FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How far is your commute to work?

standready
An interesting read:

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/12/11165204-the-long-road-home-super-commuters-on-the-rise?lite

My neighbor drives 75 miles each way to work. He has been doing this for 18 years. For many of the reasons noted in the article.
I work from home for now but last job offer was 98 miles each way and 3 minimum hours (on a good day). Yes, fuel prices here in the US are less than most countries but does not help much.

So, what is your commute like?
Afaceinthematrix
About 9 miles... If I bike it takes more than an hour - which I don't mind. If I'm in a hurry or the weather doesn't permit it, then it takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on the traffic.

One thing that you have to consider is location. One of those super commuters the article mentioned lives out in the country. There will be virtually no traffic until he/she gets into the city and by then they'll be at work. 100 miles in the Inland Empire is way worse. The Los Angeles area, where I live, has terrible traffic. I remember one time it took me over 2 hours to make the 14 mile drive to school.
standready
Agree, location is everything. I live southeast of Chicago and last job offer was northwest suburb of Chicago. No good route to take. My neighbor has the advantage of working nights at O'hare so trip is not too bad for him - usually.
busaboss
I travel for about an hour before I can get to my school during weekdays. It is really hard when I encounter sudden traffic that really pisses me off because I want to go home early just like everybody else. Sometimes, I wish I could just fly my way to any place I would want to visit. But that seems to impossible for now. Smile
watersoul
I've never travelled more than an hour each way for work, apart from exceptional short contracts or meetings and the like. If any job has required long term travel due to distance, I have always moved house instead or decided against the employment.

For nearly a year now I've been running my own general construction/property maintenance business and my target area is mainly within a 30 mile radius (roughly 1 hour each way due to local roads). Any longer than that and it puts the costs of many jobs up to a point where they're not worth the price.
On top of that, I usually work at least a 10 hour day (not including admin etc), so to add another 3-4 hours of wasted time driving each day, well...it would have to be a really profitable job for me to be interested Shocked
adri
At the moment, I have to drive about 15 miles to school which takes me around half an hour because of the many lights and speed limitations (most roads are max. 50km/h or 30mi/h) although I do drive a little bit faster than that. Rolling Eyes

Last year, I didn't had my drivers license yet so it took me just over an hour to get there with the bus. I'm thinking of selling my car once I graduate though because it's just getting too expensive. Confused
menino
At the moment, I work as an expatriate in the middle east, in the Kuwait country, and my apartment is not too far from my workplace.
But I commute by bus, and it takes about 15 - 20 minutes, and I have to walk about 5 minutes each way.
When it gets really hot in the summer, it gets a bit inconvenient, but I'm used to it.
I guess I'm lucky, because Kuwait is a small state, and I know people who commute everyday for about 45 minutes with no traffic, but going at high speed (120 kmph, on the highway).
Whent here's traffic, its about 2 hours to reach the destination.

My cousins in India commute about 2 hours every working day, because they stay quite far from their work place, and they mainly travel by bus. Using the car does not save much time, as traffic is quite congested in India.
welshsteve
I am about a 15-20 walk away. So not very far at all
TheStripePrincess
It takes me half an hour to walk to work, which is in the town centre.
I don't mind the walk if I'm going shopping but it seems so much worse when I'm walking to work!
I guess it's because I hate my job! Haha.
Navigator
busaboss wrote:
I travel for about an hour before I can get to my school during weekdays. It is really hard when I encounter sudden traffic that really pisses me off because I want to go home early just like everybody else. Sometimes, I wish I could just fly my way to any place I would want to visit. But that seems to impossible for now. Smile

I have fantasized about a secret subway that will take you anywhere with no stops
deanhills
Navigator wrote:
busaboss wrote:

I have fantasized about a secret subway that will take you anywhere with no stops
My fantasy is to be able to beam myself to wherever I want to be. Like they do in Starwars. Very Happy
amagard
Just measured it this morning: 20 minutes ( 16 km or 10 miles ). Very acceptable. OK, we have summer vacations now, thus less traffic on the road.
I would hate to have to drive for more than 1 hour one way.
coolclay
10 mins by bike, and 15 mins by car! There are very few things in this world that could make me sit in traffic for hours each and every day!
deanhills
10 minutes walking distance. 5 minutes driving. I live TOO CLOSE to work!
TheGremlyn
Well... It used to be a 20 minute public transit bus ride... Now I have to come in early with my mom (about 30 minutes) and then I take that 20 minute bus ride again. Really? is that an hour and 40 minutes??? I'm insane! This is why I need to find another place to live downtown so I can sleep in and not spend so much time travelling. Not that it compares to those 3 hours commutes Shocked
Nick2008
About a 20 minute walk, less than 5 minutes by car. Not much traffic either because I don't have to use any of the main thruways.
Manualguidadex
The last four years, when I had a job, I spent 1 hour and 45 minutes to go to job and 2 hours to go back to home. The travel included 15 minutes by car or bus, one hour and 15 minutes of train and underground or a little walk.
bukaida
Oh man! it is a hectic journey for me. I have to travel 120 KM(to and fro) from my home to reach my office. It is by local crowded train + Bus ( on horrible road). It takes two and half hours daily ( total 5 hours) to travel this distance.
jajarvin
I have a 5 km road to travel. By driving a bicycle trip takes about 15 - 20 minutes. The journey is on foot in about 50 minutes.
testsoc
My commute takes me about fifty minutes door to door.. it's awhile but it suits me for now. Looking forward to moving closer but the house prices are much much more expensive there.

On the plus side I can catch a train with no changeover.
dapopeyoh
it takes me about an hour to get work when there isn't much traffic. When there's traffic, it takes me about two hours. Coming back home is a different story. Takes me more than 3 hours sometimes.
johans
I travel 1hour everyday to go to my office and another 1hour going home. Before my work is field work so i travel everyday and i remember i just rest if i am hungry. Most of the night i sleep only at the bus..and i did it before for 3 years.