FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Giveaway Sites

hakaner
Hi all,

These are giveaway sites I follow:

giveawayoftheday.com (daily giveaways)
bitsdujour.com (discounts & giveaways)
yasalprogram.com (daily giveaways & freebies)
dailysoftwaregiveaway.com (daily giveaways)
tipradar.com/category/giveaway (giveaways & contest)
dottech.org/category/freebies (giveaways)
pressbyte.com/category/giveaway-2 (giveaways)
freebiest.com (giveaways & freebies)
raymond.cc/forum/giveaways.php (required to register)

Is there a site you know and want to share?
silverdown
Thanks for sharing, the one one i knew about was giveawayoftheday.com or GOTD as they are sometimes refereed to. Though the programs only work for that day the little activator can mess up so you can't get the software. I had that happen a few times.
hakaner
silverdown wrote:
Thanks for sharing, the one one i knew about was giveawayoftheday.com or GOTD as they are sometimes refereed to. Though the programs only work for that day the little activator can mess up so you can't get the software. I had that happen a few times.

You can create setup and registry backups of GAOD softwares to use a later date.
shareshots
There is a program available at Sourceforge called GOATD Keeper that is supposed allow you to keep the setup file of the software offered by giveawayoftheday in order to install it later. I haven't figured it out yet, but I will when I have more time.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaotdsetupkeep/

Also, a good site for freeware, not really giveaways: GIZMO'S Freeware
http://www.techsupportalert.com/
hakaner
shareshots wrote:
There is a program available at Sourceforge called GOATD Keeper that is supposed allow you to keep the setup file of the software offered by giveawayoftheday in order to install it later. I haven't figured it out yet, but I will when I have more time.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaotdsetupkeep/

Also, a good site for freeware, not really giveaways: GIZMO'S Freeware
http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Nice freeware site, thank you. Also, you don't need a software for keep GAOD setup files. Simply follow the steps:

1- Setup backup

Go to your Control Panel-> Folder Options-> View tab:

a- Select to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" option.
b- Remove selection from "Hide extensions for known file types".

Go to "C:\Users\*your user name*\AppData\Local\Temp" folder, select all (ctrl+a) and delete all files (Don't worry, these files are temporary installation files). Here is a log file used by your system may be indelible, just skip it.

Then, run your GAOD installation-activator file (as administrator). When the first setup window appears "Don't continue with the installation" and "Don't close and touch anything on the setup window", just leave it open. Go to your temp folder again (C:\Users\*your user name*\AppData\Local\Temp) and copy the blank setup file (which is the highest size file - usually this file starts with "we" words) and paste it anywhere you want.

Hover over and right click this copied blank file, then select to properties. Uncheck "Hidden" box-> apply and ok. Right click again and Rename it with ".exe" extension. Setup file is ready to use now.

2- Registry backup

If there is no license cod in the "readme" file: Continue with the normal installation with downloaded activator (after copying setup) and finish the installation. Start-> search bar-> (or win+r hotkey) and type "regedit". You can find registry entry of the program under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software" path in registry editor. If you find your program folder, look for "lower" folders for licence entry. Then, save it from the top menu with File-> Export. Also, if you don't find a registry folder of program, select "computer" line from top right section and run "find" (ctrl+f). Type program name or company name to find entry.

When you install the program again, just double click to this registry backup.

Note-1: If the setup file is already given, you don't need to make a backup of the setup file. Just create a registry backup for licence.

Note-2: Some programs can throw the license information into their directory or "C:\Users\*your user name*\AppData\Roaming" path. Always watch out that.

Note-3: Many programs, offers options in the last stage of the installation window such as 'Launch program' or 'Run program'. Always leave the box blank next to this option before complete the installation.

Sufficient to take backups of many programs I've written above.
weableandbob
I've never heard of any of these, but they look useful! Thanks for the links Very Happy
Gregoric
Thanks for this list. Only used the GiveawayOfTheDay for now. Gotta subscribe to all the sites, there may be some interesting stuff there.
kc4cop
My post concerns an old but usually very popular thread that contains information important to those interested in using "giveaway websites". The websites that I am familiar with limit their offerings to a time period of only 24 hours. My post addresses this fact. Also there is a new giveaway site that I would like to bring to your attention.

the topics that I am mentioning involves "Free Giveaway Websites" and goes back to the spring of 2012. I think most will agree that this topic appeals to many. If you are one of those interested then pertinent information follows.

On May 16, 2012, hakaner posted several comments concerning giveaway websites. I would like to call readers' attention to what is now an error in one of hakaner's web post.

The error is in hakaner's post involves instructions on how to preserve giveawayoftheday (GOTD)'s, www.giveawayoftheday.com, setup files so that they can be used after the 24 hour period in which files on the GOTD website are valid. When hakaner's post was made the information that he gave concerning preserving GOTD offerings for reinstallation beyond the 24-hour time limit would work some but not all of the time.

For the past 6 months or so some of the information in hakaner's post is no longer valid i.e preserving a giveaway beyond the 24 hour period the specific software is being offered. will no longer work at all.

GOTD changed the wrapper that they use to bundle their daily giveaway so that it is near impossible to cheat in anyway. Specifically, the setup files and the program activation information is sealed tightly. As I previously mentioned, these files are just about impossible to hack. This holds true in both of the 2 cases concerning the style of activation mentioned in hakaner's original post.

Activation of software on GOTD's and other giveaway websites:

Some activation files are included as a separate file within the GOTD wrapper and are specifically written to activate the GOTD offering - double-click the file and activation is automatic. In the 2nd case, activation is contained in a "readme" file this part of the wrapper and requires information to be copied from the readme file to the entered into the program once it has been installed. This style of activation can become even more complicated. The following is an example of one of the ways that activation can be more time consuming and more difficult to hack. I.e. the installation process of many programs being offered require one to go to a website where often he must enter his name and email address before the activation information is sent to him at the email address listed on the activation form.

No one in the GOTD readership has boasted that they have been able to crack the GOTD new wrapper. The skinny is that installation of an offered program is limited to the 24 hour time limit

Another interesting fact that I would like to call your attention to is that a new giveaway site has made its presence known on the World Wide Web. Many of you will be familiar with Glary software. Glary has produced several suites of computer tuneup software for Windows and standalone utilities for such things such as programs for the un-installation of files. Very recently Glary, using the name: "giveaway.glarysoft.com", has started his own daily giveaway program. At the present time there is a lot of overlapping between Glary's software and GOTD's offerings. Some of the recent offerings on Glary's giveaway website have been of higher quality than the daily fare on the GOTD website. There are 2 conditions that are true to the giveaway offerings on both websites. The 1st is that there are no free updates to the offered software. The 2nd condition is that there is no free technical support for the offerings. In the technical support arena I have found that when users have a difficult time installing the offered programs quite often the user is able to communicate with the developer to help work out the problems. Those interested in another daily giveaway website might want to add " [url]www.giveaway.glarysoft.com[/url]" to their web browser's "favorites or bookmarks".

I have been a regular user of GOTD for 5 or 6 years and a user of Glary's utilities for perhaps 10 years. In my experience both entities are reputable.

kc4cop