Whatever it is, Firefox rules, and Flock does even better Very Happy

And that list is really about almost every existing free web browser on earth! Browwing on the 8th page of that list I can still see web-browsers. I didn't even know there are so many out there!
ocalhoun
What suprises me is that they actually posted it as having a much better user rating than IE. Since when does Microsoft admit its far from the best?
prongs_386
microsoft still wants to control the entire computer market. They have firefoz link on their site because they accept more people are leaving IE so if they want people to still goto microsoft for at least a reference to other software.
voteforsamuel
ocalhoun wrote:
What suprises me is that they actually posted it as having a much better user rating than IE. Since when does Microsoft admit its far from the best?

The user rating is probably votes from actual users who believe that Firefox is better. I doubt Microsoft would ever admit that another browser is better than IE.
Eyre
Huhnteufel wrote:
dan751 wrote:

First, it's not available for download- they merely list it and say it's available from Download.com, which is not a Microsoft site.

Second, Mozilla was not created by MS employees. Somewhere along the line, the Netscape code, along with the Gecko rendering engine, were GPL'd (made open-source), and thus the Mozilla Organization was formed, and the original Mozilla Suite was developed and maintained for years, until the Firefox project came to be. So in short, the Mozilla Foundation came from Netscape.

True. I'd like to add that it was made by a kid in school, and i believe it was him and his friends. Very Happy
izcool
Well, technically, it's not on "Microsoft.com". I did a search for the downloads, and nothing comes up where you can actually download it. The only entry in there says that it works with FireFox.

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?View=en-us&p=1&c=1&st=b&qu=FireFox&swc=1&na=33&cm=512

However, Windowsmarketplace.com is a Microsoft site, so that is a bit odd.

- Mike.
lockwolf
Firefox rox your sox bitch!
vinodmishra
babumuchhala wrote:

Sorry but though Opera was the first to move towards standard compliance but below are the browsers which fully pass ACID2 Test
* Safari, in Mac OS X v10.4.3 (the first browser to do so)
* Konqueror, in KDE 3.5.
* iCab, in Mac OS X v10.4.3
* Prince, an XML-to-PDF converter developed by YesLogic
avk
That iswhy IE is much more better than anything
I say that IE is the best and maybe another firedog may take it out in about a century or so!!!
driftingfe3s
Wow, thats interesting. We'll I've heard that even Microsoft's work newsletter advised thier employes to use Firefox.
cheeta
izcool wrote:
Well, technically, it's not on "Microsoft.com". I did a search for the downloads, and nothing comes up where you can actually download it. The only entry in there says that it works with FireFox.

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?View=en-us&p=1&c=1&st=b&qu=FireFox&swc=1&na=33&cm=512

- Mike.

yup its not hosted on MS download server...

but me dont think that its odd case...

i think its to atract people to windows MS advertises that FF does run also on windows rather Linux platform.... lol....
careyd
kansloos wrote:

Sorry to say but ie doesn't even support all the features they claim to support . There are multiple websites out there that you read about this, just google for them. One example is that ie claimed full png support since version 4, yet still lacks it. There are multiple other examples.
careyd
I think the whole purpose of the site is to say "Hey come run windows, look at all these different programs from 3rd parties that run on windows." Vendors and software devolpers probably sign up for free to have their software listed.

I wouldn't doubt, with their humor, if someone from the firefox team added it. LOL
Rhysige
izcool wrote:

- Mike.

It is however Microsoft hence the copyright down the bottom that says
Quote:
© 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Wd_removed
rootC wrote:
Firefox is simply in an index full of other software, most of which is not created by Microsoft. I bet a lot of Microsoft employees use Firefox, that is, until their boss comes around their corner and they quickly minimize it.

rofl.. more than likely..
KHO
dan751 wrote:

Maybe every browser ever was made by people at MS
ocalhoun
Its likely that they maintain that site in order to avoid being busted for being a monopoly, wasn't there some case about that earlier? Something about how IE comes bundled with Windows...
sudha
Laughing it's great to see listing of firefox in microsoft marketplace page

and greatest surprise is it's ranking which is double of that given to internet explorer update i.e 5 out of 5 2.5 to internet explorer update Crying or Very sad
mOrpheuS
Ravi wrote:
Check out
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/results.aspx?bcatId=351&minPrice=0&maxPrice=0

and be surprised!

sudha wrote:
it's great to see listing of firefox in microsoft marketplace page

and greatest surprise is it's ranking which is double of that given to internet explorer update i.e 5 out of 5 2.5 to internet explorer update

That has nothing to do with Microsoft advertising or recommending Firefox.
WindowsMarketPlace merely lists all the software that will work with Windows.

In that sense, it's more like searching for "Google" on MSN search and then saying that MSN site contains a link to Google.com

And the rating "stars" are given by users.
Do you think Firefox fans will ever rate it anything below 5/5 ? Or IE anything above 2/5 ?

I really don't see what's so surprising about Firefox being on the list, or it being rated 5 stars by the users... Rolling Eyes
What would have been surprising is if Microsoft omitted Firefox from the list of software for windows, or doctored its user rating.

driftingfe3s wrote:
We'll I've heard that even Microsoft's work newsletter advised thier employes to use Firefox.

That, I would say, is next to impossible. Wink

ulmas wrote:
Again the best browser dispute..

mOrpheuS's 37th law of Internet Forums - Microsoft/IE and Mozilla/Firefox CANNOT be mentioned in one sentence without triggering the "best browser" flame-war.
ulmas wrote:
Whatever it is, Firefox rules

It's kind of irresistible, isn't it ? d'oh!
lisim
sudha wrote:

and greatest surprise is it's ranking which is double of that given to internet explorer update i.e 5 out of 5 2.5 to internet explorer update Crying or Very sad

thats becuase firefox is suprieme in every way and its is funy that MS would admit to it though Oo
izcool
lisim wrote:
sudha wrote:

thats becuase firefox is suprieme in every way and its is funy that MS would admit to it though Oo

I think it's called "Windows Update" if I'm not mistaken. You can download IE6 for IE5 computers on Windows Update I think, or, well, the last time that I checked. Rolling Eyes

- Mike.
duckling
is it a joke Shocked

they might be do that to make people come this site more frequent Smile