FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Configurable but hassleless linux?

squeakypants
All of em seem to be either extreme. Either it's easy to start and use but has no configurability/customization (Fedora Core 4) or is a pain in the ass to start but is completely customizable (Gentoo). Is there any linux that is easy to get ready but is completely customizable? I'm talking free here, by the way. Thanks in advance!
n0obie4life
www.mepis.org

There. But you need a good pc that can support live cds properly.
Boles Roor
http://ubuntu-linux.org/

Mighty finest linux there is IMO. Smile
corey
Boles Roor wrote:
http://ubuntu-linux.org/

Mighty finest linux there is IMO. Smile
I have to agree. I've been a Gentoo supporter for a long time because its got everything (except the setup and waiting for source to compile). I tried Kubuntu (cos I like KDE) and I must say, they're starting to do Debian right. You'll like it. It "just works" and there's lots under the hood too.
tony
Slackware is my personal favorite...

http://slackware.com

easy to set up, very flexible, comes with kde.
squeakypants
Ubuntu = no

Sorry, I had a bad experience with ubuntu and I tried it again recently just because i needed a linux to fix my windows, but I still didn't like it.

As for the others, I'll check em out. But I'd like to use a non-livecd one just because I want everything to be ready on the system, not have to change the settings on every boot. Plus its a free cd drive.
artur.h
Any Linux is easily configurable.

For example, SUSE (now free) is very easy to setup with easy GUI setup dialogs for just about anything, but you can still edit all text configuration files. I have never seen a non-configurable Linux distro.
Xcelerate
Ubuntu Linux works fine for me. In fact, it's pretty much the only one that works how it is supposed to.

I have a slight question about, if anyone knows: I am trying to download Captive-NTFS, (as either .rpm or the other type) and transferring it to my flash drive, but how do I get it to run once in Linux? Thanks.
corey
I've wondered about captive once in a while as well, but usually just use the ntfs write support in the 2.6 kernels. Haven't had any bad luck yet...
squeakypants
suse is free now? a couple months ago i was looking at it and it seemed to be commercial. i'll check it out.
ocalhoun
squeakypants wrote:
suse is free now? a couple months ago i was looking at it and it seemed to be commercial. i'll check it out.

It has been as long as I have known about it, when they sell it what they are really selling is documentation and phone support.

Anyway, ease of use and configurability are at opposite ends of a spectrum, and no OS can have the best of both.