FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Swapping Blackberry for iPhone

Tony The Tiger
Someone told me that they could get me a new iPhone for $100. I got my BlackBerry Torch in September. AT&T said if I got a new handset, I would have to make sure it is unlocked and AT&T compatible or some such. They said if it is iPhone 4 I will need a new (micro)sim card. I am not so sure how good a deal this is or what other things I should consider. Comments welcome.
busaboss
I think the deal is just fine. As a matter of fact, for me iOS is just way better than the blackberry OS. However, that was just my own preference it depends from person to person. I have an android phone and I like it more than any smartphone operating system available in the market. Very Happy
william
If you can actually get an unlocked no contract iPhone 4 for $100, do it. If it's with a contract, then it's not really a deal at all, since that's how much AT&T sells them for with contract. It's a pretty decent phone (I'm more of an Android person, though) and I would say it's a good upgrade from your Torch.

Still, I would make sure to confirm that you're getting a no contract iPhone 4 for $100, not just one that requires a contract.
busaboss
An iPhone is nice but maybe you consider an Android phone? It is way better in almost all aspects..

PS: I'm an android boy too Smile
william
busaboss wrote:
An iPhone is nice but maybe you consider an Android phone? It is way better in almost all aspects..

PS: I'm an android boy too Smile

Only problem with an Android phone here is that for $100, the best new no-contract Android phone he'll be able to get is an LG Optimus One, which is certainly a great phone, but it definitely falls short of an iPhone 4.

Of course if the iPhone 4 were regular retail price, then you could probably get a better Android phone for the same price.
busaboss
Quote:

Only problem with an Android phone here is that for $100, the best new no-contract Android phone he'll be able to get is an LG Optimus One, which is certainly a great phone, but it definitely falls short of an iPhone 4.

Of course if the iPhone 4 were regular retail price, then you could probably get a better Android phone for the same price.

The LG Optimus One is really a great phone. I heard that the modified Ice Cream Sandwich ROM for it is now closing in the stable version. If you're fond of fiddling with your phone just like me, choose an android phone. If you're into the simple thing, choose iPhone. The great thing about Android is that it is highly customizable and you can do almost anything you can think of (well, just almost). But if you will be getting the iPhone 4 for a really cheap price, might as well go for it. Very Happy
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
If you can actually get an unlocked no contract iPhone 4 for $100, do it. If it's with a contract, then it's not really a deal at all, since that's how much AT&T sells them for with contract. It's a pretty decent phone (I'm more of an Android person, though) and I would say it's a good upgrade from your Torch.

Still, I would make sure to confirm that you're getting a no contract iPhone 4 for $100, not just one that requires a contract.

What exactly does the term unlocked mean. Does it just mean a handset without any service contract? Also, if I buy an unlocked iPhone what happens to my 2-year contract for my Blackberry. Can I swap in an unlocked iPhone onto the same contract or am I subject to penalties if I make the switch.
Tony The Tiger
busaboss wrote:
Quote:

The LG Optimus One is really a great phone. I heard that the modified Ice Cream Sandwich ROM for it is now closing in the stable version. If you're fond of fiddling with your phone just like me, choose an android phone. If you're into the simple thing, choose iPhone. The great thing about Android is that it is highly customizable and you can do almost anything you can think of (well, just almost). But if you will be getting the iPhone 4 for a really cheap price, might as well go for it. Very Happy

My choice is stay with the Blackberry or buy an unlocked iPhone. I am not looking at other models.
weableandbob
Tony The Tiger wrote:
What exactly does the term unlocked mean. Does it just mean a handset without any service contract? Also, if I buy an unlocked iPhone what happens to my 2-year contract for my Blackberry. Can I swap in an unlocked iPhone onto the same contract or am I subject to penalties if I make the switch.

I believe that unlocked means that it is not tied to any carrier in particular, eg. it will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile. I don't think most phones come unlocked, but there are ways to do that. Nothing should happen to your contract, as the contract is not tied to your phone. Should is the key word, so I would double check with your carrier before you decide.
Tony The Tiger
weableandbob wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

I believe that unlocked means that it is not tied to any carrier in particular, eg. it will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile. I don't think most phones come unlocked, but there are ways to do that. Nothing should happen to your contract, as the contract is not tied to your phone. Should is the key word, so I would double check with your carrier before you decide.

So I can get any unlocked phone and use it to replace a phone under contract? What about the fact that the new iPhones use microsim cards and my BlackBerry uses a regular sim card?
william
Tony The Tiger wrote:
So I can get any unlocked phone and use it to replace a phone under contract? What about the fact that the new iPhones use microsim cards and my BlackBerry uses a regular sim card?

As long as the unlocked phone supports the frequencies for your carrier, sure. And actually, you don't necessarily need an unlocked iPhone, just an AT&T model. As for the SIM card, you'll have to request a new microSIM one from the carrier. The price will be anywhere from free to a few dollars.