FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

static electricity on computer screens, gets degaussed?

boinsterman
About a year ago, I was asked to test some computer monitors for recycling purposes. One of the tests required degaussing the screens from a button or screen menu. This test, I was told, removed static electricity from the screens (and momentarily warped the display--artistically beautiful but confusing).

Does anyone know the name of the principle by which the static electricity accumulates on monitor screens (glass or LCD or whatever)?

Thanks,
Boinsterman
Bikerman
A CRT is an electron gun - it fires electrons at the screen. The glass acts as a giant capacitor and can store charge. This allows a Potential Difference to build up between the glass and the common ground.
boinsterman
So degaussing essentially means completing the circuit between the screen and the power source, or between the screen and the grounding?

Edit: Also, does this apply to LCD screens as well?

I understand electrons do not pass THROUGH normal glass?
ocalhoun
boinsterman wrote:

Edit: Also, does this apply to LCD screens as well?

No. Flat screens do not use anything resembling an electron gun.
Some static may build up on them, but nowhere near as much, and it could be discharged the same way any other static electricity is discharged.
Quote:

I understand electrons do not pass THROUGH normal glass?

They don't.
In a CRT screen, the electrons hit a layer of fluorescent material coating the inside of the glass (originally phosphor, but I think the newer ones use something else). This material has an interesting property that when a high-energy electron hits it, it emits photons in response, glowing.
...The emitted glow from that is what passes through the glass.
Bikerman
Degaussing is essentially getting rid of any charge on the screen and gun so the screen has no potential WRT gun and therefore produces a true picture. If the gun and screen have different PDs then you are going to get the beam behaving badly.
Degaussing everyday is NOT a good idea. I do mine (1 have 3 26inch CRTs because they are fabby quality, cost peanuts, and I have a big area. I probably degauss them about once a month.