FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows instance inside a linux VPS

jilbs
I want to know if anybody here have tried installing virtualbox or vmware inside a VPS.
menino
Yes, I've tried it. A virtual machine in a virtual machine.
Doesn't make much sense, though, as it runs very slow.
I tried installing vmware inside a virtual machine, and this was version 6.x inside another virtual machine at the time, a couple of years ago.
I guess the host machine had limited resources at the time, but haven't tried it lately, as with the new servers, it makes more sense to run them side by side, and each use its own set of resources, and connect them via the internal virtual network.
jilbs
hi menino. thanks for your response. Well the main reason why i asked is i want to setup a garena hostbot to ask like a DOTA server.

We have a club here in saudi arabia who loves playing Dota. We tried RGC but sometimes the connection is really slow.. what we want is to configure a dedicated server of our own. so we can play anytime we want. without problems.

i've tried openvpn on a vps but no go. so i was hoping if maybe, installing hostbot will work inside a virtual machine on a virtual private server.
Fire Boar
It should be fine - I'm part of a group who around two years ago used Ubuntu to host a Windows VM on which a game server would run - the game server had an annoying habit of freezing up the OS occasionally, so this VM setup actually improved stability compared with a straightforward Windows rig, since the host Linux OS was able to detect a crash and restart the guest Windows OS. We used VMWare, but Virtualbox or any other Windows-compatible VM program should work equally well. Of course, we've since ported our stuff to Linux so stability is a non-issue now. Smile

But yes, you should have no problems whatsoever.
badai
Fire Boar wrote:
It should be fine - I'm part of a group who around two years ago used Ubuntu to host a Windows VM on which a game server would run - the game server had an annoying habit of freezing up the OS occasionally, so this VM setup actually improved stability compared with a straightforward Windows rig, since the host Linux OS was able to detect a crash and restart the guest Windows OS. We used VMWare, but Virtualbox or any other Windows-compatible VM program should work equally well. Of course, we've since ported our stuff to Linux so stability is a non-issue now. Smile

is your ubuntu a physical machine or VPS? he wants to run windows inside VPS, which itself a VM.
jilbs
badai wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

is your ubuntu a physical machine or VPS? he wants to run windows inside VPS, which itself a VM.

That's right. Is it a VPS or not?
Fire Boar
Oh, two levels of virtualization? Well, that all depends on the specs of your VPS. For us, ubuntu was the OS installed on the physical machine. Your mileage pretty much depends on how powerful the server you have available is. If the VPS is good enough, you should be fine, but I suspect that you'll find yourself with a bit too much overhead.